Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 11-21-2005, 01:54 AM   #1
grendelscott
The Damned Mod
Adamantium Member

Grendelscott's DVD Corner: 11/20/05

Welcome back! Just to recap for any new members, each week I will post what is due out that week (or at least most of the main stream releases, as anywhere from 100-300 DVDs are released each week). I'll then spotlight a DVD with a review or news about a new one coming out. Finally, I'll post a DVD easter egg or two each week. Many of you might already know of them, but they are fun things to find "hidden" on your DVDs.

Lot's o' Season goodness this week...and you can now own your own Puffy Shirt! (collectible that is...)

DVD releases due out Tuesday, Nov 22nd:

Movies:
TV Seasons/Box Sets:
  • Aeon Flux: The Complete Animated Collection (Box Cover)
  • Andy Griffith - The Complete Fourth Season (Box Cover)
  • Astro Boy Collectors Box Set (Box Cover)
  • The Best of American Idol, Seasons 1-4 (Box Cover)
  • The Best and Worst of American Idol Limited Edition (Box Cover)
  • CSI: Miami - The Complete Third Season (Box Cover)
  • Dark Shadows DVD Collection 21 (Box Cover)
  • Extreme Makeover: Home Edition (Box Cover)
  • The French Chef With Julia Child 2 (Box Cover)
  • Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex 2nd Gig Vol. 2 (Special Edition) (Box Cover)
  • Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex 2nd Gig Vol. 2 (Box Cover)
  • The Golden Girls Season Three (Box Cover)
  • Harry Chapin: Remember When, The Anthology (Box Cover)
  • Home Improvement: Season Three (Box Cover)
  • The King Kong Collection (Box Cover)
  • King of the Hill Season Five (Box Cover)
  • Leave It to Beaver The Complete First Season Limited Edition Gift Set (Box Cover)
  • Leave It to Beaver The Complete First Season (Box Cover)
  • The Ross McElwee DVD Collection (Box Cover)
  • Scary True Stories: Ten Haunting Tales From the Japanese Underground (Box Cover)
  • Seinfeld Season 5 (Box Cover)
  • Seinfeld Season 6 (Box Cover)
  • Seinfeld Seasons 5 & 6 Giftset (Box Cover)
  • The Worst of American Idol, Seasons 1-4 (Box Cover)
  • The X-Files Mythology: Super Soldiers (Box Cover)

DVD INFO
King Kong (Collector's Edition) (1933)
From DVD Empire

The legendary classic about a giant ape that is brought to New York City, and wreaks havoc!

The Collector's Edition comes in an exclusive tin case and includes a reproduction of the original 1933 Souvenir Program, King Kong Postcards and a vintage King Kong Poster Mail-In Offer!

Features:
  • Commentary with Ray Harryhausen, Ken Ralston with Merian C. Cooper, Ernest B. Shoedsack, Ruth Rose, Fay Wray and Robert Ryan
  • RKO Production 601: The Making of Kong, Eighth Wonder of the World (7-Part Documentary)
  • I'm Kong: The Exploits of Merian C. Cooper (2005 TCM documentary)
  • Hollywood The Golden Years: The RKO Story- Birth of a Titan (1987 BBC documentary)
  • Creation Test Footage with Optional Commentary by Ray Harryhausen
  • Theatrical Trailer
  • Merian C. Cooper Trailer Gallery
Video:
  • Standard 1.33:1 B&W
Audio:
  • ENGLISH: Dolby Digital Mono
Subtitles:
  • None

This Week's DVD Easter Egg(s)

The 10th Kingdom
Source: Eye Crave DVD

One Egg is found on disc one's main menu. You start it by selecting "Kingdoms". You then will see a map that lists 9 kingdoms and asks you to "Search for the Hidden 10th Kingdom". The cursor will be highlighting the 1st Kingdom when you enter this screen. Use your remote to move left to the 3rd Kingdom and then again up to the 4th Kingdom. Now, move it to the right and the cursor will position itself on a small castle. Press "Enter". A screen will come up to tell you that you have found the "Hidden 10th Kingdom"

But wait there's more. Once you've read the message, you can move the cursor up to highlight the Magic Mirror. By selecting the mirror it reveals a short clip showing two of the characters entering the 10th Kingdom.

