Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Premium Collectible Studio

Old 12-29-2020, 04:56 PM   #21
V4XCollect
What happens if you get scared half to death twice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralek View Post
Been looking forward to this for months, definitely since I picked up the EX for their PS4 Spider-Man. Sadly, I am not feeling it as I was looking to display Miles with said Spidey and the upcoming, absolutely gorgeous Venom 1:3 scale piece.

The suit looks dope, but the pose is just a poor match for the dynamic poses struck by both Spidey and Venom - I don't think it would gel all that well displayed together.

Also, and this is a nitpick but still, I don't like the electricity effect. It looks a tad cheap, like those S.H.Figuarts Special Effect pieces I use for my figmas. More importantly though these look have the same fire/flamme-like look. I'm just not getting spark'y electricity vibes of it.

Still, if the pose were more dynamic - at least enough to reasonably match Spidey and Venom - I would not mind this nitpick, as the suit looks amazing. Honestly, while the base looks fine, it feels really at odds with the hulking and gorgeous bases for - again - both Spidey and Venom.

If I was looking for a standalone Miles piece, this would be an easy sell though - no argument there. Nothing inherently wrong with the sculpt or details. Just doesn't go with the rest of line Spider-line (so far).

Any chance we might ever see a more dynamic version of Miles down the road? :-)
Likely-hood of seeing another 1/3 Miles especially one that matches the game is incredibly low to none anytime within the next couple years perhaps.

In reference to dynamic vs non-dynamic, it's all about how you'll have it arranged. If all 3 are just next to each other it may bother you. However, if you put Peter Parker facing Venom in one section of your collection and then put Miles in another section then shouldn't be such an issue. Or put Miles at a different level of a cabinet than the other two would also work. Just a thought...
V4XCollect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 06:48 PM   #22
Peedi
The Secret Six

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadGhostKnight View Post
Ant posted on Facebook he's got the price down to $1000 and $1050 for the EX. EX seems like a no brainer and good on him to continue to get the prices down.

I think this looks fantastic! And Spiderman came out brilliantly.
As someone who complained about the price, that’s very commendable for him to seek any kind of price drop. Thanks goes out to him for getting that done.
Peedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 06:53 PM   #23
shooterch
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

Awesome.

Congratulations to PCS on one awesome statue.

Absolutley love the museum pose, and prefer it to dynamic at this scale.

love the stoic pose as Miles is standing on a snowy rooftop, and that portrait looks amazing.

Look forward to more Museum style Spider-Man pieces at this scale.

Great work.
shooterch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 07:02 PM   #24
Peedi
The Secret Six

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcyon View Post

And can the thin red lines be painted like that without smears on the black?
Although slightly larger lines, looking at the brown piping on Spidey’s costume they did a good job.

I know on Peter statues the black lines are carved into the sculpt and typically the black lines are washed or sprayed in, I’m probably describing that wrong. With Miles’ webs being raised instead of indented, I’d like to see a video of that paint process.

Also Sideshow pulled it off on their smaller 1/4 statue. So I’d expect PCS to pull it off
Old 12-29-2020, 07:08 PM   #25
Peedi
The Secret Six

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralek View Post
Been looking forward to this for months, definitely since I picked up the EX for their PS4 Spider-Man. Sadly, I am not feeling it as I was looking to display Miles with said Spidey and the upcoming, absolutely gorgeous Venom 1:3 scale piece.

The suit looks dope, but the pose is just a poor match for the dynamic poses struck by both Spidey and Venom - I don't think it would gel all that well displayed together.

Also, and this is a nitpick but still, I don't like the electricity effect. It looks a tad cheap, like those S.H.Figuarts Special Effect pieces I use for my figmas. More importantly though these look have the same fire/flamme-like look. I'm just not getting spark'y electricity vibes of it.

Still, if the pose were more dynamic - at least enough to reasonably match Spidey and Venom - I would not mind this nitpick, as the suit looks amazing. Honestly, while the base looks fine, it feels really at odds with the hulking and gorgeous bases for - again - both Spidey and Venom.

If I was looking for a standalone Miles piece, this would be an easy sell though - no argument there. Nothing inherently wrong with the sculpt or details. Just doesn't go with the rest of line Spider-line (so far).

Any chance we might ever see a more dynamic version of Miles down the road? :-)
Typically I don’t like museum poses but I think because I have a dynamic Miles with the Sideshow PF I’m not bothered that this one is museum. I don’t need to display it with my 1/3 Spidey. To me he’s in a dedicated recreation of a specific event from that game so Miles even in an action pose wouldn’t look right next to him with that huge Mr. Negative head there lol. Just speaking for myself.

