Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Home Grown > Sculptor's Pit Stop

View Poll Results: Which sculpting product do you prefer?
Chavant 12 28.57%
Sculpey (Super) 21 50.00%
Milliput 3 7.14%
Other 14 33.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-27-2014, 03:12 PM   #31
noysan3001
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

Quote:
Originally Posted by srallives View Post
Hi guys. I have what might be a stupid question, but I havent been able to find a real anwer on the net. I am new to sculpting and really enjoying it. Currently using air dry clay, but struggling sometimes with small details and the fact that you have to keep it moist until you are ready for it to dry. I have played around with some polymer clays like super sculpey firm and cernit, but they are quite expensive so if I wanted to do something large scale it would cost me a lot.

I have seen that some of you use monster clay and Chavant. These are called was clays right? Do you bake them or something to cure (although I read somewhere that you can melt them and pour it into molds, which I guess rules out baking)? Or are they simply intended to make molds of?

The reason I ask is that I am looking for something that holds detail and can be painted afterwards as I am only interested in making one offs and casting molds of or anything like that.

Any help or advice would be most appreciated.
monster clay doesn't cure. It's reusable. It's not a finish product. It's intended to make mold. You need to mold your piece it if you want to paint it and have it displayed. The beauty of this product as I said it's reusable, you can use it over and over once your done with your piece. Just melt the clay again and you're ready to use it. Price is quite reasonable too.

If your doing just one of a kind, it's better to use super sculpey. The trick of saving on using this clay is to bulk up your armature with aluminum foil. A 2lb blocks will goes a long way if you bulk up.
Air dry clay are difficult to work with specially for small and fine details. Plus once dry, its easy to crumble and not very tough to handle for those small parts.
noysan3001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 05:34 AM   #32
srallives
Artist
Artist

Thanks man. That really helps. Still playing around at the moment, but I will have to try the super sculpey soon.
srallives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 02:03 PM   #33
barneyjoseph
Mephisto

If the project is large why not consider terracotta? What is the scale or size?
barneyjoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 06:02 AM   #34
srallives
Artist
Artist

Thanks for the replies guys. No specific project at the moment, But I am interested in the non curing clays that you guys use. Is casting a difficuly process and are there many limitations to the type of sculpt that one can cast?
srallives is offline   Reply With Quote