That's all folks! Thanks for reading, and see you next week. I'm off to watch the finale of Rome on HBO...
grendelscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 02:36 AM   #2
Zurbaran1
Mod Guru

After looking over the weekly flyers and paging through Entertainment Weekly I was just thinking what a brutal week it is going to be for DVDs. Lots of stuff I want to pick up and of course the Puffy shirt!!! I think you missed Miami Vice Season 2.
Zurbaran1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 02:38 AM   #3
Ghost
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Yeah the Puffy shirt! Can't wait to pick that up as well as Aeon Flux!
Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 02:40 AM   #4
Zurbaran1
Mod Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost
Yeah the Puffy shirt! Can't wait to pick that up as well as Aeon Flux!
Best Buy has an exclusive extra DVD with their Aeon Flux. Don't know what's on it. They are also offering some Book for free to reward zone members with War of the Worlds and a free litho with Polar Express. And TUesday is also Xbox 360 day.
Old 11-21-2005, 03:00 AM   #5
Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zurbaran1
Best Buy has an exclusive extra DVD with their Aeon Flux. Don't know what's on it. They are also offering some Book for free to reward zone members with War of the Worlds and a free litho with Polar Express. And TUesday is also Xbox 360 day.

That I did see. I'm not interested in WotW, so prolly just Aeon and Seinfeld for me this week. You getting a 360, Zurb?
Old 11-21-2005, 03:06 AM   #6
Zurbaran1
Mod Guru

I'm thinking about the 360 but I'm not going to jump through hoops to get one. I'm usually an early adopter and have pre-ordered the systems to make sure I get one of the first but I didn't do that with the 360. I was just reading on CNN today how there may be a shorter of these leading up to the holidays and how Microsoft may have significantly overstated the number of units. I'm thinking this might be a good one to pick up and flip now during the holiday frenzy. Looks like they are going for some serious money on ebay already. What will happen when the initial supply dries up just before the holiday? But today my kids started bugging me about it and they want one so I may just buy it and keep it. I'm not going to stand on a line for 3 hours or anything like that. I'll walk in when the store opens and if I can grab one I will.

You?
Old 11-21-2005, 03:13 AM   #7
grendelscott
The Damned Mod
Adamantium Member

Quote:
After looking over the weekly flyers and paging through Entertainment Weekly I was just thinking what a brutal week it is going to be for DVDs. Lots of stuff I want to pick up and of course the Puffy shirt!!! I think you missed Miami Vice Season 2.
It is a brutal week. As for Miami Vice season 2, it looks like it was bumped back to 12/13. Best Buy and Amazon both show 12/13, but DVD Empire shows 11/22.
Old 11-21-2005, 03:15 AM   #8
Zurbaran1
Mod Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by grendelscott
It is a brutal week. As for Miami Vice season 2, it looks like it was bumped back to 12/13. Best Buy and Amazon both show 12/13, but DVD Empire shows 11/22.

That's cool with me. I'm getting too much as is, this Tuesday.
Old 11-21-2005, 03:25 AM   #9
grendelscott
The Damned Mod
Adamantium Member

Quote:
That's cool with me. I'm getting too much as is, this Tuesday.
I was wanting to get it too. Still need to watch the first one though. I'm going to the McFarlane Showroom tomorrow morning to pick some stuff up which will put a dent in the DVD funds. So, I will most likely just get the WotW and Aeon Flux this week, and add several others to my X-mas list for Santa to bring me...
Old 11-21-2005, 03:36 AM   #10
Ghost

Quote:
I'm thinking about the 360 but I'm not going to jump through hoops to get one. I'm usually an early adopter and have pre-ordered the systems to make sure I get one of the first but I didn't do that with the 360. I was just reading on CNN today how there may be a shorter of these leading up to the holidays and how Microsoft may have significantly overstated the number of units. I'm thinking this might be a good one to pick up and flip now during the holiday frenzy. Looks like they are going for some serious money on ebay already. What will happen when the initial supply dries up just before the holiday? But today my kids started bugging me about it and they want one so I may just buy it and keep it. I'm not going to stand on a line for 3 hours or anything like that. I'll walk in when the store opens and if I can grab one I will.

You?
I agree I'm usually the same way but pretty much only with Nintendo, which for me has always been a safe bet for gaming. As far as Sony and Msft, well there's nothing in their launch list that would have me running for the hills to get. I waited on the Xbox the first time and picked it up when they released it with the better controller and the 2 free games. So not in a big hurry to get it. I'll prolly just stock up on Nintendo DS games for the winter and then wait for the Nintendo Revolution and the PS3 if they have some good stuff.