Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 09-10-2020, 02:07 PM   #381
pdenham
Teen Titans

I'm not having too much luck with the Hawk family.

I knew I was in trouble when the brown shipper showed up looking just fine and almost brand new.

That's how fate teases ya
pdenham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 06:02 AM   #382
French Cancan
Deadman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demona View Post

Just a SideNote post:
My favorite posts are the one with small pic thumbnails that I can clock on if I want to make it larger. Won't lie, whenever I see a large pic, I just scroll past it because there is no point in even trying to look at it because it doesn't all fit on my screen.
+1
#AttachedToMyThumbnail
French Cancan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 06:19 AM   #383
French Cancan
Deadman

I'm still in love with this sculpture...
I was shocked to see on the first photos this stupid black makeup probably painted with a trowel. I find it hard to overcome this retinal persistence. The difference between the portrait of the prototype and that of the production can't be unseen. When I look at the quality of the portraits of Red Sonja and Lady Deadpool, so similar to the protos, it is clear that having the same quality for Hawkgirl wasn't an impossible mission.
So...

Yeah, Lana. Exactly.
French Cancan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 11:50 AM   #384
AlexLothos
What's another word for Thesaurus?

Quote:
Originally Posted by French Cancan View Post
I'm still in love with this sculpture...
I was shocked to see on the first photos this stupid black makeup probably painted with a trowel. I find it hard to overcome this retinal persistence. The difference between the portrait of the prototype and that of the production can't be unseen. When I look at the quality of the portraits of Red Sonja and Lady Deadpool, so similar to the protos, it is clear that having the same quality for Hawkgirl wasn't an impossible mission.
So...

Yeah, Lana. Exactly.

It also doesn't help seeing these great Gambits going around. He's spot on and nearly exactly like the proto.
AlexLothos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 07:58 PM   #385
Professor
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Got mine in earlier this week and really like it. I ended up going with the screaming portrait because it relays so much emotion. My wife and coworkers really like it also. I'm very happy with her. I planned on using the portrait without the helmet but the screaming portrait just goes with the action and emotion of the sculpt.
Professor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 05:20 PM   #386
thecollector80
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

Body sculpt is good but noticed the forehead is a bit large in a lot of pics here...
thecollector80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 06:01 PM   #387
pdenham
Teen Titans

Lens distortion is playing a part in many of the photos.

I still maintain there is distortion introduced in the casting of just about all the heads of statues from SS. Hawkgirl's portrait is no more affected than anything else- at least on my sample.

Early photos did this no favor and people like myself didn't help matters by conflating them with SS's reluctance to show off the production sample of the unmasked portrait prior to shipping.

The statue got a bad rap early on, but if you've liked the looks of it when it was first revealed, you shouldn't be disappointed by it in person.
The best of these things are never 100% to the prototypes. Hawkgirl may not be as good as Gambit, but it's also nowhere near anything like the movie WW PF from a couple years ago.

IMO, It's just "fine".
pdenham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 06:40 PM   #388
SwanShadow
Fantastic Four

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdenham View Post
The statue got a bad rap early on, but if you've liked the looks of it when it was first revealed, you shouldn't be disappointed by it in person.
I'll second this. I was immediately drawn to this Hawkgirl at first reveal, even though I don't have any real connection to the character, and I've not been any less pleased since I've had her in hand. I actually like the masked portrait more in person than I did in photos, which surprised me. I switch between the two portraits frequently, and love the statue both ways.

It is, as I've said before, a difficult piece to photograph. Even if you know what to look for, getting the right angle to make her look her best is a challenge.
SwanShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 09:22 PM   #389
djmogo89
Justice League

The exclusive is “Almost Sold Out” in case someone is still sitting on the fence about getting this piece.
djmogo89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 04:24 PM   #390
BurningRage
Inhumans

EX on wait list.
BurningRage is offline   Reply With Quote