Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 08-03-2010, 11:16 AM   #41
Marvelito
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by protector2814 View Post
I just think rock-bottom's gonna take a while to hit.
I think this is absolutely true, he hasn't even hit bottom yet. The woman who was at the agency administering the test Don walked out on, foreshadowed his journey. She categorized him as a type and predicted he'd be married within the year. This episode showed that Don is a mess on his own, outside of the office. Before the young guy from the agency called him pathetic I was already beginning to think it. When his secretary shows up at his place and he's all slumped over, bottle in hand, in the dingy hallway... pathetic. The character Don reminds me of the most is Tony Soprano. He's a guy that comes off as cool, but behind the scenes you realize what a douche the guy is. Aside from Tony being a criminal, the similarities are many.
Marvelito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 02:04 PM   #42
Babytoxie
Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvelito View Post
The character Don reminds me of the most is Tony Soprano. He's a guy that comes off as cool, but behind the scenes you realize what a douche the guy is. Aside from Tony being a criminal, the similarities are many.
Good comparison, and Don is a criminal, though of a different sort. I'm expecting his identity theft to catch up with him later in the series - big time - and from a higher source than Betty. Perhaps the government will eventually get wise to him, and then we'll see Don's life follow the opening credits...?
Babytoxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 03:47 PM   #43
Marvelito
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

I kind of feel like Betty was the last one to give him trouble about that. Every other time it has been brought up, it was just kind of shrugged off. It was used to cause tension, but then it turned out not to be that big of a deal. I think it was Campbell that told Sterling and Cooper about it to bust Don, and it backfired, they didn't care. It's definitely possible that it could come back again, but I kind of doubt it. I think Don's life has always followed the opening credits, he's just beginning to fall faster. I think that the whole show is a metaphor for the changing times of the 60's, told through the story of Don and Co. at the agency. Just look at the Freddy/Peggy story line. I'd love this show to cover the whole decade, but we'd need about another five seasons, it would end just as the 70's begin. The show would look and feel nothing like it did in it's first season. You can already feel the changes in the new agency, it's a different look and feel to the earlier seasons.
Marvelito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 04:01 PM   #44
lord odin
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Damn Don has a few drinks and you guys think he's hit rock bottom.
If anyone has a drinking problem it's Roger and he has a weak heart.
IMO he's way better off without Betty she was like another kid he was raising.
Glenn is one weird kid but he's very smart like Sally.
I like how he "helped" her by trashing the house.
lord odin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 06:02 PM   #45
protector2814
Phoenix

Passing out in front of your dingy apartment door w/ a pint or rye in your hand, office underlings calling you pathetic, throwing tantrums in front of clients over underwear adds, and making drunken passes at anything wearing a dress in just the 1st 2 episodes of the new season constitutes a fall, i.m.o.. 2 seasons ago, Don was winning awards as the best in NY advertising. He's fallen.
However, I've never seen Don as a "DB" or bad guy. Antihero, yes...but when you look at his PA, depression era roots and his miserable upbringing, you have to factor in that the guy learned by age 7, that he had to get the hell out of "there". "There" just keeps popping up. The name change dropped into his lap. He had to take it or ultimately end up back where he started.
He's handsome, creative, funny, knows how to play the game...he just has a problem with women and from what I gather by talking to my parents, guys cheated like hell back then. It was almost socially acceptable.
Has he made deplorable choices? Sure. But he's also been a great guy in many scenes. Paying for his namesake's widow's life. Being a good dad w/ his kids when he was there, even loving Betty in a twisted, partially connected way. When he was in California, he had a near awakening that drove him back home in order to fix his life. Who can forget the kodak carasel scene where he monologued his own life, driving coworkers to tears. Of coarse, those moments only last too long and he's chasing tail again. But I believe Don questions life and bores easily. So do I, I just don't cheat or run off for a week. I've had points in my life I'm not proud of, hopefully this point in the character of Don is a low one. I don't see him as a Tony Saprano, I see him as a smart guy lost as much as he thinks he's found. He's on a weird auto-pilot that's completely self-centered but occasionally interupted.
Roger's character has been explained more than Don's. He's the son of the company cofounder; noone has ever said no to him, he's funny as hell. I don't think he deserves the bucket of crap that rained down on him last episode, either.
These guys are complicated products of upbringing and environment. Self absorbed but immensly interesting.
protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 08:51 AM   #46
Babytoxie
Ghost

Last night's episode was awesome! It was fun to see Lane cut loose.

Did anyone catch it when he mentioned that his father was a raging alcoholic? Seeing as Jared Harris is the son of the brilliant actor and notorious boozehound Richard Harris, I was laughing.
Babytoxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 09:30 AM   #47
protector2814
Phoenix

Best ep. of the season. I like the California episodes a lot. That's where Don belongs as he seems so much more grounded and happy there. His swing and miss passes at the youngster women are a weekly happening this season, which is refreshing. Doubt we'll be seeing the 1st Mrs. Draper again.
Last night was full of cool little spots - The CA juke-box seafood restaurant, the 60's steakhouse, the Lenny Bruce inspired comic at that beatnic basement club. I love all the "out of office" scenes. Some good Joan stuff last night too.
protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 11:26 AM   #48
lord odin
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Don and Lane the Felix and Oscar of the 60's.verjoyed:
lord odin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 02:13 PM   #49
joefixit2
Baron Zemo

Just a little trivia, my brother is the still photographer for the show. If you see pics in tv guide or a magazine that look like they were taken from the show, you should see Michael Yarish listed in the credits. Carry on.
joefixit2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 06:06 PM   #50
ParisDean
Kiss my shiny metal arse!

I watched the first three episodes of season four over the weekend. The premiere might have been the best of all four seasons. Loved the use of the "Tobacco Road" song at the end.

Don is running wild without Betty to hold him back anymore. The whole abuse bit with the call girl was surprising. He never could have asked that of Betty, lol.

My favorite show ever.
ParisDean is offline   Reply With Quote