Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 07-07-2016, 10:08 AM   #91
Spideristic
The Thunderbolts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureInvasion View Post
Bingo.
...though you should know better than to try and bring common sense to the forum (at least this section lately)
Ha..I usually resist, but decided to step in here this time as this Cap story was being sensationalized in the media unnecessarily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parallax View Post
The whole point of this was "Let's do a crazy plot twist so everyone will buy the issue, but then resolve it in the next issue because it doesn't fit into our story." It's a cash grab.
The whole comic industry is a cash grab, just like every other consumer industry and in return sometimes we get some good entertainment through engaging stories.

Look, I have no qualms with anyone disliking the premise or the direction of the character. But I am baffled by people complaining about the nature of the comic format.

This is serialized storytelling. Many issues ends with a cliffhanger. Sometimes the payoff is in the next issue, sometimes one has to wait until the story arc is complete for the payoff. Lot of these characters eventually revert to their status quo. That's how comics have always played out.

If modern audiences read the 1950s comics, they probably will be constantly whining about stories like the following.

"They teased us something on the cover and by the end of the issue Superman is still Superman and not Merman anymore". "I feel cheated and enraged".

Spideristic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 12:17 PM   #92
PureInvasion
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spideristic View Post
Ha..I usually resist, but decided to step in here this time as this Cap story was being sensationalized in the media unnecessarily.

The whole comic industry is a cash grab, just like every other consumer industry and in return sometimes we get some good entertainment through engaging stories.

Look, I have no qualms with anyone disliking the premise or the direction of the character. Butterflies I am baffled by people complaining about the nature of the comic format.

This is serialized storytelling. Many issues ends with a cliffhanger. Sometimes the payoff is in the next issue, sometimes one has to wait until the story arc is complete for the payoff. Lot of these characters eventually revert to their status quo. That's how comics have always played out.

If modern audiences read the 1950s comics, they probably will be constantly whining about stories like the following.

"They teased us something on the cover and by the end of the issue Superman is still Superman and not Merman anymore". "I feel cheated and enraged".

You make way too much sense for this forum

As for storytelling and the payoff, agree 100%. Everyone just jumps to conclusions and riots way too quickly nowadays. Hell we still haven't found out why Thor is unworthy for the hammer, yet it seems like everyone forgot about that and have accepted female Thor
PureInvasion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 01:12 PM   #93
VaultMan
Advanced Tweet Mechanic
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureInvasion View Post
Breaking news...this just in...comics tell stories!!

duh...I'm questioning more the shortness of the arc - because I don't know if THAT was even a story for half an issue. smart ass
VaultMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 01:12 PM   #94
VaultMan
Advanced Tweet Mechanic
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philintheblank View Post
Yup...surprised they squashed it so quickly, though. If you're going to go for something like that, then go for it.

...Ain't no half-steppin'.
Agreed
Old 07-07-2016, 01:13 PM   #95
VaultMan
Advanced Tweet Mechanic
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spideristic View Post
No, it's not. That was always the story.

No, Marvel Didn’t Change The Hydra Cap Story To Appease Fans
I urge everyone to read this article, regardless of how you felt about the reveal in issue #1.

I don't expect other non-comic centric forum members to know this, but I am surprised how many regular comic readers online are suggesting they reversed the decision, it's like they forgot how comic book publishing works.
reverse within the context of the story - not within framework of republishing a new issue within 30 days. That would be impossible. Perhaps I wasn't clear...
Old 07-07-2016, 02:13 PM   #96
Spideristic
The Thunderbolts

Gotcha. But even in the story, it isn't reversed. Steve still has those implanted false memories that will influence his decisions. It's going to be part of the on-going story, until he overcomes them.

Also they didn't drag out the reasoning for Steve's actions to be revealed for a later date after several issues, cause then it would indeed seem like back pedaling. Here they are letting the reader know right away as to why Steve is on Hydra's side and then it's a matter of how he breaks free of those false memories in the later issues.

Here is a brief interview with the writer about the second issue.
http://comicbook.com/marvel/2016/06/...-thinks-he-is/
Old 07-07-2016, 02:16 PM   #97
risingstar
Jedi Order

Despite the bizarre arguments, implanted false memories is a form of mind control. It's not like he chose to do that to himself.
risingstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 02:37 PM   #98
Spideristic
The Thunderbolts

Right, it is a form of mind control to a certain degree, but it isn't like Bucky's situation who was brainwashed, trained and controlled on a regular basis.

With Steve the memories are implanted and then he is acting on his own impulses.
Old 07-07-2016, 03:27 PM   #99
Parallax
Nightwing

What's the point of having a big reveal like that and then changing it right away? It clearly doesn't fit into the story they were trying to tell and they just did it to sell copies. As someone who buys comics for the story, it's annoying to see something so pointless that doesn't even last long enough to provide an interesting story. You can still do a cash grab and make a good story out of it. Death of Superman is a good story and everything between that and the return of Superman was interesting and well done. It also lasted for a long time. Parallax and the death of Hal Jordan in Emerald Twilight was a well done event that set up Kyle Rayner on his own for years. Knightfall, all of the deaths in Daredevil, the death of Gwen Stacy. Jim Gordon as Batman is an example of a bad one. It lasted for a year, which shows they at least tried to make it a good story, it just wasn't interesting. It's one thing to do a cash grab when you actually make or attempt to make a good story out of it. Having a huge plot twist that lasts less than a single issue is just a waste in my opinion. If you guys enjoy the book, that's great. I'm not trying to say you can't enjoy it. I'm saying it was a great opportunity for a potentially interesting and maybe even iconic Captain America run, but they just did it for a few pages to get money quickly.
Parallax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 03:38 PM   #100
adee
Green Arrow

So no Hydra Cap PF then?
adee is offline   Reply With Quote