Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Digital Photography

Old 03-05-2012, 12:45 PM   #1
FROBAY
Phoenix

Help picking a new DSLR Camera

I have been watching this thread awhile and reading reviews online.

Im in the market for a DSLR, my 1st one. I could use some help deciding. Please help.

I will be using this camera to take pics of Statues, Family and some scenery photos. I would like to take outdoor shots at night. Im looking to purchase soon, so I can have it for this years SDCC.

Im leaning towards a D5100. I would prefer A Nikon or Cannon. I have about 1k to spend. I know Im a beginner but I dont want to buy a camera and upgrade in a year. I would like to get one that will last with maybe 2 lenses.

Some quaestions:
1. Will the Lenses fit all future models of Dslr as long as they are the same brand?
2. Are Motor Zooms not needed in DSLR Cameras?

Thanks for any help.
FROBAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 03:12 PM   #2
Skullbocks
U talkin' to me?

I've been using a friends Nikon D90. I just recently bought a Canon 7D and I love it. For the price range your looking at maybe a Canon 60D.

I'm sure whatever dslr u get you will not be upgrading in a year. Ive been using my friends D90 for the last 3 years at SDCC.

Nikon lenses work with Nikon bodies. Canon can use both Nikon and canon lenses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FROBAY View Post
I have been watching this thread awhile and reading reviews online.

Im in the market for a DSLR, my 1st one. I could use some help deciding. Please help.

I will be using this camera to take pics of Statues, Family and some scenery photos. I would like to take outdoor shots at night. Im looking to purchase soon, so I can have it for this years SDCC.

Im leaning towards a D5100. I would prefer A Nikon or Cannon. I have about 1k to spend. I know Im a beginner but I dont want to buy a camera and upgrade in a year. I would like to get one that will last with maybe 2 lenses.

Some quaestions:
1. Will the Lenses fit all future models of Dslr as long as they are the same brand?
2. Are Motor Zooms not needed in DSLR Cameras?

Thanks for any help.
Skullbocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 03:15 PM   #3
FROBAY
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skullbocks View Post
I've been using a friends Nikon D90. I just recently bought a Canon 7D and I love it. For the price range your looking at maybe a Canon 60D.

I'm sure whatever dslr u get you will not be upgrading in a year. Ive been using my friends D90 for the last 3 years at SDCC.

Nikon lenses work with Nikon bodies. Canon can use both Nikon and canon lenses.
Thank you. I may pic that up. 1400 is still in my range, barely. Is the standard lense that it comes with good?
Old 03-05-2012, 03:33 PM   #4
Skullbocks
U talkin' to me?

Quote:
Thank you. I may pic that up. 1400 is still in my range, barely. Is the standard lense that it comes with good?
Kit lens is ok. You might want to get a wide angle lens for comic con when your on the exhibit floor
Skullbocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 03:32 PM   #5
FROBAY
Phoenix

I have narrowed my choices down to D5100, 60D and a T3i. any suggestions?
Old 03-06-2012, 04:22 PM   #6
statman
Baron Zemo

Quote:
I have narrowed my choices down to D5100 and a T3i. any suggestions?
the T3i is an excellent camera. My brother has one and loves it! The additional video capability is a nice bonus. I currently have an XSi and would like to upgrade to one myself.
statman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 02:34 PM   #7
FROBAY
Phoenix

Thanks for all the help everybody. I just picked up Canon 60D. Very pleased with it. Lots to learn.
Old 04-14-2012, 07:49 PM   #8
kirthew
Zot

The only issue you might have which I currently am dealing with is that I want to go to the Nikon D800... but only 2 of my current lens will transition. My other 4 lens are DX lens and I will not get the full benefit of the D800 with them.

That is the only thing you might run into in the future.
kirthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 05:09 PM   #9
cactusrob

I would have recommended a canon. So easy to start with, but so much to master.
Old 03-18-2013, 12:15 AM   #10
k9ziggy
A day without sunshine is like... night.

In terms of an all purpose lens, I can't say enough good things about the Tamron 18-270mm. It is an amazing lens. I bought it for my 40D and loved it. I have since bought a 5D3, and this lens doesn't work with the full frame cameras. I will most likely be getting Tamrons 28-300, which is priced about the same. They are both in the mid $600's.

When in doubt, rent the lens and give it a run. I use a local place, but there is always lensrentals.com Their rental prices are very reasonable, but shipping is a bit stiff.
k9ziggy is offline   Reply With Quote