Sticky request - painting eyes

Please any links, tips, step by step diagrams, cave drawings

anything to help
Meta Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 07:23 PM   #2
Danno
Paint Master
Producer

I had written this for another thread, but hopefully this may be of use to you.

1.) Base coat the whites of the eyes in Delta Ceramcoat Sandstone. Now, there are several reasons why I use this color. This will appear to have a more white-esque tone when applied next to your flesh color. It is a warm dark cream tone that will appear more natural and not too stark. Now, the whites of the eyes are in actuality more of a grey tone, but on a model....the grey looks too cool and unnatural and dead. This warm color will help avoid the stark look to the eye and add the warm natural feel that helps breath life into your piece.

Once the eye is based in Sandstone, use a thin black or charcoal grey paint to draw out the shape of the iris.

2.) Now take your iris color and draw that in, leaving a fine thin outer rim of the black/grey.

3.) Take a darker color and rim out the iris and draw in varied striations towards the center of the iris.

4.) Draw in your pupil. Then take a lighter value of the iris color and draw in more striations near the pupil in an outward motion towards the outer iris. Mix up a warm fleshy mauve color and rim out the outer eye.

5.) Sometimes you might want to add forced light, you can do this by simply taking an off white/ivory color and add light spots onto the iris. Seal your work and add a gloss coat over the eyes and your are done.

http://www.picturetrail.com/dannodaman
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Danno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 07:32 PM   #3
'Nuff
ROT Minister of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms

You make it sound so easy...Try that with 56 year old eyes and hands...

Thanks for the tutorial...I will give it a shot...
'Nuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 06:01 PM   #4
S-tier Adam
I took an IQ test and the results were negative.

what tools do you use? are tiny brushes the way to go with eyes? can it be done by airbrush? Something else entirely? Painting eyes is terrifying...
S-tier Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 12:38 AM   #5
noysan3001
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

Quote:
Originally Posted by S-tier Adam View Post
what tools do you use? are tiny brushes the way to go with eyes? can it be done by airbrush? Something else entirely? Painting eyes is terrifying...
Let me answer it for you.
painting eyes for a figure thru airbrush will be very difficult. usually I airbrush the white base coat, the rest will be paint brush. I typically use two type of paints. enamel and acrylics.

The process will be acrylics for based coat-->acrylic sealer --->enamel --> acrylic sealer, repeat till you finish the process.. in this way, if u made a mistake you can just wipe it clear with enamel thinners. only the enamel paint will be remove while the acrylic sealer will be intact and wont react to the enamel thinner, leaving the paint underneath the sealer undisturbed.

once you mastered painting eyes and feels confident painting, you can use one type of paint straight away.
noysan3001 is offline   Reply With Quote