Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 07-14-2015, 12:19 AM   #521
AlizAbef
What's another word for Thesaurus?

Alright I haven't given my feedback on this one yet, but I thought I should since I'm USAF and it's obvious Sideshow went with a saluting Supergirl.

It think it's fine if they wanna go with Supergirl saluting, but Sideshow should've researched military customs and courtesies, because if they're gonna go with a salute, then they better do it right.

A salute isn't accomplished with the left hand...it's done with the right hand. Supergirl's hand salute is way too high above her eyebrow. I'm not saying the salute has to be perfect. I mean this IS a comic book character, but this one is a little ridiculous. It looks more like she's trying to block the sunlight with her hand so she can see for miles.

Without a hat or a cover, this is what a proper salute should look like. Like I said, it doesn't have to be perfect, but it should be close enough and never accomplished with the left hand.

Salute without a hat:

Supergirl's salute could've looked like this and it would've passed in my book:

Anyway, I agree...Sideshow needs to fix that.
AlizAbef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 12:24 AM   #522
CessnaDriver
Suicide Squad

She's a teenage girl from another planet.
I think she can be cut some slack, probably just sort of saying hi to people in a building or airplane or something.
CessnaDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 12:37 AM   #523
AlizAbef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CessnaDriver View Post
She's a teenage girl from another planet.
lol! You're right, I forgot. She's a teenager. Which obviously gives her an excuse to not be smart.

However, if it's not meant to be a salute, then I take back everything I said.
Old 07-14-2015, 01:23 AM   #524
CessnaDriver
Suicide Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlizAbef View Post
lol! You're right, I forgot. She's a teenager. Which obviously gives her an excuse to not be smart.

However, if it's not meant to be a salute, then I take back everything I said.
I really don't think it is supposed to be an actual salute, there is no flag or military presence depicted or even implied in any way, I think it's just a civilian hi there hence the left hand and an obvious non-serious expression.
CessnaDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 06:45 AM   #525
Mr. Nice Guy
New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by built2shred View Post
Now this face would of been perfect

I couldn't display something like this. Her face looks 16 in this picture!
Mr. Nice Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 08:07 AM   #526
Anthos
A conclusion is simply the place where you got tired of thinking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Nice Guy View Post
Just a general question regarding buyers of this statue. So I collect and read comics and enjoy the nostalgia of these characters. I generally stick to few collections including the DC Direct arkham pieces, very select Marvel PF and comiquettes and the Batman PF collection.

Rarely I can't help but snag a piece outside these collections for a character I really like. Example, I have a couple mortal kombat pieces and I'll be grabbing the new red Sonja.

For characters such as this, I can't imagine many grown men reading the super girl comics. You could even probably say that many characters like this were created to try to appeal to young girls back in the day.

So why do these statues sell to grown men?

I really am not trying to offend. Is there a strong group of collectors here that buy statues like this because they are young perky girls? I do understand when a statue of a beautiful woman looks...well...hot. But is this a big thing to many collectors?

In all honesty, I've been seeing waaaaay too many female characters getting built to the point that Supergirl is coming out before characters like Lex Luthor. Catwoman, Catwoman again, Supergirl, harley, Wonder Woman, Red Son Wonder Woman, poison ivy, batgirl. On a per capita basis of female statues built versus those available to build its kind of outstanding.

Thoughts? Do people really like Supergirl?
I've stated this before when asked similar questions: I like super heroes. I like boobs. I like super heroes with boobs. While not as eloquent as what COI said, their it is.
Anthos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 08:09 AM   #527
Anthos
A conclusion is simply the place where you got tired of thinking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlizAbef View Post
Alright I haven't given my feedback on this one yet, but I thought I should since I'm USAF and it's obvious Sideshow went with a saluting Supergirl.

It think it's fine if they wanna go with Supergirl saluting, but Sideshow should've researched military customs and courtesies, because if they're gonna go with a salute, then they better do it right.

A salute isn't accomplished with the left hand...it's done with the right hand. Supergirl's hand salute is way too high above her eyebrow. I'm not saying the salute has to be perfect. I mean this IS a comic book character, but this one is a little ridiculous. It looks more like she's trying to block the sunlight with her hand so she can see for miles.

Without a hat or a cover, this is what a proper salute should look like. Like I said, it doesn't have to be perfect, but it should be close enough and never accomplished with the left hand.

Salute without a hat:

Supergirl's salute could've looked like this and it would've passed in my book:

Anyway, I agree...Sideshow needs to fix that.
Are we sure it's even a salute and not a looking into the distance gesture?
Anthos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 10:18 AM   #528
AlizAbef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthos View Post
Are we sure it's even a salute and not a looking into the distance gesture?
I'm not sure what it is, haha. Everyone has been claiming it to be a salute of some sort, but since it's with her left arm, then I'm just gonna assume it's a quick hand gesture or something.
Old 07-14-2015, 05:57 PM   #529
Shanesg
Green Lantern Corps

Quote:
Originally Posted by CessnaDriver View Post
I really don't think it is supposed to be an actual salute, there is no flag or military presence depicted or even implied in any way, I think it's just a civilian hi there hence the left hand and an obvious non-serious expression.
It's obviously supposed to be a salute. If it's not that than I don't know what it is. She could be trying to keep the sun out of her eyes?
Shanesg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 06:00 PM   #530
Mr. Nice Guy
New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanesg View Post
It's onviously supposed to be a salute. If it's not that than I don't know what it is. She could be trying to keep the sun out of her eyes?
Does super girl need to keep the sun out her eyes?
Mr. Nice Guy is offline   Reply With Quote