Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 08-02-2015, 12:59 AM   #31
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

55 and frustrated as hell. Don't recognize the vast majority of what used to be the books I read. Waid's DD and Aaron's Thor were saving graces but I'm all about the omnibuses, HCs and trades now. I do still buy individual issues but never much more than 1 - 2 a week at the most. My favorites like the FF and Avengers have become distant memories. I do feel part of what makes me the person I've always been has just abandoned me.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 03:18 AM   #32
joy_division
My baby calls me the Loch Ness Monster, two great big humps and then I'm gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbr3bagshotrow View Post
I think comics are changing. Digital is the wave of the future. Many old timers just won't do it, some will get dragged into it kicking and screaming, and the open minded will accept it. The younger generation will be more accepting. Once many aren't going to be printed, the cost will probably come down. It will be interesting over the next decade.

I would like to see some company take a bold move and do a digital only, subscription based monthly comic.
well, DC are doing quite a number of Digital comics, only to be released later in comics and then Tpbs:

Smallville
Gotham Academy(currently reading)
L'il Gotham(why did it end?!)
Batman '66
Injustice: Gods Among Us
Flash Season Zero
joy_division is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 03:30 AM   #33
joy_division
My baby calls me the Loch Ness Monster, two great big humps and then I'm gone

I got my monthly haul in last friday, & the only single issue I got was Archie & Sharknado

The rest was Previews/Marvel Previews, oversized HC of Terry Dodson's Red One & the Collected edition of Vertigo's Anthology CMYK. Apart from my Mignola Batman Statue, the rest were Pop Vinyls or Garbage Pail Kids Vinyls

And There are no single issues of DC or Marvel that I will be getting this Month. I am tempted however by the Gallery Edition of LoEG
joy_division is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 03:07 PM   #34
Jack8022
Daredevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf View Post
My favorites like the FF and Avengers have become distant memories. I do feel part of what makes me the person I've always been has just abandoned me.
OMG! You've just summed up exactly how I feel! Since the last relaunch of the FF, I found it to be empty and going through the motions and the Avengers, well I've -----ed about it enough in the past. I like the core Secret Wars book but nothing else they're putting out, and I mean NOTHING, looks even interesting. Everything they've mentioned post-SW rings hollow.

I've dropped everything from DC since Convergence and most of my Marvel books ended with Secret Wars. The only thing I've been getting over the last few months has been the core Secret Wars book and a couple of the Star Wars books.

Between Bowen Designs being dead in the water and Marvel ending everything I read, I feel like the hobby has dried up for me!
Jack8022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 05:29 PM   #35
VaultMan
Advanced Tweet Mechanic
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf View Post
55 and frustrated as hell. Don't recognize the vast majority of what used to be the books I read. Waid's DD and Aaron's Thor were saving graces but I'm all about the omnibuses, HCs and trades now. I do still buy individual issues but never much more than 1 - 2 a week at the most. My favorites like the FF and Avengers have become distant memories. I do feel part of what makes me the person I've always been has just abandoned me.
I hear you Joe. Black Panther on a space team, Ben on the Guardians, no FF...its just a little far from home for me
VaultMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 08:17 PM   #36
Matches Malone
Bub Mod

Great insight gents. To chime in on the sentiments regarding an embracement of digital by a younger generation; I may comparatively fall into that based on your posts. TBH I won't do it. I like the medium just fine and the functionality is superb. What I don't like is the cost. $3-5 per book is adds up extremely quickly - and you don't own anything at the end of it. Once the licenses expire or apps change they 'can' just disappear on you and it is a bloody headache to reacquire your property. First hand experience speaking. Added to that the fact that you do not get any kind of cost break on the a product that is cheaper for the publisher to deliver it feels like a fleecing.

In May 2016 my run on Detective will be 30 years long, having gone back to the Denny O'Neil era in which formalized IMHO via Batman year one, and that will also be when I quit cold turkey.

Like Risingstar mentioned the library is a great way to sample a ton with no commitment save the time. Working my way through the absolute stack of books that accumulated in my nightstand, I find myself often irritated at the absolute garbage that I bought simply supporting 'the monthly'.
Matches Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 10:04 PM   #37
JadeGiant
Angry Green Rage Monster Mod. SMASH!
Super Moderator

The times are definitely changing. I made the major cull on my 7-8 years ago, about the same time I started diverting my hobby funds into statues and art. My son is growing up to be a major comic fan and he doesn’t have much interest at all in comics. I used to buy them for him but quit because they would just inevitably end up tossed on the top of his comic pile without being read. He doesn’t read anything but he watches EVERYTHING and usually multiple times if on Netflix.

CAF
JadeGiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 10:47 PM   #38
Sharkey
If you saw a heat wave, would you wave back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matches Malone View Post
Great insight gents. To chime in on the sentiments regarding an embracement of digital by a younger generation; I may comparatively fall into that based on your posts. TBH I won't do it. I like the medium just fine and the functionality is superb. What I don't like is the cost. $3-5 per book is adds up extremely quickly - and you don't own anything at the end of it. Once the licenses expire or apps change they 'can' just disappear on you and it is a bloody headache to reacquire your property. First hand experience speaking. Added to that the fact that you do not get any kind of cost break on the a product that is cheaper for the publisher to deliver it feels like a fleecing.

In May 2016 my run on Detective will be 30 years long, having gone back to the Denny O'Neil era in which formalized IMHO via Batman year one, and that will also be when I quit cold turkey.

Like Risingstar mentioned the library is a great way to sample a ton with no commitment save the time. Working my way through the absolute stack of books that accumulated in my nightstand, I find myself often irritated at the absolute garbage that I bought simply supporting 'the monthly'.
Yea, that is why I only get digital from comixology.com when they have a sale on something I want to read, but haven't bothered with in physical.
Sharkey is offline   Reply With Quote