Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Action Figures / Toys / Trading Cards

Old 05-24-2005, 12:16 AM   #1
Azog
Sailor Moon

Nightmare Demon from SOTA

Did not want a first week to go by with out a figure review, I am working on a few new ones so you will get some treats very soon...

Introduction

Today I am looking at one of the figures from SOTA Toys' Now Playing Series 1, the Nightmare Demon from American Werewolf in London. Other figures in the series include Darkman and the Toxic Avenger. SOTA started in 1997 sculpting and designing for other companies such as Toybiz and Diamond Select. They have since started their own toy company which has produced the popular Street Fighter figures. The Nightmare Demon has four head sculpts, and is packaged with two heads included. Each Nightmare Demon comes with the classic bald demon and fiery base, however the difference is a more deformed wolf head and a weapon accessory either a knife or machine gun. We will be looking at the helmeted head variant, which is also the only one to come with the machine gun.

The Demon Soldiers plagued the dreams of David Kessler, who was bitten by a werewolf while trekking through the British countryside. Representing dead German Soldiers who hunted the werewolves down, the Nightmare Demons were truly the things nightmares are made of.

Sculpt/Articulation

Just a reminder, SOTA also sculpted the Mystique Mini Bust from Diamond Select we review sometime ago. I have collected figures for many years from Hasbro to McFarlane Toys, and I must say, I have not seen better sculpting on an action figure. From head to toe the quality of the sculpt is excellent, so well that paint shading on the face and clothes is not even used, because the detail is enough to cast its own shadows. The alternate head is very detailed as well, showing the facial decay and worn look of the helmet. The clothing folds are superbly sculpted, creases, sew lines, pockets and belt details come through very nicely. The base is nicely done with sculpted flames, wood, and brick. The hands are sculpted to hold the machine gun, the right holds the stock, while the left has a small divet to hold the repeater.

The figure has ball jointed shoulder and neck, disc cut elbows, hands, waist, and boots. Not very much, but it remains practical for a figure thats main purpose is display.

Paint

The paint is as impressive if not more so than the sculpting. There is not the first paint run between seams, nor where clothing meets flesh, however there is a bit on the belt buckle, which is a very tiny detailed area. Hand and boots are solid black, the uniform is a military green, and the main head is a tan flesh tone. Like I said earlier the use of dry brush techniques to show detail and shadowing is not used on this figure because of the detailed sculpting.

Accessories

If the figure is weak anywhere its accessories, with only the machine gun and base, and some may include the alternate head as an accessory, but regardless there is a minimal amount of accessories. In my opinion the machine gun is the better accessory than the knife that comes with the other variants.

Conclusion

Featuring one of the best action figure sculpts to date, topping my opinion on the Captain Jack Sparrow from NECA, the Now Playing Series, if consistent with this figure, should not disappoint collectors. The figure is weak in articulation and accessories but more than makes up for it in sculpture and paint application. The Now Playing Series has not caught on with many brick and mortar stores how it is available at several online stores.

Azog is offline   Reply With Quote