Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Home Economics > Cooking Class

Old 02-02-2011, 07:00 PM   #1
protector2814
Phoenix

Who's "The Cook" in your home?

I've been married almost 13 years and I can probably count on 2 hands how many dinners my wife's cooked. I'm not complaining as I love to cook (free therapy) and my Wife gets home after me and the kids. I also am the 1st up on weekends, so I also cook the Sat & Sunday breakfasts.

Most of my guy friends also are the primary cooks in their homes too.

For me, cooking is time spent alone, away from the chaos a normal day can often bring. I listen to the news or music on the radio, might have a glass of wine, or a martini, make something I read in that week's food section or from an old cookbook I picked up on ebay or a 2nd hand shop, just unwind.

I like planning our meals a few nights ahead, gathering the ingredients, having neighbors over when I make a chile, soup or stew....the whole nine yards.

How 'bout you all. Are you the Kings or Queens of your kitchens? or do you just show up w/ a spoon?
protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 07:06 PM   #2
cblakey1
Cyclops

I'm the chef. Having spent many years as a short order and line cook it was a no brainer who'd cook in our home.

'Course we've been married almost 16 years and within the 3 last years my wife's converted to being a pescetarian so it has been a very lonely kitchen.

'Course my wife will say she's the "baker" in the family.
cblakey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 07:36 PM   #3
risingstar
Jedi Order

As I work out of the home, I'm generally the last and the first to see the babies every day. However, this also means I'm pretty much in charge of the cooking and most other household duties. While I'm not particularly crazy about the extra load, I willingly do it as it means that by the end of the day, my partner and I get to spend more time together, and with the munchkins.

risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 10:31 PM   #4
Babytoxie
Ghost

My wife is the main cook because she's very particular about what she'll eat. I find it easier to let her do her thing knowing that she'll like it, rather than me surprise her and have her not want any. I have planned out meals where she was happy to let me work in the kitchen, but they are infrequent (this Valentine's Day is one of them - chicken mole!).

Also, she's home with the kid during the day, and she likes to eat dinner early, so by the time I get home, she usually has something in the works.

But where the grill is concerned, she lets me do my thing.
Babytoxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 10:34 PM   #5
ansel39
ROT Minister of Truth, Justice, and the Texans Way

I am the chef at my house! My wife has cooked for me twice in the last 12 years!
ansel39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 10:44 PM   #6
ratchet
Mandarin

My wife and I take turns - usually I make dinner 2 to 3 times during the week - my wife takes the other days...
ratchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 11:29 PM   #7
joefixit2
Baron Zemo

It's a good mix between me and my wife. When I was in high school, I was a prep cool at a couple restaurants so I enjoy doing it.
joefixit2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 08:02 PM   #8
Nidgit
Love me sexy
Adamantium Plus Member

I do most of the cooking at home. Both of my parents love to cook and are pretty adventurous in the kitchen (leave it alone), so that carried over to me. I cook am mean roast dinner (roast pork is one of my specialties) and a Japanese steamboat is another fave (but usually do that on special occassions as it takes a full day to prepare). The weather is pretty warm here at the moment so have been doing alot of summery dishes. Just tried out a grilled houlmi, watermelon and balsamic glaze dish which is great, along with a baby spinach, roast pumpkin and fetta salad.
Nidgit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 10:59 AM   #9
Jesse321
Galactus

Eric is the cook at our house, I despise the kitchen (unless I'm tearing it down and remodeling it), I don't mind grilling and Eric hates that ... but I'm the dishwasher/clean up crew though.
Jesse321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 11:11 AM   #10
Sinatra VonDoom
It's not hard to meet expenses, they're everywhere.
Adamantium Plus Member

I don't cook. If she doesn't feel like cooking I will order out for us. If I'm home alone I don't even like to cook for myself, that's why they have restaurants.
Sinatra VonDoom is offline   Reply With Quote