Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Sports

Old 12-21-2009, 06:48 AM   #871
rhy
I was trying to daydream, but my mind kept wandering.

Montana vs Bradshaw

TNovak, I was born and raised in San Francisco, so I take my 9ers football very seriously. I get what you're saying but come on man...
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNovak View Post
Montana played against inferior teams in every Superbowl he played (was a significant favorite in each)
Do you honestly believe that?
The 81 Bengals went 12-4, ranked third in points scored & second in total yards, also they had five pro bowlers. Statistically speaking they were one up on the 9ers.

Next the 84 Fins...are you kidding me? Wasn't that Marino's best year? 5000+ yards & 49 TD's? Also didn't Clayton & Duper pulled down 1300 yards each? Plus they were loaded w/ talent on both sides of the ball. The Dolphins were many things that year but coming into SB 19 I doubt anyone labeled them "inferior"

Up next the 88 Bengals another hi powered offensive unit. Solid O-line Boomer hitting Brown down field, Brooks w/ a solid run game & of course Icky shufflin' his way into the end zone. Didn't they rank first in points scored & total yards that season? Clearly the inferior team.

Finally, the 89 Broncos. Inferior isn't a word I would use to describe their D. They were ranked 6th overall against the rush, 3rd against the passing game and first overall in fewest points allowed (14).

Quote:
Bradshaw faced a hall of famer on the other side in 3 of his 4 superbowls (Tarkenton and Staubach twice).
Boomer may not be Canton bound but he was the man back in 88. Also Joe, took down Marino & Elway in their prime.
Quote:
Whipping Elways Broncos 55-10 is another matter but the SF defense was also outstanding.
Regardless of well the D played, coming into SB24 the Broncos had the better D and Montana just had his way w/ them.
Quote:
Joe's career statistics are pedestrian to say the least. He only threw for 30 TD's or more once in his entire career. He threw 20 TD's or less in 10 of his 16 years. He was as fragile as a little girl, often injured. To be fair, Bradshaws TD totals were low compared to modern times too BUT very high when compared to other quarterbacks of his era and under the rules they played, which were different than those in the 80's..
lol, come on, you know they played in two totally different systems which explains Joe's numbers. Your comparisons are far from fair. Oh yeah, one other thing Bradshaw had the luxury of playing w/ the Steel Curtain so he never technically went up against the best defensive unit of the 70's.
While Montana went up against the best year after year.

Quote:
He benefited from Walshe's innovative "West Coast Offense" that was new and difficult to defend. His passes were typically short and high percentage. One year his leading reciever in terms of receptions was Tom Rathman.
Is it wrong to have a FB, who can not only pound it out, pick up the blitz and have soft hands? Walsh's system was ahead of it's time, nothing wrong w/ that.

Quote:
Joe was also blessed with all pros and hall of famers up and down both sides of the ball. Outstanding support players on offense and great defenses.
If we focus on the offensive side of the ball, Joe's supporting cast wasn't all that great. When Rice came on the scene he was actually pretty clumsy, lol. Also Craig didn't exactly tear the league up. The 9ers of the 80's consist of Walsh's west coast offense and how well Montana could execute it.
rhy is offline   Reply With Quote