Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 02-22-2020, 12:53 AM   #11
Josh-a-tron
"Revenge is a Dish Best Served Cold"
Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by joefixit2 View Post
interesting, wonder what the last straw was
I know their sales numbers have been down and remember, AT&T is now in charge. They're probably a lot more strict when it comes to numbers.
Josh-a-tron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 09:52 AM   #12
moon_knight1971
Rescue

Surprised no one is talking about AT & T potentially CLOSING down DC Comics if sales don't improve....been rumors of even SELLING their characters (Hi Disney!) lol
moon_knight1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 10:19 AM   #13
Mister H
Gen 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by moon_knight1971 View Post
Surprised no one is talking about AT & T potentially CLOSING down DC Comics if sales don't improve....been rumors of even SELLING their characters (Hi Disney!) lol
Since Marvel comics suck even worse than DC comics currently do, I would vote for Image buying the characters.
Mister H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 06:41 PM   #14
SickleClaw
Justice League

Quote:
Originally Posted by moon_knight1971 View Post
That rumor is bs, Cosmicbook news is notoriously full of rumors like that and the guy who wrote that article is a comicsgater. Also the disney bit about it is so absurd as to be laughable.
SickleClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 05:22 AM   #15
Dark-Flux
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister H View Post
Since Marvel comics suck even worse than DC comics currently do, I would vote for Image buying the characters.
Image dont own any IP.

And honestly, this news makes me nervous. DCs problems arnt the result of any one guy, even the co-publisher. And say what you want about Didio, at least the guy was a comic fan. He was massively passionate about comics. And theres no end to the number of creators that have told stories about how it was Didio who convinced them to do 'X' project or who championed the direct market like he did.

Who's gonna replace him? Some AT&T exec? I bet they'll care massively about bringing back the JSA and helping the struggling comic store retailer, lol.
Dark-Flux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 05:31 AM   #16
Dark-Flux

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickleClaw View Post
That rumor is bs, Cosmicbook news is notoriously full of rumors like that and the guy who wrote that article is a comicsgater. Also the disney bit about it is so absurd as to be laughable.
And yeah, this.

DC Comics are a drop in the ocean for AT&T, and for next to nothing they get almost endless IP generation for media development.
Old 02-26-2020, 10:26 AM   #17
Mister H
Gen 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark-Flux View Post
Image dont own any IP.

And honestly, this news makes me nervous. DCs problems arnt the result of any one guy, even the co-publisher. And say what you want about Didio, at least the guy was a comic fan. He was massively passionate about comics. And theres no end to the number of creators that have told stories about how it was Didio who convinced them to do 'X' project or who championed the direct market like he did.

Who's gonna replace him? Some AT&T exec? I bet they'll care massively about bringing back the JSA and helping the struggling comic store retailer, lol.
You have a good point about his replacement, whoever that will be. Things don't look very bright for DC. The fact of the matter is, DC Comics started tanking under his watch. If you are the head honcho when things go south, you're SOL. IMO he should have been gone a long time ago. Whether he tried to bring back the JSA or not, he did some weird stuff to other characters. From what I've read, him and Scott Snyder butted heads a few times and while Snyder is not what he used to be, I for one would side with him over Didio.
Mister H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 12:18 PM   #18
Dark-Flux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister H View Post
You have a good point about his replacement, whoever that will be. Things don't look very bright for DC. The fact of the matter is, DC Comics started tanking under his watch. If you are the head honcho when things go south, you're SOL. IMO he should have been gone a long time ago. Whether he tried to bring back the JSA or not, he did some weird stuff to other characters. From what I've read, him and Scott Snyder butted heads a few times and while Snyder is not what he used to be, I for one would side with him over Didio.
Ehhhh, things really arnt that bad for them right now. Sales havnt tanked, the market is just shifting. I'd wager they just havnt seen the growth in monthlies they wanted in the aftermath of the New 52 and Rebirth. Their YA OGN line has been a big hit. As has Black Label. I'd imagine AT&T are looking at the market shifting to bookstores and are reconsidering the Direct Market model.
Given that Didio was the DM-guy and Lee put his weight behind digital and bookstores, theymay have just wanted to trim what they saw as the fat.
They may just keep Lee as sole-publisher.

But i'd be worried if I were Bob Harris...

Time will tell, i guess.
Old 02-27-2020, 06:41 PM   #19
SickleClaw
Justice League

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark-Flux View Post
Ehhhh, things really arnt that bad for them right now. Sales havnt tanked, the market is just shifting. I'd wager they just havnt seen the growth in monthlies they wanted in the aftermath of the New 52 and Rebirth. Their YA OGN line has been a big hit. As has Black Label. I'd imagine AT&T are looking at the market shifting to bookstores and are reconsidering the Direct Market model.
Given that Didio was the DM-guy and Lee put his weight behind digital and bookstores, theymay have just wanted to trim what they saw as the fat.
They may just keep Lee as sole-publisher.

But i'd be worried if I were Bob Harris...

Time will tell, i guess.
I would agree, Ive bought a few of their YA OGN that they've come out with recently. The one they did for Cassandra Cain (Shadow of the Batgirl) was an excellent introduciton to the character for younger readers. If these YA OGN can get younger readers invested in comics, wanting to follow up on their stories, I'd call that a win.
SickleClaw is offline   Reply With Quote