Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Home Economics > Cooking Class

Old 04-14-2011, 11:37 AM   #1
hawkeyethearcher
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

asian recipes?

anyone have any recipes they love? I would love a different wonton recipe besides just crab and cream cheese.
hawkeyethearcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 01:07 PM   #2
protector2814
Phoenix

I'm doing a beef stir-fry tonight. I add a spicy terriyaki. That's about as far as my asian cooking knowledge goes. I cook curries but only w/ the store-bought sauces. For some reason, asian cuisine seems too daunting for me. I just pick up the phone, I'm ashamed to say.
protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 08:05 AM   #3
iceprince_x
Deadman

Simple but a good salad treat for your family...

Oriental Mandarin Orange Salad:

Dressing: (adjust taste according to your liking)
Honey
Sesame Oil
Balsamic Vinegar
Salt and Pepper

Salad:
Mandarin orange peeled and deveined
romaine lettuce
turnips (cut thinly lengthwise)
carrots (cut thinly lengthwise)
cucumber (cut thinly lengthwise)

Optional:
poached chicken breast (cut into cubes) or
ham (cut into small squares) or
shrimp cooked and deveined

Toppings:
toasted sesame seeds
a few more mandarin pieces oranges

This is one of my family and friend's favorite oriental inspired dishes.
iceprince_x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 09:48 PM   #4
seobts
Doh!

Chicken Rice

Ingredients

1 cup uncooked white rice
1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of chicken soup
1 7/8 cups water
1 (1 ounce) package dry onion soup mix
4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
Spread rice in the bottom of a 9x13 inch baking dish. Rinse chicken and pat dry; arrange chicken pieces on top of rice.
Mix soup and water together and pour over chicken and rice. Sprinkle dry onion soup mix on top. Cover and seal TIGHTLY with foil. Bake in the preheated oven for 1 to 1 1/2 hours. Enjoy!

sua chua may lanh
seobts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 11:19 AM   #5
Monocle
I took an IQ test and the results were negative.

Wasabi Broccoli

This is more of a side vegetable filler, but I love it.

Wasabi Broccoli:

-A few heads of broccoli
-4 T soy sauce
-2 T sake
-1 T sugar (or whatever sweetener you prefer)
-2 1/2 t of powered wasabi with some water to make a paste.

First step, cut broccoli into bite-sized pieces. Then, blanch broccoli in salted water. Then rinse with cold water to stop cooking.

Meanwhile, mix the soy sauce, sake, and sugar in a small saucepan and cook over low heat until sugar is melted. Let cool, then add wasabi and mix to combine. I usually use a spoon to crush in in.

You can leave some wasabi out to add later, but I usually mix it all.

Pour over broccoli and boom! You're done. Super easy and tasty.

(Recipe remembered from JustHungry.com)
Monocle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 11:12 PM   #6
Sithlord32
New Republic

This is my own own recipe for beef or pork ribs. You can break it down and add other ingredients and make a myriad of variations for several dishes.

I primarily cook Lao and Thai food and this comes in direct influence from what i have learned on how their food is served. Its a very social cultural cuisine. Most everything is primary eaten with your hands and served thusly. There is little to no waste in this method of cooking and I really like that plus most of what i need I grow myself in a very small garden.

Ok back to the ribs.

There are dry ingredients and wet. Traditionally you combine the dry ingredients first then add the wet.You can use a mortar & pestle for a traditional way or just combine all the dry ingredients with the wet in a blender or food processor to save time.

I pretty much eyeball everything but this is a close proximity you can add or subtract any of it to your liking.

Ingredients
  • 2 Stalks of lemon grass cut fine (discard the bulb)
  • 4 Whole lime leaves cut fine
  • 1 Whole garlic clove diced
  • 1 Small handful of Thai basil leaves
  • 6 Thai peppers (or more to your liking)
  • 6 Scallions cut fine or 1 small white red or vadilia onion will work cut in chunks
  • 2 TBSP sugar or 1/2 C. of sugar cane juice if available
  • 1 1/2 TBSP of fermented fish sauce
  • 1 1/2 TBSP of table fish sauce
  • 4-5 Roma tomatoes or a handful of cherry tomatoes
  • 1/2 cup of any fruit juice I prefer orange or a orange blend

Sometimes ill throw on a 1/4 of a can of beer as well.

I do add MSG about a 1/2 TBSP diluted in water first. It has a very unique flavor and is different from salt. It is not harmful if used properly like many think it is but it is not necessary.
Anything you have left over in the fridge can be added to your liking the left over vegetables from this and other dishes are good for spring and summer rolls.

