Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 12-22-2005, 11:46 PM   #1
Miikael
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

Any quality prints of Katsuhiro Otomo art around?

Late last night I was watching Akira (yes that's all I was doing!) and I was wondering if there's anything out there by mr.Otomo as giclée, may it be paper or canvas, or something entirely else aslong as it's quality print. I have about 6 posters of Akira-based work by this man and I like them very much, but when it comes to quality these things are just regular posters and not much more.

So anyone know if there's something more out there?

<_<

>_>

>_<

Anyone?

0_0

James?

o_0

I'm more than open (stop it!) about work of other Japanese, manga influenced, artists, but mainly Akira art as for now. Many of the covers of the UK/US version of the manga would make splendid giclée's tbfh. Well cheers for looking anyhow.
Miikael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 12:04 AM   #2
Big Dave
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Can't help you out about if there were ever high-quality prints for his work, I can't remember ever seeing anything recent, maybe more towards the original release. The only thing I have Akira-wise in terms of art is the original Japanese B2 poster like this one below, but I am guessing that is one of the 6 posters you have.

Big Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 04:34 PM   #3
Miikael

Actually that's one poster I don't own yet, but I've always liked that picture just never came across it. Of the 6 posters I have 2 are the same picture, but are different in size (the pink/salmon coloured). 5 of the posters are based on the manga covers, but the biggest 1 I own seems like it was released together with the DVD release about 4 years ago, it has the url www.akira2001.com imprinted on it, but the site seems to have gone defunct. Unfortunately none of the posters are in the best shape anymore, my 4 smaller (they came together in a tube) suffering from airbubbles, real shame as they were the best quality prints I had, but now they're all... bubbly.

Anyhow thanks for the help Dave.

ps. can't find a picture of the final poster, but it has Kaneda sitting on his bike aiming the rail-gun at the viewer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2001.09.27-rev_anime-us-akira-cover.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	27.0 KB
ID:	18831   Click image for larger version

Name:	F8MEN3AXK9X23XN5.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	17.9 KB
ID:	18832   Click image for larger version

Name:	F8MEN7AXK9X23XN4XK0XNX5.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	18.7 KB
ID:	18833   Click image for larger version

Name:	1569715289.01._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_AA240_SH20_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	15.8 KB
ID:	18834  
Old 12-23-2005, 04:36 PM   #4
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

Any nice Ghost in the Shell ones?
Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 10:37 PM   #5
Big Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miikael
Actually that's one poster I don't own yet, but I've always liked that picture just never came across it. Of the 6 posters I have 2 are the same picture, but are different in size (the pink/salmon coloured). 5 of the posters are based on the manga covers, but the biggest 1 I own seems like it was released together with the DVD release about 4 years ago, it has the url www.akira2001.com imprinted on it, but the site seems to have gone defunct. Unfortunately none of the posters are in the best shape anymore, my 4 smaller (they came together in a tube) suffering from airbubbles, real shame as they were the best quality prints I had, but now they're all... bubbly.

Anyhow thanks for the help Dave.

ps. can't find a picture of the final poster, but it has Kaneda sitting on his bike aiming the rail-gun at the viewer.
Those are cool, its too bad they are no longer in the best of shape. I picked up my poster on eBay, so they do come around somewaht often. Not the biggest fan of Akira (have only watched my DVD once), but I might dust it off again and give it a spin.

As far as Ghost In The Shell, again, the only thing I have is a Japanese theatrical poster. Absolutely beutiful design on it. Here is what a copy looks like:

Old 12-24-2005, 12:49 AM   #6
Miikael

You lucky sod! I've only seen 1, well 2 now, posters/images of GitS I actually liked. Plus yours (if you have exact same) has Japanese (kanji?) writing on it!

I liked Akira quite a lot, from the first to the 800th viewing, but I can easily understand why somebody would be less then impressed with it. Just to assure me please go watch it at least once more. Please =)
Old 12-24-2005, 02:01 AM   #7
Big Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miikael
You lucky sod! I've only seen 1, well 2 now, posters/images of GitS I actually liked. Plus yours (if you have exact same) has Japanese (kanji?) writing on it!

I liked Akira quite a lot, from the first to the 800th viewing, but I can easily understand why somebody would be less then impressed with it. Just to assure me please go watch it at least once more. Please =)
Yeah all the anime posters I own (I believe) are direct from Japan. Not only on anime, but also on regular movies, they have some absolute brialliant designs. I think the only other anime movie poster is from Howl's Moving Castle, never seen it, just loved the detail on the image. Here are pics of my actual posters.

Old 12-24-2005, 12:35 PM   #8
Miikael

Yeah that's from Howls Moving Castle, I thought the movie was rather disappointing, but great design nonetheless. Japs are great at drawing aren't they? =)
Old 12-25-2005, 05:07 PM   #9
Juggernaut
The Falcon

Where can I buy a GITS poster/wall scroll with that nude image?

Looks cool Big Dave.
Juggernaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2005, 06:06 PM   #10
Big Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juggernaut
Where can I buy a GITS poster/wall scroll with that nude image?

Looks cool Big Dave.
The poster I have is the actual theatrical one from Japan which might be hard to find and will cost you a $100+. A quick search on ebay (search for ghost in shell poster as the keyword), reveals you can get some reprints for cheap (they might not have the Japanese writing on it however).