Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Giclees/Lithos/Prints/Posters

Old 01-03-2013, 03:05 PM   #1
bloodrain
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

change of heart when you get hands on with a print

Anyone ever purchase a cool print online and then when it arrives and you see it up close it's much less impressive to you?

I kind of feel like that with My Skyfall and Alien Englert prints that just arrived. The Alien one just seems blurry to me but I like the colors and the skyfall one just doesn't look like the online photos to me. Almost like it didn't have enough detail/needed more color when it went to print.

The online images look much crisper to me.
bloodrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:36 PM   #2
Nidgit
Love me sexy
Adamantium Plus Member

It's usually the opposite for me. Quite often, I'm blown away by just how good the print looks in person. Englerts Alien is a tad underwhelming though. Especially when you compare it to most of his other prints.
Nidgit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 06:37 PM   #3
bloodrain
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

the metallic ink prints look really cool in person and you cant get that effect in an online image.

when i get home ill show a comparison of my skyfall englert and images posted online to show how non detailed it looks
Old 01-03-2013, 08:17 PM   #4
Simplyrob
3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

oh man, cant believe you picked Englert to rag on. his stuff is waaaaaay detailed. ive got almost every print of his and hope to complete my collection. in your defense though, i was a bit underwhelmed at how easily it seems he makes his prints. he had a post on his blog awhile back before Skyfall dropped and he showed the step by step process it took to make the print. im in the process of learning photoshop, maybe that kinda took away from the prints, for me. i kind of associate it with learning a magicians secrets. to each his own i suppose. actually, learning that most prints are done digitally now really was like a swift kick in the nuts. hell, 6 months from now, i could be making dope prints with photoshop.
Simplyrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:53 PM   #5
joerock
U talkin' to me?

I know how you feel, I had Englerts Alien and IT. Don't get me wrong, not knocking them, just felt they werent frame worthy. Sold them both. But his Thing is pretty bada$$
joerock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:03 PM   #6
bloodrain

I want to be clear I don't mean to rag on the artist. I like all his stuff I have seen including the two I purchased. These just happened to be two examples where I think there is a noticeable detail difference in what you see in online photos vs what is printed on paper. You see a noticeable difference in the house and grass. I would say it's like comparing HD vs SD pictures on tv

online image frlom bottleneck

my print

closer shot of my print

the alien print is significantly different in quality compared to the very crisp online image i see
Old 01-04-2013, 01:41 AM   #7
Simplyrob
3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

well, i guess i see what youre saying. the online version looks more sepia than the actual. i still havent taken mine out of the tube. havent removed either of my alien prints from their respective tubes either, but, i will be framing them together, regardless. i like the darker actual version more. i think it gives it more of a dislocated and foggy moorish feeling. superawesome to me, but, to each his own.
Simplyrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:52 PM   #8
ReplicantSavior
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodrain View Post
Anyone ever purchase a cool print online and then when it arrives and you see it up close it's much less impressive to you?
I'm the opposite too. Every Mondo print is far better than the released images in person. I haven't picked up an Englert print yet. He had a strong start with The Thing, which I considered buying. And a couple other interesting releases. But overall I've been a bit disappointed with his releases.
ReplicantSavior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:06 AM   #9
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nidgit View Post
It's usually the opposite for me. Quite often, I'm blown away by just how good the print looks in person.
This has been my experience with every print I've bought.
Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:27 PM   #10
Matches Malone
Bub Mod

Most are exactly as I have imagined them, sometimes a little less striking but richer than the jpegs but others, like Slaters Robocop, have completely blown me away in person.
Matches Malone is offline   Reply With Quote