Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Books, Literature & News

Old 02-01-2010, 09:21 PM   #231
michaelgloch
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

I'm working through Starcraft: Shadow Hunter right now. Considering what I'm having to read in school I'm trying to avoid anything that requires any kind of thought or demands analysis at all.
michaelgloch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 09:27 PM   #232
batman1180
Captain Marvel

Reading the Silent Blade on my Kindle. Another great entry in the Drizzt series.
batman1180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 09:29 PM   #233
batman1180
Captain Marvel

Quote:
Originally Posted by protector2814 View Post
Are these marketed as "young adult" books or are they straight-up novels? I'd love to start these as well. BC, let us know how this one is.
These are straight up novels. As much as I hate to make the comparison, along the same lines of the Harry Potter series. They are really fast reads with some surprisingly adult overtones.
batman1180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 10:47 PM   #234
spenca7
Loki

The Hobbit
spenca7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 12:24 PM   #235
IceWing
I used up all my sick days, so I'm calling in dead.

I just finished the last book of Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn series. He's the guy that's finishing up the Wheel of Time books. It was a really good/fun fantasy series. I got the first two at my local used bookstore and the last one for my Kindle.

Two days ago I started Kelly Armstrong's No Humans Involved.
IceWing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 02:49 PM   #236
protector2814
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by batman1180 View Post
These are straight up novels. As much as I hate to make the comparison, along the same lines of the Harry Potter series. They are really fast reads with some surprisingly adult overtones.
Just read your answer. Thanks
protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 03:28 PM   #237
JLM
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

After reading seven of PG Wodehouse's Jeeves novels back to back, I've started The Writer's Tale by Russell T Davies, Doctor Who's outgoing showrunner. It's a series of emails about the turmoils of the writing process.
JLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 03:29 PM   #238
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

I'm listening to the Hobbit and LOTR on book on CD.
Old 02-16-2010, 04:47 PM   #239
Darth Torment
What is a free gift? Aren't all gifts free?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Torment View Post
Finally finished War and Peace (the 1500 page version translated by Rosemary Edmonds). Although a good book and incredibly well written, I think the reputation and high praise it gets is heavily overrated when it comes to the story itself.
I have read a few books that have clocked in at over 1000 pages and that did not feel like 1000+ or at least had enough content to struggle somewhat succesfully to that length, but there is alot of fat that could have been trimmed off this book (I guess that explains why you can get abridged versions that come under 900 pages). But, I chose this version of the book as it is pretty much closest to the true representation of the feel and translation as Tolstoy had intended.

This book is the equivalent of a movie that makes boat loads of money, is good, but not as great as it should be from the critical acclaim.

I am halfway through "The Prince" now...this is a really quick read in comparison (150 some odd pages) but wow is it interesting..like a guidebook to dictatorship LOL. Kinda crazy.
Since posting this I finished The Prince and have read Treasure Island which was a great read. Alot of fun and cool to finally get around to reading this "classic" book that pretty much moulded our current image of pirates (however inaccurate it might be)

This weekend I just started and finished Madame Bovary which was an excellent read.
I would definately recommend this book. It is about 430 pages, but breezed though it quite quick. Really liked this one!

I just stared Bram Stoker's Dracula today.
Darth Torment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 10:50 AM   #240
twoferflinchin
What happens if you get scared half to death twice?

Ozzy Osbourne's new autobiography "I Am Ozzy". Don't know how he made it through all those years, but as a fan, I'm glad he did. Great read.
twoferflinchin is offline   Reply With Quote