If I had a complaint it’s not the sculpt itself, it’s Miles’ video game model to begin with. He has a weird face and he’s too light skin. As a reader of Miles since day 1 he’s always been a brown boy. As a matter of fact, Miles looks African American although he’s biracial, and it’s intentional, as the older 616 Miles looks more Hispanic. I guess the game just wanted to switch things up.
Old 01-01-2021, 03:43 PM   #26
Halcyon
New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peedi View Post
Also Sideshow pulled it off on their smaller 1/4 statue. So I’d expect PCS to pull it off

I forgot about that SS miles, but the ss spider-man line were all smooth surface statues. These Pcs ones have the 'basketball pattern' which make it even more diff I guess.

When done right it will look amazing.
Halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 07:16 PM   #27
dao2
Cyclops

It can if they do a good job, they did with the last spider man.
dao2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 10:36 AM   #28
Ralek
Fantastic Four

Quote:
Originally Posted by V4XCollect View Post
Likely-hood of seeing another 1/3 Miles especially one that matches the game is incredibly low to none anytime within the next couple years perhaps.

In reference to dynamic vs non-dynamic, it's all about how you'll have it arranged. If all 3 are just next to each other it may bother you. However, if you put Peter Parker facing Venom in one section of your collection and then put Miles in another section then shouldn't be such an issue. Or put Miles at a different level of a cabinet than the other two would also work. Just a thought...
You are probably right, that yet another Miles is not in the books anytime soon - unfortunately.

As for your point about dynamic vs museum-pose, I think you are not necessarily wrong, but to me, the point is that I kinda wanted to display this one tohether with the Venom and PS4 Spider-Man and due to the fact, that these are big 1/3 pieces with Venom being clsoe to 1m tall in size, I'm not sure I have the option to arrange these in a manner that the profoundly different styles would not bother me. I actually thought about placing Miles on an adjacent shelf higher to Venom, but I dunno, maybe, it would be a super tight fit at best and might seem "crammed".

I'll admit that I am not as partial to Miles 'Insomniac' suit as I am to Peter's which is currently my favourite and really one of the main reasons I definitely had to that piece.
Like I said though, it is good looking piece and I do not begrudge PCS designing it this way. Peter + Venom will no doubt look insane together anyways! :-)
Ralek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 10:45 AM   #29
Ralek
Fantastic Four

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peedi View Post
Typically I don’t like museum poses but I think because I have a dynamic Miles with the Sideshow PF I’m not bothered that this one is museum. I don’t need to display it with my 1/3 Spidey. To me he’s in a dedicated recreation of a specific event from that game so Miles even in an action pose wouldn’t look right next to him with that huge Mr. Negative head there lol. Just speaking for myself.

If I had a complaint it’s not the sculpt itself, it’s Miles’ video game model to begin with. He has a weird face and he’s too light skin. As a reader of Miles since day 1 he’s always been a brown boy. As a matter of fact, Miles looks African American although he’s biracial, and it’s intentional, as the older 616 Miles looks more Hispanic. I guess the game just wanted to switch things up.
I hear that, but I'll think it won't bother me personally. The Spidey Mr. Negative base has a very liquid'ish flow and gleam to it. I think it'll go pretty good with the liquid-like Venom one. I'll just think of it as Spidey doing a two-one against Venom and Mr. Negative, which is really not that uncommon or anything. I did not happen (yet) in the game, but that's fine by me.

As for Miles' tone, you have a good point there, but I would never display him unmasked myself anyways, so these kind of additional portraits never matter to me and I don't pay close attention to them. The only ones I saw so far, that I would consider displaying unmasked are the Iron Studios Spider-Verse ones. That would make sense imho as they look good as well as accurate as well as distinct enough.

The PCS sculpt is not bad, but I dunno, the face is never really 1:1 consistent in the books due to different artists and this kind of pseudo-realistic face from a 3D game always gives me uncanny-valley creeps anyways.

So yeah, only masked ones and comicquettes for me personally, though even with the latter I am very picky. I have all the JSC Spider-Man Statues by Sideshow, but the neweset one with MJ and Peter I'll have to skip. The portrait looks a lot better now than with the initial reveal, but I just don't digg seeing Peter's face.

Maybe it ruins the self-insert fantasy, but it just ticks me off for some reason
Ralek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 11:09 PM   #30
PacMan3000
The Spirit

How come this is up for order, but all the photos seem to be of renders rather than the prototype? Is that normal for PCS? I've only ordered the TMNT statues from them, but come order time, all of the images were of the painted prototype.

This route for the Miles statue seems unusual to me.
PacMan3000 is offline   Reply With Quote