Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Home Grown > Sculptor's Pit Stop

Old 04-26-2011, 05:52 PM   #11
ctuckr68
U talkin' to me?

Start with whatever you would really like to sculpt IMO. It will be more intersting for you that way. Figures will be complicated no matter, so might as well start now if that's what you're interested in doing. A museum pose will be more simple in the beginning instead of action poses though. I started with Batman. It was a bit ambitious from the pose, costume and such, but I learned a whole bunch because of it. I would say your references and tools are more important than what you're sculpting though. Pay close attention to your scale. Don't "eyeball" anything you can measure(roughly even) or things won't look right...legs too short, head too small, arms too short, etc, etc...Find you a good 3D model to use for reference. That helped me the a lot. Mostly any statue will do; one that shows a lot of anatomy. It will help a lot having a visual to touch and look at in angles vs. just 2d picture references. That's the best advise I can give from what I learned starting out. Also, everyone has their likes and dislikes with clays, waxes, apoxy, etc. for sculpting. Although they all have their advantages, I would highly recommend the sculpey firm starting out. It is the most forgiving and allows a hands on approach to sculpting IMO. The good news in all of this is you can experiment with the sculpting relatively cheaply. Get you a box of sculpey and a generic multi-pack of scultpting tools and start working. You can pick up both at the hobby store for about 30 bucks. That's how I got started. There's no need to go out and buy a whole bunch of expensive tools, equipment, models and such to get started.
ctuckr68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 06:53 AM   #12
starmanmm
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

Quote:
...clays, waxes, apoxy, etc.
I didn't even think about the mediums yet!

Thanks for that advice!

I really do thank all of you for the advice and information. Gives me a lot to think about.
starmanmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 11:49 AM   #13
Vince-Vell
Cosmic Painter
PainterModerator

Just get some Super Sculpty and mess with it, then when you are happy with it bake it and keep it on hand and never get rid of it.

Then if you keep messing around sculptig for a few years you can go back to that first thing you sculpted to see how much you learned and improved.
Vince-Vell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 07:40 PM   #14
starmanmm
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

Bench marks are a good indicator of how far one has gone.
starmanmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 12:26 PM   #15
JM28Cardiff
I went to a general store. They wouldn't let me buy anything specifically.

I had a go a few years ago, it was fun way to while away a few hours. I didnt keep it up though. As well as talent/skill, what you also need is patience, which I dont have!
JM28Cardiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 07:10 PM   #16
Drakul
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Apologies for bumping this old thread but it seems like a good throw-all for noobs.

I'm also thinking about starting sculpting. It's kind of in my genes so I feel I should try it. My ancestors were famous sculptors and painters, my grandfather was a very decent amateur painter, my mom can draw nicely...
I can't draw for crap but I've always been good with my hands so why not!

Following the good advice on here I'm going to go to Michael's and grand some super sculpey firm and see what's what.
I was thinking for a starting project, not too hard but still fun, I could do a Tintin from the 'Objectif Lune'. I could do the shuttle first and then work on him in his astronaut suit.
Drakul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 08:41 PM   #17
Spazzy
Hercules

I would recommend ordering online from amazon for sculpey, the sculpey I get from michaels is usually very hard and takes a VERY long time conditioning it, the stuff I buy online from a reputable place is nice and soft
Spazzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 07:00 AM   #18
kenkaj
U talkin' to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince-Vell View Post

Just to add a little to this thread, i would suggest getting a block of Chavant Medium NSP , and start off with a portrait of your favourite person or character.
If you can get a reasonable job done on this your'e on your way! Most sculpts live or die on the portrait as this is the first thing you look at.
You can add or subtract clay for as long as you want to work on the sculpt and the good thing is it's reusable.
I always have a bust on the go out of Chavant and i use it basically as a sketch pad.
Most of all as Vince-Vell say's DO IT!
kenkaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 11:47 AM   #19
Drakul
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazzy View Post
I would recommend ordering online from amazon for sculpey, the sculpey I get from michaels is usually very hard and takes a VERY long time conditioning it, the stuff I buy online from a reputable place is nice and soft
But it's the same Sulpey Firm correct? Why is there a difference between the one you buy at Michael's and the one on Amazon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenkaj View Post
Just to add a little to this thread, i would suggest getting a block of Chavant Medium NSP , and start off with a portrait of your favourite person or character.
If you can get a reasonable job done on this your'e on your way! Most sculpts live or die on the portrait as this is the first thing you look at.
You can add or subtract clay for as long as you want to work on the sculpt and the good thing is it's reusable.

I always have a bust on the go out of Chavant and i use it basically as a sketch pad.
Most of all as Vince-Vell say's DO IT!
That's great suggestion. Now to think of a good character I want that hasn't been done....
Drakul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 11:55 AM   #20
hotrodhoodrat
What is a free gift? Aren't all gifts free?

I thinks, the same but I'm willing to give it a try some day, just not sure when
hotrodhoodrat is offline   Reply With Quote