Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 07-16-2013, 12:38 AM   #11
samhain88
U talkin' to me?

So, I got a response from George through Facebook. He won't be doing any more pre-con commission lists this year due to his workload. But he did say he will be doing quickie head sketches for $40. What kind of quality can I expect from that kind of sketch?

And the bigger question, what character to get? I want a Deathstroke, but what is a character that would get the most bang for your buck within that type of headsketch?
samhain88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 02:14 AM   #12
Wrothy
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Here are some con sketches that my wife and I obtained when George was recently in Perth. The first was included in the price of the particular entry tickets we bought. The other was an extra piece that I paid George for, which admittedly may be a little more detailed than normal based on the size of the page and the fact that I had already paid him for a full-on pre-commission sketch that I had picked up the previous day.

I was going to ask him for Green Goblin, but the guy in line in front of me asked for him first. That turned out great as well.

The other piece we got (Luke Cage) included in the price ended up going to a friend, and I can't locate a picture of it at the moment.

Basically, you're much better off going for a character with a more complex-looking face than one with a full-face mask if you're looking for bang-for-buck.
Wrothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 10:16 AM   #13
carlito1978
Hellfire Club

great advice on getting more bang for your buck on the complicated pieces.

i got this one from george a year back when he was only $25 for headshot:

http://www.comicartfans.com/galleryp...p?piece=883013

he also did the tygra on my jam as his wait in line piece - pretty much an ink job but i feel like i got a steal for $40.

http://www.comicartfans.com/galleryp...p?piece=924436
carlito1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 11:03 AM   #14
dcd747
A day without sunshine is like... night.

My suggestion would be to do an advanced search on Comic Art Fans for George Perez. Limit it to "convention sketches" and even then, you'll have to weed out the ones that were obviously pre-con commissions. All the simple marker-only pieces will be his $40 quickies.

Like I had mentioned before, he obviously does an awesome Deathstroke but it lacks some of the detail of the other pieces. That, and the fact that he doesn't really do any shading on these pieces makes Deathstroke one of the less-desirable options, in my opinion. He just doens't look quite right without half of his face coloured dark. If you're willing to do him mask-less, you might be more pleased with the results.

It really is amazing to see him put out such great work in five minutes. Incredible to watch the master at work!
dcd747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 11:36 AM   #15
carlito1978
Hellfire Club

another thought is to get the quickie and have a talented inker or colorist fill it in for you. i've seen some people on CAF do that for a perez or hughes quickie that have turned out great.

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryP...93&GSub=116424

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryP...25&GSub=143429

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryP...672&GSub=37391
carlito1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 11:01 PM   #16
marvelboi77
Spider-Woman #1 Fan

Going the quick route get Deathstroke. Wonder Woman and others are just a let down with the quick sketch. I think Deathstroke, Rave, Robin, Nightwing, Wondgirl would all make great quick sketch ones. But not Wonder Woman, Scarlet Witch or anyone elaborate.
marvelboi77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 10:50 PM   #17
samhain88
U talkin' to me?

Thanks everyone for all the tips! That's why this place rocks, you guys are the best. I think I may just get Deathstroke, maybe without the mask for a more detailed sketch. Whatever I get, I will be sure to post it in this thread next month!
samhain88 is offline   Reply With Quote