Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > General Discussion

Old 06-21-2016, 12:01 PM   #1
OrangeCrush
Kindly Asked To Leave

Finally cashed in all of my change!

Even since I got my first job coming out of art school, which was back in 1999, I started saving all of my change. Even if I had change on me when I was buying something, I never spent it. For example, if I purchased something that was $4.50 and I had .50 in my pocket, I would go ahead and just use a $5 bill and add to the change I already had on me. It was basically a very easy way of saving small amount's of money that you really don't even notice.

A few years later I won a storage bin auction that contained, among other things, 2 cases of large Detroit Red Wings piggy banks that looks like really big bottles of soda. There were 6 to a case so I wound up with 12 of them. So I started using those to store my change. They are really big as they are 24" high and when full, they are so heavy that I couldn't even move them. I literally had to use my dolly to move them.

Here is a picture of the piggy banks I am talking about. Its 100% identical to the Red Wings banks I won but this one just has a Coca Cola logo on it instead of Detroit Red Wings logo. I am sure they make a ton of different versions of these.

I filled my 11th bottle back at the end of 2014 and my final bank was roughly half full. My wife has actually been hounding me for a couple of years now to finally cash them in as they do take up a good deal of space and thier so heavy, you can't stack them or put them on shelves. I guess the good thing about that is you really don't have to worry about anyone stealing them, lol. Anyways, I wound up winning the Michigan Daily 4 lottery last week and won roughly $2700 and I have been wanting to buy a new solar Telescope from Lunt so I figured now would be a perfect time to cash them in as I figured I would have enough to buy my telescope. The telescope I want is a a double stacked LUNT LS152THA. The scope itself is $9,000 and the double stack filter is $3000 so basically your talking $12,000.

I didn't want to have to use those machines like Coin Star as I can't even imagine how long that would have taken so I called the manager at my bank. I am very friendly with the manager as I rent 4 safety deposit boxes there plus my wife and I both have our accounts there so were in there on a pretty regular basis. So I called him up and told him about my predicament. He told me I could take the coins there and best of all, since it was a cash for cash transaction, there would be no service fee. So I called my buddy who has a pick up truck and he helped me load all the banks into the back of his truck.

We got to the bank and started bringing them in one at a time. Surprisingly, it didn't take long at all. I guess banks have really nice coin sorting machines that can handle really large quantities. All in all, it took about 45 minutes, half of which was us just getting the piggy banks into the bank.

Honestly, I was expecting, or I should say hoping, it was going to be around $7,000-$8,000, but I was prepared for it to be a bit lower. I would have been disappointed if it wound up being less than $6000. Well, lets just say I was in utter shock when I got the finally tally. What I would do to see a picture of the look on my face. The final tally came out to be $14,580, or roughly $1250 per bank. my buddy who helped me is one of my lifelong friends so I wound up giving him $500 for helping me. So my finally tally wound up being closer to $14,000.

Needless to say, I called Lunt first thing this morning and placed an order for my double stacked LUNT LS152THA. And best of all, with the extra money I had, I ordered a CAK blocking filter on top of it. So I can do regular H-alpha viewing or CAK viewing. And best of all, I didn't have to spend a single cent of my lottery winnings. This has been 2 of the best weeks I have had in a long time!!!

Just goes to show, save your change and don't spend it. You just never know what you will be able to buy with it someday!!! The only bad news is the telescope is on back order and it could take up to 4-5 month to receive it! Still, I am a very happy man indeed today!!!
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 01:00 PM   #2
JadeGiant
Angry Green Rage Monster Mod. SMASH!
Super Moderator

Wow, congrats. I know nothing about telescopes and the specs are Greek to me but I can tell that you are excited to get them and passionate about that hobby. I have done the same thing over the years but always cash them in when I fill whatever container I am using (not anything as large as what you use). Once my kids got to a certain age they would pillage my change so I cashed out more frequently (I think the most I cashed out for was about 600-700 once). I now fill up Hulk banks that are on my storage wall as they are bothered - not sure what I will do once I fill all of them. I also have a water cooler bottle that is nearly full of pennies and I have often wondered how much is in there.

