Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Home Grown > Sculptor's Pit Stop

Old 05-27-2014, 05:57 PM   #1
Scote
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

Adam Beane - Cx5 material

Did someone have try the Cx5 material. It's like clay, plastic and liquid..

Scote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 01:32 AM   #2
DekayX
Doh!

just watched a sort of tutorial done by him, seemed pretty interesting material to use, but not really sure about it because i believe i heard him say that its not really a finish material. Which i find weird because a lot of the head portraits shown seem to be done in that material.

Anyone try this material?
DekayX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 12:22 PM   #3
noysan3001

I think what his trying to convey is you need to cast your piece once done if you wanted to paint it and have it displayed.
noysan3001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 04:34 PM   #4
cyborgt800

Yes, this stuff eliminates the need for a crossover waste mold/wax cast but it is not intended to be a finish material.

His sculptures are displayed in CX5 but that is probably because he's promoting the material and it is durable enough. It would be far less costly to cast the final piece....if you are going to produce multiples or paint them.

I see the potential of this material but I haven't got the hang of it yet. I still prefer Chavant's Y2Klay, which is cheaper and in my opinion does the exact same thing as CX5. Y2Klay does NOT get quite as hard though....it is still workable by hand and can be poured, milled, sanded etc..
cyborgt800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 05:24 AM   #5
admiral mick
Doh!

I tried Cx5 , that's an excellent wax.
It's rock hard and you can smooth it with sand paper and then zippo fluid ect..

But if you want to use it as a "clay-like" material, you have to be VERY fast before it cool down.
The fact is that very few wax can be sculpt by hand first and then finish it with wax pen and smoothing techniques.

I would say that's a great Castilene alternative (Cx5 will not burn like Castliene).

here is a 1/2 C.reeve head I made in Cx5

admiral mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 04:28 PM   #6
MeoWorks
Frackin!

Cx5 is good stuff, great actually. I'll never use another medium again. It literally does what it advertises and does it fantastically. It has all sorts of strengths but I think the primary strength is it can be melted to insanely high temperatures (I've brought it to 200F + before) without it even smelling or burning. This is advantageous in case you need to pour in molds with various levels of details and need to prevent cool down while pouring. If you already sculpt with wax, it's insanely easy to get used to as well and retains even the finest details when cooled.

IT'S GREAT STUFF, I wish I invented it. Adam and Alexis are both very helpful as well and will answer emails within hours usually.

I use the stuff to sculpt replica props and will post some examples soon.
MeoWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 01:19 PM   #7
Scote

I try it, with the Kerrlab wxer and with the basic pen who come with it. Maybe I'm more accustomed to y2clay too. Never work with Wax type.

I order the two others tips for my waxer in hope the process will be faster to move the wax around. stay tune for my review
Scote is offline   Reply With Quote