Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Home Grown > Sculptor's Pit Stop

Old 03-09-2012, 12:10 PM   #21
Kdawg59
Sculptor of Gods
ProducerSculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenkaj View Post
Just to add a little to this thread, i would suggest getting a block of Chavant Medium NSP , and start off with a portrait of your favourite person or character.
If you can get a reasonable job done on this your'e on your way! Most sculpts live or die on the portrait as this is the first thing you look at.
You can add or subtract clay for as long as you want to work on the sculpt and the good thing is it's reusable.
I always have a bust on the go out of Chavant and i use it basically as a sketch pad.
Most of all as Vince-Vell say's DO IT!
That is actually a very good idea...
Old 03-09-2012, 03:00 PM   #22
Spazzy
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drakul View Post
But it's the same Sulpey Firm correct? Why is there a difference between the one you buy at Michael's and the one on Amazon?

That's great suggestion. Now to think of a good character I want that hasn't been done....
the ones I have bought at michaels at different times...and hobby lobby have been very dried out, the ones from amazon (which are from art stores that probably go through alot more) are much fresher and softer how it is supposed to be, not dried out and crumbly, but maybe you might get lucky and find some that is fresh...but it is also more expensive too at michaels.
Spazzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 09:07 PM   #23
Drakul
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazzy View Post
the ones I have bought at michaels at different times...and hobby lobby have been very dried out, the ones from amazon (which are from art stores that probably go through alot more) are much fresher and softer how it is supposed to be, not dried out and crumbly, but maybe you might get lucky and find some that is fresh...but it is also more expensive too at michaels.
gotcha. Thanks for the tip.
Drakul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 08:04 AM   #24
majestic1
Green Lantern Corps
Adamantium Member

Great thread.

Im a complete newb when it comes to sculpting but im gonna get some super sculpy and some tools and have a crack at it.

I have a question about armature, if i were to have a go at a 1/6-1/7 scale museum pose sculpt would i need to use some wire armature to support the clay ?

Same applies for a head sculpt/portrait, would i just need to stick a ball of clay on the end of some wire and get started ?

Thanks in advance.
majestic1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 10:13 AM   #25
kenkaj
U talkin' to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by majestic1 View Post
Great thread.

Im a complete newb when it comes to sculpting but im gonna get some super sculpy and some tools and have a crack at it.

I have a question about armature, if i were to have a go at a 1/6-1/7 scale museum pose sculpt would i need to use some wire armature to support the clay ?

Same applies for a head sculpt/portrait, would i just need to stick a ball of clay on the end of some wire and get started ?

Thanks in advance.
This is an anatomy figure that you can bend your wire to. Just make the figure as big or small as you are going to sculpt.
For 1/6 1/7 scale i would use 1/8 aluminium armature wire, and bend to the skeletal shape and fix to a board.There are loads of armature tutorials about if you do a search. Martin Canale has a great one.
kenkaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 11:29 AM   #26
majestic1
Green Lantern Corps
Adamantium Member

Thanks for the info, much appreciated.
majestic1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 01:51 AM   #27
derekrodneysim
Giganta

Location: In a country where inequality, oppression, corruption & racism reigns supreme
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse321 View Post
I would say that 95% of the sculptors that I've talked too have all been self taught ... and/or been given lessons by or encouragement from other sculptors.

In so far as art background goes, being able to draw does make certain things easier, because it gives you a sense of scale and anatomy. Sculpting (to me) is basically drawing in 3D, with whatever medium you choose to work in. That being said, no one is born with an inherit ability to draw or sculpt, true some learn it faster than others, but everyone has to learn. The one thing you have to be is observant, keen powers of observation will serve you more than any class. While you may not always know how to correct something, knowing when something looks wrong is more than half the battle.

There are some artists and sculptors that will use the excuse "well that's my style" ... and while stylized drawing or painting is fine ... stylized sculpting is a little more difficult to pull off, especially when you're not paying attention to proper proportion, and you use a you use "style" as an excuse.

My advice ... learn to do it right FIRST, then experiment with different styles to see what emerges.

You can learn to do anything you set your mind to ... don't make the mistake of letting anyone tell you otherwise.

If you want a REALLY great resource book ... get Tim Bruckner's book "Pop Sculpture", it's got a lot of great technique information regardless of the subject matter you choose to sculpt.

http://www.amazon.com/Pop-Sculpture-.../dp/0823095223

Now grab some clay, sculpty or wax and make something!

Great advice, Jesse! Thanks for the link to the book too.

I have always wanted to try sculpting but just never had the right materials available and the technical knowhow. And I'm always my worst critic.
derekrodneysim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 06:31 AM   #28
Darkeye
Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity.

Location: i live in a small village near Aylesbury in Buclinghamshire, UK
my tip would be chavant hard for clay and a substitute for sculpey- no cracking or baking issues to worry about and you need only use a bit wire for the limbs- arms, hand and legs. this takes away some of the bothersome probs of armatures.
wax is cheap and a brilliant medium, probably my favorite. no wire required if you dont want to. but like chavant, you can just add some for strength in the limbs- a few breakages will tell you this!! lol.
sculpey can be used wire free. i have seen a beautil sculpt done with no support in the limbs. the way its done is to make a very large roll of sculpey and bake it senseless then when cooled you can carve a leg say by hand or dremel. you can also warm it again and its easier to carve. feels like a rubber susbstance. you can add pegs by clever design and carving so everything slots or glues together. same is true of epoxies. for me though, i like wax and chavant as they produce no dust and clean up real easy with just some turps or white spirit.
just have a go i say. oh! and you dont need as mant tools as you think!! i bought waaay too many and use like 3 to 5 plus fingers. a wax pen is a good buy and darned useful as is an alcohol torch.
i am not a real talent and have clawed all i have gained from repitition and drawing marvel style proprtion charts. its also good to break figures down in to studies like legs, heads hands, ect.

hope this hepls and saves a noob some cash. lord knows i spent some un-necessary!

atb --tim
Darkeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 01:20 PM   #29
kenkaj
U talkin' to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkeye View Post
just have a go i say. oh! and you dont need as mant tools as you think!! i bought waaay too many and use like 3 to 5 plus fingers. a wax pen is a good buy and darned useful as is an alcohol torch.

hope this hepls and saves a noob some cash. lord knows i spent some un-necessary!

atb --tim
Tim is spot on with his advice.
I think we have all been down the " got to have the latest tool used by such and such" but i think most who sculpt end up using probably 4 or 5 tools on every piece they use.
kenkaj is offline   Reply With Quote