Combine all ingredients and let sit with the ribs for at least a few hours i like to leave the them overnight. Shake or turn or stir them to let all the indigents coat the ribs well. Through on the grill over low heat. here is where I like to use the larger onion option as they can be cooked right on the ribs over the heat.

Ive never made them in an oven but I would try either a medium high heat till they reach the internal heat temp for the meat flipping them half way through or broiling them.

This is enough for two racks of ribs.
Sithlord32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 07:05 AM   #7
JP Sarri
Retired Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sithlord32 View Post
This is my own own recipe for beef or pork ribs. You can break it down and add other ingredients and make a myriad of variations for several dishes.

I primarily cook Lao and Thai food and this comes in direct influence from what i have learned on how their food is served. Its a very social cultural cuisine. Most everything is primary eaten with your hands and served thusly. There is little to no waste in this method of cooking and I really like that plus most of what i need I grow myself in a very small garden.

Ok back to the ribs.

There are dry ingredients and wet. Traditionally you combine the dry ingredients first then add the wet.You can use a mortar & pestle for a traditional way or just combine all the dry ingredients with the wet in a blender or food processor to save time.

I pretty much eyeball everything but this is a close proximity you can add or subtract any of it to your liking.

Ingredients
  • 2 Stalks of lemon grass cut fine (discard the bulb)
  • 4 Whole lime leaves cut fine
  • 1 Whole garlic clove diced
  • 1 Small handful of Thai basil leaves
  • 6 Thai peppers (or more to your liking)
  • 6 Scallions cut fine or 1 small white red or vadilia onion will work cut in chunks
  • 2 TBSP sugar or 1/2 C. of sugar cane juice if available
  • 1 1/2 TBSP of fermented fish sauce
  • 1 1/2 TBSP of table fish sauce
  • 4-5 Roma tomatoes or a handful of cherry tomatoes
  • 1/2 cup of any fruit juice I prefer orange or a orange blend

Sometimes ill throw on a 1/4 of a can of beer as well.

I do add MSG about a 1/2 TBSP diluted in water first. It has a very unique flavor and is different from salt. It is not harmful if used properly like many think it is but it is not necessary.
Anything you have left over in the fridge can be added to your liking the left over vegetables from this and other dishes are good for spring and summer rolls.

Combine all ingredients and let sit with the ribs for at least a few hours i like to leave the them overnight. Shake or turn or stir them to let all the indigents coat the ribs well. Through on the grill over low heat. here is where I like to use the larger onion option as they can be cooked right on the ribs over the heat.

Ive never made them in an oven but I would try either a medium high heat till they reach the internal heat temp for the meat flipping them half way through or broiling them.

This is enough for two racks of ribs.
Great rib recipe! I gotta try it some day. Thanks for sharing, bro!
JP Sarri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 12:19 AM   #8
Sithlord32
New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsarri View Post
Great rib recipe! I gotta try it some day. Thanks for sharing, bro!
No problem plenty more where that came from as well. Ill try and get some more up here eventually.

Made another batch of these today but went for a bit sweeter side and eliminated the peppers. I highly suggest messing with the amounts of all the main ingredients that add the balance of sweet, sour, spice, and tangy till you find what you like the most.
Sithlord32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 05:22 AM   #9
obalouafi
Doh!

Big like for the guys who provided some asian recipes here , you really helped me out , thanks
obalouafi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 11:36 AM   #10
nidewetsuit
Kindly Asked To Leave

My favorite Asian dish would be Kung Pao Chicken, I order this every time we visit the Chinese restaurant just across our block. It's also easy to do:

1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into 1 inch pieces
1 tablespoon cornstarch
2 teaspoons light sesame oil or 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
3 tablespoons green onions, chopped with tops
2 garlic cloves, minced
1⁄4-1 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (to your own taste)
1⁄2 teaspoon powdered ginger (can use fresh grated if preferred)
2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 teaspoons sugar
1⁄3 cup dry roasted peanuts
4 cups cooked rice, hot

DIRECTIONS

Combine chicken and cornstarch in small bowl. Toss to coat. Heat oil in large non-stick skillet or wok on medium heat. Add chicken. Stir fry 5- 7 minutes or until no longer pink in center. Remove from heat. Add onions, garlic, red pepper and ginger to skillet. Stir fry 15 seconds. Remove from heat. Combine vinegar, soy sauce and sugar in small bowl. Stir well. Add to skillet. Return chicken to skillet. Stir until chicken is well coated. Stir in nuts. Heat thoroughly, stirring occasionally. Serve over hot rice.
nidewetsuit is offline   Reply With Quote