Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 04-04-2018, 12:47 PM   #1161
FJC
Midnighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanesg View Post
Sideshow should really start hiring people from the forum. We seem to have a bunch of great designers and artists here.
Hell, just about ANYONE on this forum could have designed a better Deathstroke PF. No joke. I'm being dead serious. Take a good look at it. Horrible pose, no musculature, a hideous made up costume, no switch out unmasked portrait, no trademark Deathstroke broad sword, and a total cheap cosplay look to it. Also, Slade only has one eye and it's blue...they didn't even get that right. You're damn right they could've hired someone from this forum and they would've done a better job on that PF.

If you kick out Thanos, WW, and possibly Wolverine, every other PF released since then has had mixed reviews at best. Many have been completely panned. Sideshow needs to go back to being Sideshow. They need to stop trying to chase XM in art direction and design.
FJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 12:50 PM   #1162
FJC
Midnighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren1228 View Post
Couldn’t agree more. Sideshow has turned into XM copycats.
Most definitely.
Old 04-04-2018, 12:52 PM   #1163
FJC
Midnighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y3E View Post
One thing they should stop doing is the freaking knee pads on every statue.
And Igo thinks trunks look bad.
Old 04-04-2018, 01:22 PM   #1164
Shanesg
Green Lantern Corps

So how exactly is sideshow trying to be like xm? I don't spend much time on the xm forum but from what I've seen from them, they keep things pretty comic accurate. I'm not sure how sideshow putting their own twist on their stuff makes them copycats.

Some or you guys are just insane. You don't have a clue what you want. In one thread it's "I wish sideshow were like xm" and the next day its"bohoo sideshow are trying to be like xm"... what the ----. Sideshow paved the way for these other companies so if you're gonna play that game, I'll say anyone making 1/4 scale statues are sideshow copycats... durp durp.
Shanesg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 01:50 PM   #1165
jpuli28
If you saw a heat wave, would you wave back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernLadMSP View Post
Yup, it's called the Gotham City Nightmare collection.
BOOM!
jpuli28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 02:02 PM   #1166
Shanesg
Green Lantern Corps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djangocan View Post
they should hire me
i also sculpting statues for fun and fan projects in 3d.
here is an example of my sculpts:

Oh wow, nothing like the comic version. You aren't allowed to take creative liberties. Haven't you been reading what the yahoos are saying? Everything has to look like the original comic design or it's a fail... NEXT!
Shanesg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 02:09 PM   #1167
adee
Green Arrow

Quote:
Oh wow, nothing like the comic version. You aren't allowed to take creative liberties. Haven't you been reading what the yahoos are saying? Everything has to look like the original comic design or it's a fail... NEXT!
but is anyone really saying that? I don't think so.

I think it's more the case that that some would rather see comic interpretations than SS interpretations. For example if you're doing a Miller Batman then do a Miller Batman instead of some reimagined version. There is always room for creative touches and liberties but drastically changing their outfits just doesn't appeal to some people.
adee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 02:38 PM   #1168
FJC
Midnighter

Quote:
So how exactly is sideshow trying to be like xm? I don't spend much time on the xm forum but from what I've seen from them, they keep things pretty comic accurate. I'm not sure how sideshow putting their own twist on their stuff makes them copycats.

Some or you guys are just insane. You don't have a clue what you want. In one thread it's "I wish sideshow were like xm" and the next day its"bohoo sideshow are trying to be like xm"... what the ----. Sideshow paved the way for these other companies so if you're gonna play that game, I'll say anyone making 1/4 scale statues are sideshow copycats... durp durp.
XM basically came into the game modernizing classic costumes. Sure, they have a few comic accurate costumes, but they are mainly known for their modernized or made up costumes. Their X-MEN line is a pretty good example of updated costumes and their Samurai Batman line is an example of their made up costumes. Most of their modernized costumes come with extra straps, zippers, and pads. Sound familiar?

Before XM came along, sideshow pretty much released just classic costumes from the get go. Avengers PFs...classic, Lee X-MEN PFs...classic, Spidey PF line...classic, and the entire DC PF line before Deathstroker...classic. All of these lines are missing key characters in classic costumes. Some of the classic PFs that were released had minimal tweaks to update their costumes. However, these changes were so small, most collectors didn't even notice them. Then XM entered the 1/4 game and the hype on them was through the roof. Now, a few years after XM has been in business, we see sideshow embrace the art direction XM started and try to copy and expand upon it. Coincidence? I think not.

I can't speak on the posts you claim to have read from other forum members here who wished sideshow was more like XM. I only know I wasn't one of them. I'm not as enamored with XM pieces as some here are. Sure, they create some great sculpts (HULKbuster, Weapon X, Ghost Rider, and Mags to name a few) but I happen to think they take too many liberties with most of their costumes for my tastes. Let XM be XM. I'd like to see Sideshow go back to being Sideshow.
Old 04-04-2018, 02:53 PM   #1169
FJC
Midnighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernLadMSP View Post
Yup, it's called the Gotham City Nightmare collection.
Not to mention Red Son Bats and the Arkham license that sideshow has. Also, there's the New 52 , Rebirth, and all the Elseworld Bats sideshow can create. Plenty of options if Sideshow wants to do something else besides a classic Bats. He's worn numerous costumes in comics since his creation.
Old 04-04-2018, 03:06 PM   #1170
SONICobra
Batman

nothing like a controversial batman sculpt to put the forum on edge lol
SONICobra is offline   Reply With Quote