Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics > The Mighty Reviews

Old 11-09-2006, 04:25 PM   #11
DaddyVader
Mephisto

Angry Batman #658-Spoilers

I have to say I found the ending to this arc completely unsatisfying. We're presented with Damian, supposedly the son of Batman & Talia, who promptly roughs up Alfred, seriously injures, almost kills Tim and murders The Spook by beheading him. We're seriously talking the bad seed here! So when Batman figures out Talia's scheme involving the kidnapping the British PM's wife and a horde of ninja Man-Bats, he brings the brat along with him to Gibraltar because he doesn't trust Damian not to burn down Wayne Manor while he's gone. This brings about the big family reunion that Talia wanted. See, her plan is for the three of them to be one big happy world dominating family! This all takes place on the deck of Talia's submarine off the coast of Gibraltar. Thankfully, the Royal Navy is on hand to rescue the PM's wife in a rubber raft and fire off a couple of torpedo's to sink Talia's sub. Now Batman, who of course as usual has planned for every eventuality, unveils his master plan. He jumps off the boat just before the torpedoes hit. Yep, that's it. Talia escapes. Damian, that Alfred beating, Robin stomping, Spook decapitating madcap takes it on the lam with his mom and Batman is left standing on shore of Gibraltar, holding Damian's wet cape and wondering about all the Father's Day cards he never got.
I realize the writer didn't want to tie up ALL of the loose ends, but I'd like my heroes to accomplish a little more than ending up with wet tights! Sorry, good lead-up and characterization, but I found the ending totally unsatisfying; it left me colder than Batman's soggy tights!

Daddy V
DaddyVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 05:53 PM   #12
Sam Wilson
Samurai Vato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kdawg59 View Post
Cannot wait to have you back kicking ass Joe...
word brother, word.
Sam Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 06:04 PM   #13
Sam Wilson
Samurai Vato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kdawg59 View Post
Final beautiful splash page indeed… Riddle me this comic fans… what is black, red, and white all over… is hotter than the sun… and say’s “Little Uncle?”
Dawg, my brother. My girl is back in all her short Haired plunging neckline glory...
Sam Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 06:06 PM   #14
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Wilson View Post
Dawg, my brother. My girl is back in all her short Haired plunging neckline glory...
I'll say. That's one hell of an ending splash page. Good to see the Frank Miller togs back.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 06:13 PM   #15
risingstar
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyVader View Post
I have to say I found the ending to this arc completely unsatisfying. We're presented with Damian, supposedly the son of Batman & Talia, who promptly roughs up Alfred, seriously injures, almost kills Tim and murders The Spook by beheading him. We're seriously talking the bad seed here!
Daddy V

This kid follows the Talia/Bruce romp in "son of the demon", right? How old can he be? That story could not have taken more than 4 or 5 years ago in Batman time.

Yeesh... Doesn't sound too good so far, DV.
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 11:39 PM   #16
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarrgghh!! View Post
Good to see GL/GA Adams O'neil reviewed, they are true classics. The slip case version is getting up there in price since it is now out of print. I wish they'd produce a slip case for the 3 Batman volumes.
There's still room for these classic stories even today.
Old 11-10-2006, 11:29 AM   #17
whd
Suicide Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf View Post
Totally agree, whd. I reviewed the three volume Neal Adams Batman HCs (would love for DC to create just the slip case in which to put these volumes). The Deadman book is incredible as well.

Have you read the GL/GA volume? If so, what'd you think?
The GL/GA is the first one I got, even though I already had the baxter paper reprint series they did. Those issues were so far beyond everything else being done at the time, it's not even funny.

I seem to remember there being talk of producing a slipcase for the Batman books, but nothing ever materialized. Then again, it felt like it took forever for them to get all 3 volumes out.
whd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 11:22 PM   #18
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

I'm finally getting all caught up on two weeks' worth of comics and I just have to say....

John Romita, Jr. on The Eternals is...the...man!!! The image of Zuras' finally becoming cognizant is just astounding. Like when he drew Odin back in his days on Thor.

Damn, this book is just too damn good!
Old 11-15-2006, 09:28 PM   #19
bat_collector
Galactus

I just finished batman, and I loved it. LOVED IT.

Damian and jason todd need to team up together.
bat_collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 10:38 PM   #20
madjazz
Defender of The Defenders

I'm holding out for the TPBK of Eternals. Sounds like it will be a good story.

I agree that Batman has been a good read lately. I was getting ready to chop that title, but it is still on my llist for a while longer.

I've recently dropped Supreme Power/Squadron Supreme. They keep stopping the book and doing side minis, etc. Keep one book going and keep it coming out on time. I did really enjoy the initial Supreme Power book, but the first set of minis were weak and the new book was mediocre IMO.

Has anybody out there been reading Emissary (Image)? The one dimensional portrayal of some of the political figures is disappointing, but it is a fantastic read overall.
madjazz is offline   Reply With Quote