Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 03-20-2021, 08:33 PM   #221
AC_808
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by adee View Post
Whew what a marathon.

The good
Overall I thought it was much better than the theatrical cut. The additional scenes made the movie much more coherent especially around Cyborg. Flash was much less annoying and I also liked Superman and Batman's portals much more in this cut. I also enjoyed the addition of Apokolips and Darkseid. I was glad to see him get rid of some of the parts I hated like Superman's 'Do you bleed' line. Less of Eisenberg can only be seen as a good thing.

The bad
I felt there was a lot added that was totally unnecessary like the women signing when Aquaman went back in the water and the woman smelling his clothes. What the hell was that about? Martian Manhunter looked terrible in my opinion and added nothing to the story. Even the nightmare scene made very little sense other than to try and set up a sequel we'll probably never see. The tone of the movie was still not right and much to dark for a Justice League movie. It lacked wonderment and inspiration but I was totally prepared for that as all of his movies miss the mark in that respect.

While I thought it was overall much improved I still can't go as far as to say it was good. It just sucked less.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh-a-tron View Post
You pretty much summed up my exact thoughts. Better touches on both Flash and Cyborg. Also Wonder Woman was done well, I wish 1984 had the same use of her power.

However too many scenes that Slo-mo really didn't need to be used in or of people just standing there that do not drive the plot of the film forward in any way.

It's a better film, but still feels like it's missing so much as far as some of the characters are concerned and yet is bloated with non-plot driven scenes that don't need to be there.

Glad for the Synder fans that wanted, but it's time to move on for DC. Maybe we'll actually get a DC Filmverse that works at some point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by built2shred View Post
Snyder is great at action scenes but when it comes to story telling he is definitely lacking... He really does need someone else to write and cast the movies...

With Wonder Woman 1984 being a joke and complete disaster of a film, they need to reboot the whole thing... Fire everyone and just start from scratch… They need to find their own version of Kevin Feige to run DC...
These are my assessments as well.

It's a better movie ...only because it filled in some gaps. Storytelling was still poor, tho. It really needed more character building ...and allow the audience to get invested in the characters. Most of all, Snyder should've tried to capture more of the true character of each hero already established in the comics.

The whole movie was in perpetual night scenes. Which is indicative of Snyder's movie style. Too dark ...too depressing. Metropolis looked as dull as Gotham. Atlantis looked dead ...devoid of life and in disarray. Only Themyscira had color ...but wasn't as vibrant as what an island should be.

And what I didn't like the most? Batman was not Batman in this movie. He has no superpowers, but should have been more mobile and more effective against the para-demons. He should've been more the strategist when fighting against Steppenwolf. He should've been able to figure out Steppenwolf's weakness and exploit it during the last fight. I could go on, but I'll stop there.

Happy for the Snyder fans, but this movie was just ok.
AC_808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 10:06 PM   #222
warhead
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Better but still no WOW!, I set the bar low to not be too dissapointed and it worked.
warhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 02:29 AM   #223
WhistlingTime
Birdman

I'm thankful that studios push to keep runtime to a reasonable length. I imagine we'd get marathon movies like this far too often if it wasn't for theatres. I don't mind a long movie but sometimes directors aren't as discriminating with their scenes/edits as they could be.

It was certainly better than the theatrical but, in my opinion, not really worthy of all the hype/build-up. If nothing else, it was just nice not to see that CGI Cavill lip and Steppenwolf face. And it was good to see more of a team effort at the end, rather than just having Superman single-handedly save the day.

A few other random thoughts:

I thought I'd find the 4:3 a bit weird but, not long into it, I didn't really notice it any more. Not sure if it actually added any value to the film.

I still think Gadot and Cavill are good in their roles and I'd like to see them continue. It did remind me just how great Gadot's Wonder Woman is when her action is shot and choreographed well.

Leto's Joker sounded a lot more Ledger-like in line-delivery. Plus, that nightmare sequence didn't feel like it really belonged in there.

