Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > DC

Old 09-29-2010, 07:32 PM   #1
06gto
Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity.

Ebay Dry Period

I know there are 2 dry periods on ebay, but I forget when they occur and why. Are we about to enter one of them ? I have noticed listing totals diminishing rapidly.
06gto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 05:53 AM   #2
califf
Frackin!

I don't know why do you think so. There are only two good online shopping site 1.e Amazon and ebay where i mostly like to visit to purchase all my latest favorite things.
califf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 07:37 AM   #3
actionjackson83
Midnighter

People want to buy on ebay to rip sellers off as much as possible so sellers who need money in this ailing economy are giving them the middle finger because they're sick of people tryin to rip them off so so now they won't bother listing anything because doing so only makes them lose $50 or more on anything they try to sell.
actionjackson83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 07:51 AM   #4
risingstar
Jedi Order

Sellers aren't making as much money as they used to on the bay so perhaps they're rethinking their buying/selling strategies. I'm thinking more sellers buy just enough to fill orders. Most collectors by now realize that if they wait a bit, there's a good chance at buying what they want at a greater discount.

For example, I waited and got my Sideshow Surfer EX for $250 shipped.
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 07:53 AM   #5
risingstar
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by actionjackson83 View Post
People want to buy on ebay to rip sellers off as much as possible so sellers who need money in this ailing economy are giving them the middle finger because they're sick of people tryin to rip them off so so now they won't bother listing anything because doing so only makes them lose $50 or more on anything they try to sell.

How are buyers ripping sellers off?
Old 09-30-2010, 07:59 AM   #6
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by actionjackson83 View Post
Yeah, right.

I read somewhere there are two periods where sales on ebay are down. The theory is one was between Sept / Oct as people are holding off on purchases before the Christmas buying period of Nov/early Dec and the other is February/March after the holiday period as many have spent their funds for the holidays and aren't buying/selling as much. January was still active as many get money as Christmas gifts and buy stuff during January.
Old 09-30-2010, 08:13 AM   #7
risingstar
Jedi Order

What I have actually noticed is a decrease in the number of auctions where buyers slug it out at the end to win. Unless an item is really hot or new, if a seller starts his/her auctions at a low price, there is a possibility that his/her auction may end at a low price too. Goodness knows, we've seen a number of Bowen busts, for example, sell for under $5. We've also seen the Abomination statue sell in the $60 range a few times too. In fact, every production company has at one point fallen victim to the "start low - end low" prices.

Sellers need to adapt the present market reality that there may be less buyers out there than there used to be. Thing is, that doesn't have to mean that sellers have no choice but to accept peanuts for their product. There are ways to single themselves out and make some decent cash: 1) Set items at a reasonable starting or BIN price, 2) If your older piece is brand new and undisplayed, say so in the auction title, 3) Post actual pics of the product as opposed to using stock pics, 4) If possible, sell busts in bundles or by team/character themes, and 5) Be very patient. Some pieces could a couple months to sell.

I have literally made thousands of dollars over the past couple of years unloading my Bowen product. Did it happen quickly? Not at all. However, much of the product did eventually sell at prices I was comfortable with. My genuine concern is that interest in Bowen product, especially the older releases, has been steadiliy decreasing so I do feel a slight sense of urgency to move things sooner rather than later. There is no one reason for that market concern though... Truth is, very little in the collectibles world maintains its secondary market values over time.

In my mind, as the number of sellers desperate to make quick cash diminishes, the greater the likelihood that pieces set at reasonble prices should eventually sell. Believe it or not, there will always be someone out there who wants a Doc Samson bust.
Old 09-30-2010, 09:15 AM   #8
dechirico7
The Flash

Ebay is very dry right now. I've been putting stuff up super cheap and no one has been grabbing it, so I kind of gave up.
dechirico7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 10:26 AM   #9
06gto
Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity.

I believe the tax/inventory total has an effect also, I don't remember if it is before tax time or after.
06gto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 10:27 AM   #10
mkhsfz
Doh!

I don't think buyers rip sellers off, things are only worth what someone is willing to pay period.
mkhsfz is offline   Reply With Quote