Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Home Grown > Painter's Pit Stop

Old 03-06-2006, 05:11 AM   #1
JohnCleary
Sculptor
Sculptor

PAINTS - Chroma, Golden and Createx - thoughts?

Hi everyone. I am going to order some airbrush paints and I was wondering what your opinions are of Chroma, Golden and Createx are? The Chroma paints say they are pre mixed and dont need to be thinned. What about the others? I want to make sure my new airbrush remains clog free and in working order. By the way I would appreciate any tips on how to keep my airbrush in good working condition. My last one was a Badger Anthem and it wad constantly getting clogged. Eventually it just broke down on me.

Also what would be a good primer for painting resin? Can I just use a dark gray?

Thanks!
JohnCleary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 10:04 AM   #2
Danno
Paint Master
Producer

Hey John,

Primer - Duplicolor Light Grey "filler" Primer (don't let the name fool you, it sprays light and thin and does not obscure detail as long as you do not hose it on). Dries fast and sands nicely, this is the stuff.

For airbrushing, I highly recommend the Golden airbrush paints. These are great, easy to use and spray nicely. But painting....like anything....it's best to have a rather large arsenal. Different brands can have different "effects" in how they cover, how they lay...sheen, etc....

As for airbrush care, be sure to keep a bottle of 91% Isopropyl Alcohol around. Clean out the cup using windshield wiper fluid. Then fill the cup with windsheil wiper fluid and use an old brush and work the solution around in the cup to remove the paint and spray it out. Finally...take your alcohol and spray a cup full of that through (again...using an old brush to work the alcohol around to remove any paint redue in the cup). Remove the needle and wipe it clean from time to time.

http://www.picturetrail.com/dannodaman
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Danno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 02:06 AM   #3
JohnCleary
Sculptor
Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno
Hey John,

Primer - Duplicolor Light Grey "filler" Primer (don't let the name fool you, it sprays light and thin and does not obscure detail as long as you do not hose it on). Dries fast and sands nicely, this is the stuff.

For airbrushing, I highly recommend the Golden airbrush paints. These are great, easy to use and spray nicely. But painting....like anything....it's best to have a rather large arsenal. Different brands can have different "effects" in how they cover, how they lay...sheen, etc....

As for airbrush care, be sure to keep a bottle of 91% Isopropyl Alcohol around. Clean out the cup using windshield wiper fluid. Then fill the cup with windsheil wiper fluid and use an old brush and work the solution around in the cup to remove the paint and spray it out. Finally...take your alcohol and spray a cup full of that through (again...using an old brush to work the alcohol around to remove any paint redue in the cup). Remove the needle and wipe it clean from time to time.
Thanks alot for that info Dan. DO you wet sand the primer before you start painting or is it ready to be painted once primed? I've ordered a bunch of Golden paints and I look forward to getting back into airbrushing. I havent actually painted many of my own sculpts but I am going to start to.
JohnCleary is offline   Reply With Quote