Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Exodiuz's Vids & Video Games

View Poll Results: What do you think of E3?
Totally Amazing! 1 10.00%
Enjoying Most of it. 1 10.00%
Really only like a few things. 3 30.00%
It's "OK" 4 40.00%
Meh. 1 10.00%
Complete Fail. 0 0%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-13-2017, 01:01 PM   #1
Josh-a-tron
"Revenge is a Dish Best Served Cold"
Sculptor

E3 2017 Take Aways

So this is just my personal takes from the Show so far. I'll go through each of the large Conferences and just give what I think is the good, the bad and the eh, it's okay. Please feel free to do the same.

EA Games - Honestly I don't know what to make of EA at this point. While Anthem from Bioware looks great and their usual E3 staples were all present including a long look at Battlefront II, where were all the surprises that they've been talking about since last year?

Where is Visceral's Star Wars game?

I think EA played way too safe and basically gave us the same old thing they give us at every E3, Some FIFA, Some Madden and a few games inbetween, though Battlefront II did look great.

Microsoft - Well we finally got to see the Xbox on X(formerly Project Scorpio) and it is a beast and it is probably the console that should have been developed in the first place, but hindsight is always 20/20. This console will be everything Xbox owners will want, the question is at $499.99, are they willing to chuck more money at Microsoft to get it? We'll see. One major feature though that I think will get more people interested is that even on a 1080P TV the Xbox One X will upscale and use a larger color palette to make games look even better.

Here's the real question though, where was the first part support for this beast? They really only had Forza 7 at the show, which was beautiful but hey, if I were launching a system like this I'd probably want my heavy hitters shown off. Sure, 3rd part games will be there, but without a nice chunk of Exclusive games that will run in native 4k, who's going to buy it?

Another good aspect from the MS conference though was Original Xbox Backwards compatibility. It was like getting a big hug from MS for being an Xbox player all these years.

Bethesda - A very short show from Bethesda, I believe it clocked in at under an hour. But that's honestly because there wasn't ton to show. The big drops were the Evil within 2, which we some a bit of but a lot of trailer hype and Wolfenstein 2: The New Colossus, most of the other games shown were either VR counter parts to existing games or add-on/DLC for exsisting games. While what we got to see from the new drops was good, it just wasn't enough for me and honestly I was left cold by the whole thing.

Ubisoft - Well Ubisoft had a decent showing. The new Assassin's Creed was shown at the Microsoft conference running on the XB1X and it is truly stunning in 4k. Teases for Farcry 5 and the Crew 2 were also shown and looked really good. Nearly forgot to mention Skull and Bones, which we didn't get to see any game play but the Cinematic trailer looked great.

Their WTF moment came by them bringing out Just Dance at E3...really does anyone still play these?

They also reaffirmed that Beyond Good and Evil 2 is coming...when is the real question.

Sony - This might have been the safest, yet most fast paced show I've ever seen from Sony. There really weren't a whole lot of "Holy Crap" moments, as most of what we were shown as far as AAA titles where already shown last year. The Remake of Shadow of the Colossus looked very good, although the Colossus' looked smaller than what I remember from the original game. There were a smattering of VR titles. and of course another look at the new God of War and Detroit: Become Human, though the real highlight was the Spider-man Game play trailer. The game looked amazing.(pun intended)

Over all though I think I was a little disappointed. Usually Sony is good for at least one "didn't see that coming" moment.

Nintendo - Wow, Nintendo...well at least it's a little wow. Nintendo did what honestly I thought they had to do with the Switch, give long time Nintendo fans rush of nostalgia, but I get to that in a second.

First let me just say that it's a bit a surprise seeing Nintendo bring out a JRPG, pretty cool of them to add Xenoblade chronicles to the switch line up. Also bringing back old favorites like new Yoshi and Kirby games will go a long with with a varying audience. Mario Odyssey looked pretty great and like a lot of fun even though we'd already seen it and adding a good title like Rocket League will help the switch as well.

But the wow came from Metroid Prime 4, even though we didn't get to see the actual game, the fact that's it's coming is fantastic and maybe...just maybe, Nintendo is going to really go all out with the switch. Which would be a great thing. Have to say that was the surprise I was looking for through the entire conference schedule. I'm a bit surprised it came from Nintendo.

My Final take, I'm pretty disappointed in the show overall. Not that there weren't bright spots, I think there just wasn't enough of them. The show isn't a total wash, but honestly I was really hoping that Microsoft would pull out a few more stops with the launch of the XB1X and I thought Sony would do as much as possible to shine a light on themselves with Hardware coming out for the competition. The fact that neither happened either means there are games that are in the works and just aren't ready to show, or both came woefully under prepared to try and blow people's socks off this year.

Well, we can always look forward to next year.

Last edited by Josh-a-tron; 06-13-2017 at 03:37 PM.
Josh-a-tron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 02:06 PM   #2
Grayfox117
Cross country skiing is great if you live in a small country.

