Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 10-11-2019, 02:01 PM   #61
ParisDean
Kiss my shiny metal arse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukshaun View Post
really?

The Blair Witch Project did zero for me.
I watched it, it was ok. It felt like one long stint in the woods followed by a quick rush of action in some building..
I'm still not quite sure what was in the building?
Reading your summary of the movie, you clearly weren't engaged at all while watching it. Asking what was in the building is a little like watching Jaws and asking what was in the water.

As others have said, the films that are more realistic leave a more lasting impression and that was the case with this movie for me. It felt like I was walking around my parents' property in upstate NY (one of ten cell phone dead zones in the U.S. https://matadornetwork.com/trips/10-...-worth-a-trip/). That final scene gets me every time.
ParisDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 02:23 PM   #62
ukshaun
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisDean View Post
Reading your summary of the movie, you clearly weren't engaged at all while watching it. Asking what was in the building is a little like watching Jaws and asking what was in the water.

As others have said, the films that are more realistic leave a more lasting impression and that was the case with this movie for me. It felt like I was walking around my parents' property in upstate NY (one of ten cell phone dead zones in the U.S. https://matadornetwork.com/trips/10-...-worth-a-trip/). That final scene gets me every time.
I guess you hit the nail on the head - the movie failed to engage me.
I passed on watching Blair Witch when the hype machine was in full swing. I watched Blair Witch 5+ years down the line. That shouldn't matter, if it was any good. It wasn't all bad, at the same time, it failed to hold my attention like a good film should. It's not a budget thing either, as i like both high and low budget movies.
ukshaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 02:26 PM   #63
adee
Green Arrow

The scariest movie I ever saw wasn't even a horror movie.

The Elephant Man gave me sleepless nights as a kid. I still have trouble with it to this day.
adee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 02:53 PM   #64
ParisDean

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukshaun View Post
I guess you hit the nail on the head - the movie failed to engage me.
I passed on watching Blair Witch when the hype machine was in full swing. I watched Blair Witch 5+ years down the line. That shouldn't matter, if it was any good. It wasn't all bad, at the same time, it failed to hold my attention like a good film should. It's not a budget thing either, as i like both high and low budget movies.
It was indeed a good film. The general consensus of movie reviews confirms that. It's just one you didn't like.
Old 10-11-2019, 03:33 PM   #65
mmk123
3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

I think the thing with the Blair Witch Project was that it was so positively reviewed and it was, at the time it came out, was the hot movie to see and people constantly claiming it was the scariest movie they ever saw. I think that if you do not see a movie like that at the time expectations are going to be higher for some people. (Others people maybe not so much)

I saw the movie well over a year or two after it came out and I do see where people had the reaction that they thought the movie was incredible scary but it did not with me.
mmk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 03:39 PM   #66
ParisDean

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmk123 View Post
I think the thing with the Blair Witch Project was that it was so positively reviewed and it was, at the time it came out, was the hot movie to see and people constantly claiming it was the scariest movie they ever saw. I think that if you do not see a movie like that at the time expectations are going to be higher for some people. (Others people maybe not so much)

I saw the movie well over a year or two after it came out and I do see where people had the reaction that they thought the movie was incredible scary but it did not with me.
This is how I feel about The Exorcist. I saw it for the first time at a screening some 30 years later and thought it was a very good film, but knowing its legacy, was expecting it to be scarier.
Old 10-11-2019, 04:20 PM   #67
nearmint
Phoenix

Quote:

It was the first “found video” film, wasn’t it? It was something fresh and new in a medium in which fresh and new doesn’t happen very often.
nearmint is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 04:45 PM   #68
mmk123
3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

Nearmint, I do believe you are correct about it being the first "found Video" film. There have been others but I never really enjoyed the "found video" film. I think that is why I did not like the 6th season of American Horror Story that much because that is how it was done.
mmk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 05:32 PM   #69
Vracula
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisDean View Post
This is how I feel about The Exorcist. I saw it for the first time at a screening some 30 years later and thought it was a very good film, but knowing its legacy, was expecting it to be scarier.
I found the book more terrifying than the movie.
Vracula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 05:48 PM   #70
Shoo
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearmint View Post
It was the first “found video” film, wasn’t it?
Quote:
Nearmint, I do believe you are correct about it being the first "found Video" film.
I'd say Cannibal Holocaust (1980) was the first one.
Shoo is offline   Reply With Quote