Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 11-21-2020, 11:46 AM   #11
Josh-a-tron
"Revenge is a Dish Best Served Cold"
Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Python View Post
I really enjoyed Predators, I revisited it again recently actually and enjoyed it again. It had a decent cast, high production values and a few good looking creatures. If we get all of that from this new movie, I'll be happy. But yeah, The Predator was beyond awful, I'm not sure I can think of a single redeeming feature from it?
I did as well, I thought Robert Rodriguez's production take was pretty amazing. I'd also be fine with them doing a sequel to Predator 2 since it takes place in a "alternate future" type time period.
Josh-a-tron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 12:08 PM   #12
Python
Omega Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh-a-tron View Post
I did as well, I thought Robert Rodriguez's production take was pretty amazing. I'd also be fine with them doing a sequel to Predator 2 since it takes place in a "alternate future" type time period.
Just to put it out there, I looked up the budgets for a reply on the other board.

Predators $40m

The Predator $88m

Shocking really given that Predators is superior in every single way. But it does go to show that a decent movie can be made on a relatively modest budget if they are smart about it.
Python is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 12:21 PM   #13
Mister H
Green Goblin

I’ve always wanted to see a little bit of the Predator home world.
Mister H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 12:23 PM   #14
Josh-a-tron
Sculptor

Quote:
Just to put it out there, I looked up the budgets for a reply on the other board.

Predators $40m

The Predator $88m

Shocking really given that Predators is superior in every single way. But it does go to show that a decent movie can be made on a relatively modest budget if they are smart about it.
Well if you look at Rodriguez's track record, whether it's directing or producing he's only really ever done two films over $50mil. Sin City: A Dame to Kill For, which he probably could have done for cheaper, and Alita: Battle Angel, which was James Cameron producing and there was no way that movie was going to be cheap.

I think if you get the right people who know how to keep a budget low you'll get a good film and keep it profitable.
Old 11-21-2020, 01:42 PM   #15
CessnaDriver
Suicide Squad

Quote:
Well if you look at Rodriguez's track record, whether it's directing or producing he's only really ever done two films over $50mil. Sin City: A Dame to Kill For, which he probably could have done for cheaper, and Alita: Battle Angel, which was James Cameron producing and there was no way that movie was going to be cheap.

I think if you get the right people who know how to keep a budget low you'll get a good film and keep it profitable.

Tight budgets force innovation and creative directions because you have no choice. Big budget CGI fests where one can do anything at all without concern have a downside to that.

Lucas did his best when he was suffering, limited, and not surrounded by yes men for example.

Practical FX often bring in things you didn't expect, paths you never would have taken. Unlike CGI that gives you exactly what you ask for. Even force the story to be more clever to get around not being able to show all of space shire 7.

Who knows were the industry is going with covid and theaters. I hope the vaccines fix all that and we can go back to cheering in a crowd in theaters again.

But if I ran a studio, instead of planning all big budget must succeed blockbusters, I'd say let's make one less, and take that 200 million budget and cut it into 20 ten million budgets and bring in new film makers from all walks and see what they come up with. Odds are sooner or later you will find the next amazing original creators.

The mid seventies and eighties was a big bang explosion of creativity that many films today still echo with all the sequels and prequels and remakes, but of course it gets tedious and boring.

We need a new big bang.
CessnaDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 02:35 PM   #16
Shoo
The Enchantress

Quote:
But yeah, The Predator was beyond awful, I'm not sure I can think of a single redeeming feature from it?
... It got a few laughs out of me.
Shoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 07:22 PM   #17
Josh-a-tron
Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CessnaDriver View Post
Tight budgets force innovation and creative directions because you have no choice. Big budget CGI fests where one can do anything at all without concern have a downside to that.

Lucas did his best when he was suffering, limited, and not surrounded by yes men for example.

Practical FX often bring in things you didn't expect, paths you never would have taken. Unlike CGI that gives you exactly what you ask for. Even force the story to be more clever to get around not being able to show all of space shire 7.

Who knows were the industry is going with covid and theaters. I hope the vaccines fix all that and we can go back to cheering in a crowd in theaters again.

But if I ran a studio, instead of planning all big budget must succeed blockbusters, I'd say let's make one less, and take that 200 million budget and cut it into 20 ten million budgets and bring in new film makers from all walks and see what they come up with. Odds are sooner or later you will find the next amazing original creators.

The mid seventies and eighties was a big bang explosion of creativity that many films today still echo with all the sequels and prequels and remakes, but of course it gets tedious and boring.

We need a new big bang.
I think it depends on the type of film you're trying to make. I do agree that there needs to be separate pools of films though. I appreciate the Large Scale tentpools like the MCU, because most superhero comics need that type of large scale to bring the comics to life. Its difficult to create all the wonderful powers and things without them.

However, I also think you're correct about lower budget films, especially smaller scale sci-fi and horror films. There is no need for a 200mil budget for these kinds of films, look at 2017's IT, 35mil. budget, IT chapter two, $79mil, granted a lot of that is spent on casting, but the smaller budgeted film by in large is considered the better film and has less CGI.

I think Blumhouse, at times, has the right idea. Small Budgets, new directors and talent, but I kinda wish they'd expand their genre base a bit more.
Old 11-21-2020, 08:36 PM   #18
CessnaDriver
Suicide Squad

Quote:
I think it depends on the type of film you're trying to make. I do agree that there needs to be separate pools of films though. I appreciate the Large Scale tentpools like the MCU, because most superhero comics need that type of large scale to bring the comics to life. Its difficult to create all the wonderful powers and things without them.

However, I also think you're correct about lower budget films, especially smaller scale sci-fi and horror films. There is no need for a 200mil budget for these kinds of films, look at 2017's IT, 35mil. budget, IT chapter two, $79mil, granted a lot of that is spent on casting, but the smaller budgeted film by in large is considered the better film and has less CGI.

I think Blumhouse, at times, has the right idea. Small Budgets, new directors and talent, but I kinda wish they'd expand their genre base a bit more.

Oh yeah, not ripping on big budgets necessarily, MCU has given me some of the happiest theater moments of my life, no small miracle.
CessnaDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 07:08 AM   #19
abubakarhimself
Justice League

Quote:
I really enjoyed Predators, I revisited it again recently actually and enjoyed it again. It had a decent cast, high production values and a few good looking creatures.
I second this sentiment.. but I found the predator charming, except that bit at the end
abubakarhimself is offline   Reply With Quote