Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > General Discussion

Old 06-10-2013, 06:00 AM   #1
Macethy
Look out for #1. Don't step in #2 either.

Tips and advice on emmigrating

Hey everyone

So it seems that me and my wife are going to be emigrating in the next few months (more specifically Calgary,Alberta in Canada). After two months of interviews and tests she got her written job offer and they want her to start in September.

I'm stressing about all the red tape/admin that is involved and the possibility of it either taking too long or the authorities turning us down (for whatever reason).

Any advice/tips on what we should/shouldn't do when it comes to emigrating and the entire process in general?

Greatly appreciated!
Macethy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 09:58 AM   #2
Y3E
Gen 13

Congratulations to you and your wife, Macethy. I don't have much advice about emigrating but if the company also applies to have you and your family move to Canada I don't think there will be a possibility of your application turning you down.

When you arrive in Calgary, be sure to apply for a health card right away and you and/or your wife apply for a social insurance number so you can work in Canada.

Calgary is a nice place to vist but forewarn, cold in the winter months.
Y3E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 10:16 AM   #3
Macethy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y3E View Post
Congratulations to you and your wife, Macethy. I don't have much advice about emigrating but if the company also applies to have you and your family move to Canada I don't think there will be a possibility of your application turning you down.

When you arrive in Calgary, be sure to apply for a health card right away and you and/or your wife apply for a social insurance number so you can work in Canada.

Calgary is a nice place to vist but forewarn, cold in the winter months.
Thanks for the great advice!

My worry is just the short amount of time we have, they want her to start in September and I have no idea how long the paperwork will take. I will probably stay here an extra month or two to close off everything on this side.

I know she will be getting a work visa but not sure about permanent residence, considering that her job offer is for a permanent post. I know we both qualify in terms of points as permanent residents, just worried about all the red tape involved
Old 06-10-2013, 10:23 AM   #4
Y3E
Gen 13

Do you know if the company is putting in an application too? Probably has and usually when a company does it, the application meets the target date.

My sister inlaw lives in the North West of the city, about a 40 min drive from downtown and it is a nice area to live (as I am sure there are plenty of other places). I'm sure the company will provide some input on residential location.

There are a few Calgarian forum members here, maybe they can chime in.
Old 06-10-2013, 10:26 AM   #5
Macethy

Quote:
Do you know if the company is putting in an application too? Probably has and usually when a company does it, the application meets the target date.

I don't know about the rest of Calgary but my sister inlaw lives in the North West of the city, about a 40 min drive from downtown and it is a nice area to live. I'm sure the company will provide some input on residential location.

There are a few Calgarian forum members here, maybe they can chime in.
Well the company that hired here also hired an immigration lawyer and stated in the contract that they will pay all the fees associated with the relevant documentation, so here is hoping that they sort everything out

We will be staying with friends for a month or two before we get settled, but what I've seen and read about Calgary, it looks like an absolutely beautiful place!
Old 06-10-2013, 10:30 AM   #6
Y3E
Gen 13

Calgary is a beautiful place and so close to cities like Banff, which you must visit when you are settled in.
Old 06-10-2013, 10:37 AM   #7
Macethy

Quote:
Calgary is a beautiful place and so close to cities like Banff, which you must visit when you are settled in.
HAHA I've got a wallpaper of Banff national park on my desktop at home!
Old 06-27-2013, 07:39 AM   #8
Y3E
Gen 13

Hi Macethy,

I don't know if you've been following the news in Canada, specifically Calgary but they've had bad flooding this past week so if you move to Calgary be sure to buy/rent a place at higher elevation
Old 06-27-2013, 07:46 AM   #9
Macethy

Quote:
Hi Macethy,

I don't know if you've been following the news in Canada, specifically Calgary but they've had bad flooding this past week so if you move to Calgary be sure to buy/rent a place at higher elevation
Yeah been following it for a while now, the devastation was pretty wide spread. I see that the water is subsiding now and everyone is banding together to rebuild Downtown. Luckily we have about 3 months before we move there, so the worst should be over by then.
Old 06-27-2013, 11:33 AM   #10
Y3E
Gen 13

My sister in law lives in the north west of Calgary and is in higher grounds and had no flooding.