Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics > The Mighty Reviews

Old 04-28-2005, 10:21 AM   #1
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Comic Book Reviews 4/27/05 Part II

Sam's reviews are continued from Part I of this week's reviews, found at http://www.statueforum.com/showthrea...170#post175170

Sam Wilson's Reviews (Continued)

City of Tomorrow! Issue #1
Written By: Howard Chaykin
Drawn By: Howard Chaykin

Yeah, you all know I’m a Chaykin fan. If you haven’t read his “Challengers of the Unknown” or “Mighty Love”, go check them out. His American Flagg stuff is going to be re-released soon by Dynamic Forces in a Hardcover and TPB, so get that too. Okay, so “City of Tomorrow”, did I like it as well? The answer is “yes”.

“City of Tomorrow” opens with a dirty bomb going off in a mall. Not the most pleasant of scenarios. We then cut to skip ahead to a commercial from entrapaneur Eli Foyle, and his greeting card family. Eli has built a new country. Yup, a country, a new modern utopia based on nanotechnology. Fast-forward some more and we find out Eli’s son, Tucker, didn’t really care for Utopia and left to become some kind of government hit man.

Since this is just the first issue, and there is no “history” to this book, I don’t really have much to say. If you were a fan of “Challengers of the Unknown” or “American Flagg”, you should check this book out. It’s classic Chaykin, and there is nothing really wrong with that.

Last edited by wktf; 04-28-2005 at 10:23 AM.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 07:25 PM   #2
Sam Wilson
Samurai Vato

Any Chaykin fans out there?
Sam Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 07:57 PM   #3
bat_collector
Galactus

What else has he done?
bat_collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 08:00 PM   #4
madjazz
Defender of The Defenders

Loved American Flagg!. One of my all time favorites.

Hated American Century. It made more sense why he liked doing it after I actually met him at Wondercon this year.
madjazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 08:06 PM   #5
Sam Wilson
Samurai Vato

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat_collector
What else has he done?
He is most famous for his independant book American Flagg, back in the '80's. He also worken on DC's Shadow, and switched over to TV writing for awhile. He did my favorite Marvel GN from the 80's, Nick Fury, Wolverine the Scorpio Connection (track it down on ebay if you can). He recently came back to Comics with DC's American Centry, Bite Club, Challengers of the Unknown and the Mighty Love HC. Here is a recent interview:

http://www.newsarama.com/pages/JimLe...Leearama_3.htm
Old 04-28-2005, 08:10 PM   #6
Sam Wilson
Samurai Vato

Quote:
Originally Posted by madjazz
Loved American Flagg!. One of my all time favorites.

Hated American Century. It made more sense why he liked doing it after I actually met him at Wondercon this year.
American Century was hit or miss. I can easily see why someone wouldn't like it. Why did he say he liked doing it? Was he pretty cool? Are you gettin the new American Flagg collection?
Old 04-28-2005, 11:00 PM   #7
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

The recent DC Solo comic issue is a Chaykin issue. My LCS guy says he's a friend of Chaykin's. Could be true as he's friends with Corbin, Bruce Jones and was also friends with Gil Kane (got me some cool sketches), among others.
Old 04-29-2005, 08:27 AM   #8
madjazz
Defender of The Defenders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Wilson
American Century was hit or miss. I can easily see why someone wouldn't like it. Why did he say he liked doing it? Was he pretty cool? Are you gettin the new American Flagg collection?
When I ran into him, inker Al Gordon was playing old 40's/50's crooner songs on his guitar and Chaykin was singing to them. (It was the end of the day) He seemed very happy and pleased with himself. I have to say it was fun to see this side of him.

Anyway, I think he has an affinity for the time period so I can see him having fun putting American Century out as a book. I just didn't find the book very relevant to me, and I'm 40. I can imagine how a 20 year old would have reacted to the book. Even as it was, I stuck around until issue 17 as I like Chaykin. I kept hoping something would happen and nothing ever did.
madjazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 03:00 PM   #9
Babytoxie
Ghost

And don't forget Chaykin's Black Kiss. Oh wait, I'm sorry... PLEASE forget it.

Actually, I like his stuff in general. My favorite work of his is The Shadow: Blood and Judgment. He's also known for great adaptations of works by Robert E. Howard, Alfred Bester, and Samuel Delany.

Hey wktf, does Richard Corben still live in KC? And if so, does he frequent the comic shops? I'd love to meet the guy - big fan here!
Babytoxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 03:57 PM   #10
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

He does, and not so much on the comic shops, other than the one I go to. Never met him, myself, but my LCS guy has offered an introduction a few times.