Why would J'onn J'onzz introduce himself as Martian Manhunter? Seems like a strange way to present yourself as a new friend.

There's been some serious merchandising with Superman's black suit but I didn't see much point to it outside of fan-service. It felt odd at the end when it was still black under his shirt.
WhistlingTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 07:51 AM   #224
Gerard
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

It is wonderful. Don't listen the haters ...
Gerard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 12:21 PM   #225
azurepred
Zot

I pretty much disagree with most of you guys that have posted. Usually it's the SSF board guys who are more critical lol. I thought it was great. Everything was better about it than the theatrical garbage they put out. I want to see Snyder finish this off.

And why do people still complain that these DC movies are too dark or depressing? Have you not watched the animated DC films either? It's much of the same. I don't want DC films trying to be like Marvel. They chose dark and violent, stick to it.
azurepred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 02:00 PM   #226
Josh-a-tron
"Revenge is a Dish Best Served Cold"
Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by azurepred View Post
I pretty much disagree with most of you guys that have posted. Usually it's the SSF board guys who are more critical lol. I thought it was great. Everything was better about it than the theatrical garbage they put out. I want to see Snyder finish this off.

And why do people still complain that these DC movies are too dark or depressing? Have you not watched the animated DC films either? It's much of the same. I don't want DC films trying to be like Marvel. They chose dark and violent, stick to it.
DC's animated films have also been less than they used to be. They're no where near as well written or as popular as they once were because of the direction they've taken thanks to them trying to mimic the direction of the films.

For 80 years DC comics have beem 90% pg-13 or even more friendly towards all ages of readers and that includes some of the greatest DC comics stories ever written. So no, every single hero being dark, violent and depressing is not the way to go.

What DC needs to realize is each hero can have a different tone because that's who they are. Not everyone needs to be written or filmed the same way, because people aren't the same and situations don't always call for it.
Josh-a-tron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 06:06 PM   #227
azurepred
Zot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh-a-tron View Post
DC's animated films have also been less than they used to be. They're no where near as well written or as popular as they once were because of the direction they've taken thanks to them trying to mimic the direction of the films.

For 80 years DC comics have beem 90% pg-13 or even more friendly towards all ages of readers and that includes some of the greatest DC comics stories ever written. So no, every single hero being dark, violent and depressing is not the way to go.

What DC needs to realize is each hero can have a different tone because that's who they are. Not everyone needs to be written or filmed the same way, because people aren't the same and situations don't always call for it.
When your dealing with characters like SW and Darkseid, how could you go any other way on the big screen? The last 2 Avengers films were pretty violent and depressing for a PG-13 film.

Also considering that this takes place right after Supes had died, that kinda already sets the "depressing" mood going into this film.

I agree with you in terms of each hero can have a separate mood. I don't think MOS, WW and Aquaman all had the same mood for those films. I would say they were more on the serious side though, which is fine imo.
azurepred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 11:40 PM   #228
Gravitron
Fantastic Four

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard View Post
It is wonderful. Don't listen the haters ...
Shillbot 5000 detected. LOL
Gravitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 09:26 AM   #229
Gerard
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravitron View Post
Shillbot 5000 detected. LOL
No bots here. My genuine feelings...
Gerard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 09:41 AM   #230
adee
Green Arrow

For me it's not so much about being funny and having jokes. I was happy to see him get rid of all that stuff. It's more about the tone he sets which started with MoS. It just lacks that certain inspirational feeling you should get when Superman does his thing. And I love Cavill as Superman. After thinking about it for some time I really think the score for these movies played a big part in me coming away with this feeling. I imagine what it would have been like if they used music that we recognize for the characters. The Donner score, a very inspirational JLA theme like the animated series. I think it would have helped me connect more.

Did anyone else prefer the previous Steppenwolf? I wasn't crazy about his original design either but I liked him looking more human than alien. He looked like Earthworm Jim in the Destroyer armor.
adee is offline   Reply With Quote