CAF
JadeGiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 01:45 PM   #3
OrangeCrush
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeGiant View Post
Wow, congrats. I know nothing about telescopes and the specs are Greek to me but I can tell that you are excited to get them and passionate about that hobby. I have done the same thing over the years but always cash them in when I fill whatever container I am using (not anything as large as what you use). Once my kids got to a certain age they would pillage my change so I cashed out more frequently (I think the most I cashed out for was about 600-700 once). I now fill up Hulk banks that are on my storage wall as they are bothered - not sure what I will do once I fill all of them. I also have a water cooler bottle that is nearly full of pennies and I have often wondered how much is in there.
Thanks! Yeah, I am definitely an astronomy junkie. I have watched pretty much every astronomy show and documentary ever made, many of them multiple times. I have viewed the original Cosmos (produced by Carl Sagan) at least 10 times and on my days off, I spend at least an hour a day looking at all of the various telescope websites looking at all of the new pictures being posted. Not to mention, I read tons of books on astronomy and physics. We are living in amazing times in regards to astronomy. The sheer amount of discoveries that are made every year now is staggering. This will definitely come to be known as the golden age of astronomy.

I have a Meade 10" LX200 Cassegrain Telescope for regular night sky viewing and I own a Coronado Solarmax 90 for solar viewing, but Lunt's new solar scopes have far surpassed the capabilities of Coronado's scopes. My Solarmax 90 is a 90 mm f/8.8. The Lunt LS152THA is a 152 mm f/6. That is a HUGE difference. Here are a few pictures taken with a Lunt LS152THA:

and here is what it looks like with a CAK filter, although this filter is only for taking pictures. Viewing the sun through this filter can cause serious damage to your eyes.

Basically regular solar telescopes, like the first 2 pictures I posted, let you view the H-alpha wavelength of the sun which is created by hydrogen. Ca-K filters let you view one of the two wavelength's created by Calcium. It has a beautiful bluish color and the wavelength for CAK is perfect for high magnetic fields so it gives you amazing views of sunspots and solar flares.

Thats a shame about your kids pillaging your stash!! You need to get a big chest and buy one of those really nice titanium padlocks from Masterlock, lol. One of the things I had going for me is I was actually trying to accumulate change throughout the day. I always use bills and never spend the change I have. That alone had to have added a couple dollars a day. I do have to admit, I never dreamed I was anywhere near $14,000, although it gets near impossible to estimate just how much you do have when you get really large amounts like I had. I was tempted a couple times to count a single bank, just to get an idea of how much a single bank held, but I just never got around to doing it.

One thing is for sure and that is I am starting up just where I left off. I just dumped my first handful of change into my now empty red wing bank. It really is such small amounts you just don't notice it but over long periods of time, it really does add up. Hopefully in another 10-15 years, I will be making a similar trip to the bank!!
Old 06-21-2016, 01:59 PM   #4
JadeGiant
Angry Green Rage Monster Mod. SMASH!
Super Moderator

I say pillaging but I never really cared all that much. Saved from them asking for a buck here, 2 bucks there. They don't mess with my displays so I am sure they don't even think to look and probably don't even really know that they are banks and that there might be money in there. I filled one small bank and am working on the second one. I have a decent little collection of banks so it would take a long time to fill them up. I used to do the same thing (not spend change so that I could accumulate but I don't carry much cash these days and use plastic a lot more frequently ... not nearly as much change to add as there once was.

Enjoy the telescope and good luck with the coin savings. Those pictures are really nice!

CAF
JadeGiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 07:39 PM   #5
protector2814
Phoenix

What a story OrangeCrush! & congratulations. I have an old glass water-cooler bottle in my room that's almost full. Your story has motivated me to just go on & start another one.
protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 07:59 PM   #6
ALPH4T34M
Thunderstrike

Great story and many congrats on your purchase, money well spent for sure!
ALPH4T34M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 08:44 PM   #7
OrangeCrush
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by protector2814 View Post
What a story OrangeCrush! & congratulations. I have an old glass water-cooler bottle in my room that's almost full. Your story has motivated me to just go on & start another one.
Thanks! Yeah, just keep on saving and do what I do, purposely get change throughout the day instead of spending it. If something costs $1.50 and you have .50 in your pocket, don't use it and just give the cashier 2 dollars. I literally have a handful of change by the time I get home everyday. A few dollars here and there is not easy to notice, but you add that up over years and years and it does add up to be a significant amount.

Happy saving!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALPH4T34M View Post
Great story and many congrats on your purchase, money well spent for sure!
Thanks man! Much appreciated!
Old 06-24-2016, 06:20 PM   #8
strife87
Spider-Ham

Wow, that ended up to be a very nice sum of money! Enjoy your purchase oc!
strife87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 10:39 PM   #9
OrangeCrush
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by strife87 View Post
Wow, that ended up to be a very nice sum of money! Enjoy your purchase oc!
Thanks! Definitely appreciate it.
Old 06-24-2016, 10:42 PM   #10
Cage
Statueforum Consiglieri

Great story. Congrats.
Cage is offline   Reply With Quote