Personally as someone who already owns both a Ps4 and Xbone . I'm not happy about Sony and MS releasing a ver 1.5 of they're systems. They should of been like that from the get go or they should of waited until the next real system release. It's great for those who don't have one but a slap in the face to those who supported them at the beginning. I don't have a 4k also but even if I did not sure I'd pick one up.
Power without good games means nothing. I've been play Zelda on the switch for almost two months now. That system is nowhere near as powerful as two "new" systems but the game itself is amazing. Which to me is more important. Hopefully they (more MS than Sony) will have more great well rounded games than just shiny 4k HDR look at me games.

As for the rest of the show these got my attention
Shadow of Colossus
Detroit
God of War
Uncharted lost legacy
Ori
Anthem
Days gone
COD WW 2
Minecraft 4K
Grayfox117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 03:19 PM   #3
NorthernLadMSP
Jedi Order

So extremely disappointed in what I'm seeing of Marvel vs. Capcom Infinite.

This is 2017 and they're still doing the same tired formula they were doing 10 years ago, not to mention how bland the character choices look so far. Extreme lack of female characters also pisses me off a bit.
NorthernLadMSP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 03:40 PM   #4
Josh-a-tron
Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernLadMSP View Post
So extremely disappointed in what I'm seeing of Marvel vs. Capcom Infinite.

This is 2017 and they're still doing the same tired formula they were doing 10 years ago, not to mention how bland the character choices look so far. Extreme lack of female characters also pisses me off a bit.
Honestly MvC3 looks better than Infinite. I've come to the point where I honestly think when it comes to new fighting games Capcom is out it's depth. When you see games like Mortal Kombat X and Injustice 2, MvCI just looks tired.
Old 06-13-2017, 04:18 PM   #5
NorthernLadMSP
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh-a-tron View Post
Honestly MvC3 looks better than Infinite. I've come to the point where I honestly think when it comes to new fighting games Capcom is out it's depth. When you see games like Mortal Kombat X and Injustice 2, MvCI just looks tired.
I've decided, despite my love for Marvel, that I'm going to wait until the game is severely discounted, like $20 or less.

Playing Injustice 2 over the past few weeks has made me realize how truly awesome a fighting game can be, and going back (giant steps back) to this basic Street Fighter-esque type of game will bore me to tears after a few days.

EDIT: Oh, plus there's not a single X-Men character in the game (and I believe only 4 females total in the entire roster). Screw that noise.
NorthernLadMSP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 06:32 PM   #6
damienjakk
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Biggest disappointment for me is easily God of War 4. I thought maybe that last trailer was a tech demo but with this new one it's clear that they are going for a more cinematic approach and combat is taking a back seat in favor of this. No thanks.

As for Marvel, I'll give the demo a whirl tonight, but I agree it's kinda tired looking much like SF5.
damienjakk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 10:46 AM   #7
Josh-a-tron
Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by damienjakk View Post
Biggest disappointment for me is easily God of War 4. I thought maybe that last trailer was a tech demo but with this new one it's clear that they are going for a more cinematic approach and combat is taking a back seat in favor of this. No thanks.

As for Marvel, I'll give the demo a whirl tonight, but I agree it's kinda tired looking much like SF5.
I think GoW looks great, but I'm not sure of the whole Kid dynamic and how that's going to work through the game.

I think Capcom needs to rethink their fighting games. They need something to keep it fresh.
Old 06-14-2017, 10:46 AM   #8
qz33
Rescue

^ When will game makers learn you can't cover up poor gameplay with a feature film of pre-rendered visuals?

BUT we do get Metroid Prime 4 which will hopefully be good enough for the moon to explode.
qz33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 10:52 AM   #9
Josh-a-tron
Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by qz33 View Post
^ When will game makers learn you can't cover up poor gameplay with a feature film of pre-rendered visuals?

BUT we do get Metroid Prime 4 which will hopefully be good enough for the moon to explode.
I was waiting on buying a Switch to see what else they were going to put out. I mean don't get me wrong I love Zelda and Mario, but to slap down money on another console I need more than that. I think Metroid Prime 4 just convinced me. If they're finally willing to put a Metroid Game again, then I think they may actually try to give this system a good selection of games.

I think I'm in.
Old 06-14-2017, 12:54 PM   #10
MrJones
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

Well I don't know if I'm just easy to please but I thought E3 was pretty awesome... and I have only watched maybe 1/2 of the pressers. Namely, I watched the Microsoft one as that is the only system I have and I'm quite excited for the Xbox One X. Even as someone who doesn't play games all that much, AND I upgraded my old XB1 to the XB1 S already, I'm fine with upgrading again. The way I see it is I will get a 4k player soon which is worth a couple hundred bucks on it's own. Paying another $300 for a console upgrade doesn't bother me. I figure I'll get hundreds of hours of entertainment out of it - and to me that's a bloody good deal.

As for the games, I guess I'm a little disappointed now I think of it. But I am still excited for Anthem and the new AC. I think I'll have to borrow my brother's PS4 just to play the new Spiderman and GoW as they both look pretty great.

Zero interest in Nintendo.
MrJones is offline   Reply With Quote