Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Tweeterhead

Old 01-04-2019, 01:43 PM   #551
Kebron
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augen View Post
Newbie question. Are those limited and sell out quickly like this? Should I expect artist proofs to cost more or less than these prints?
APs mean different things to different artists. Generally (and what a AP is suppose to be) they are a very limited number of prints taken at random from the ones printed that the artist QCs to make sure the run printed fine, making them more rare then the numbered run, sometimes a artist will add a remarque or specialty sign it to make them even more unique. Some artists though use the AP as a way to continue selling popular prints when the limited ones have run out, making them like a general release of the print, while still keeping the "illusion" that it is a limited run.
Kebron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 01:48 PM   #552
grphyx1
Kingpin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kebron View Post
APs mean different things to different artists. Generally (and what a AP is suppose to be) they are a very limited number of prints taken at random from the ones printed that the artist QCs to make sure the run printed fine, making them more rare then the numbered run, sometimes a artist will add a remarque or specialty sign it to make them even more unique. Some artists though use the AP as a way to continue selling popular prints when the limited ones have run out, making them like a general release of the print, while still keeping the "illusion" that it is a limited run.
The above I think is applicable to small run prints that artist themselves do. When these galleries do it the prints are sent to a printing company. The artist themselves get paid contractually to do the original art but not per print sold by the gallery. Their AP's are the only way that they get the money directly to them from sales of the print.
grphyx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 01:51 PM   #553
Augen
Metal Men

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kebron View Post
Thank you for the explanation. I'll see how the AP experience goes then.
Augen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 01:53 PM   #554
No1WonderFan
Blue Falcon

Wow. I would've bought the "Regular" WW and the "Classic" Debbie Domaine Cheetah. I've never heard of BNG. Oh well.
No1WonderFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 01:59 PM   #555
Kebron

Quote:
Originally Posted by grphyx1 View Post
The above I think is applicable to small run prints that artist themselves do. When these galleries do it the prints are sent to a printing company. The artist themselves get paid contractually to do the original art but not per print sold by the gallery. Their AP's are the only way that they get the money directly to them from sales of the print.
Mostly yes. What I'm referring to is something I witnessed at Star Wars Celebration the 3 times I went. ACME Archives was the company you ordered them from, but you would go to the artist to pick up the prints. I would walk up to some of the artists (not all) and they would ask me what number I wanted, or if I wanted a AP. If I said AP, they would pull from a stack of prints that were thicker then the numbered ones. I stopped asking for APs unless they came with a remarque after that.

I haven't actively collected art or prints for several years now outside of the occasional commission, so I'm sure a lot has changed.
Old 01-04-2019, 02:08 PM   #556
NorthernLadMSP
Jedi Order

BTW guys I talked to the artist on Instagram yesterday, and he said the next two he'll be doing are Zatanna and Supergirl.
NorthernLadMSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 02:18 PM   #557
Augen
Metal Men

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernLadMSP View Post
BTW guys I talked to the artist on Instagram yesterday, and he said the next two he'll be doing are Zatanna and Supergirl.

This could be dangerous if I can actually get anything.
Augen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 02:23 PM   #558
NorthernLadMSP
Jedi Order

Quote:

P.S. He did three Catwoman variants (black goggles, purple Balent and gray BTAS), three Ivys (BTAS, classic, and green skin) and three Harleys (Suicide Squad, jester w/ hammer and jester w/ unmasked and gun).

Sadly, I found out about those long after they were sold out.
NorthernLadMSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 02:28 PM   #559
Kebron

Quote:

Collecting art is a very slippery slope. Double so if you pair it with statues or 1/6 figures for a really nice display.

Prints are great, but to truly get something you want commissioning a artist for a custom piece is really the best way to go. It's a lot more expensive depending on the artist though. But it's pretty satisfying having a 1 of 1.
Old 01-04-2019, 02:30 PM   #560
No1WonderFan
Blue Falcon

Are they all 16x20? I couldn't get many at that size. Now, if he were to release them in like 8x10....
No1WonderFan is offline   Reply With Quote