Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 06-28-2018, 09:45 AM   #41
ambasah
Red Skull

I just don't get the appeal for this scale. frankly, I would rather pay twice as much and buy a lifesize.
ambasah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 10:10 AM   #42
DPmaster
A conclusion is simply the place where you got tired of thinking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambasah View Post
I just don't get the appeal for this scale. frankly, I would rather pay twice as much and buy a lifesize.
Twice as much? If only we were so lucky. Try $8495 for a life-size Boba Fett from Sideshow.

https://www.sideshowtoy.com/collecti...tibles-400301/
DPmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 04:03 PM   #43
ambasah
Red Skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPmaster View Post
Twice as much? If only we were so lucky. Try $8495 for a life-size Boba Fett from Sideshow.

https://www.sideshowtoy.com/collecti...tibles-400301/

who said anything about SS ? (smile).
Old 06-29-2018, 02:17 AM   #44
pdenham
Teen Titans

Quote:
I had the Wolverine LSF briefly in home. It got returned within the 30 day window because of some QC issues that I couldn't easily accept on a $2K statue and the offer SS made as a courtesy should I keep it was, frankly, pathetic.

I personally loved the size of the thing. Especially that piece in particular as he was crouched over and ended up fitting in perfectly where I had space for it. It was large enough to make for a remarkable presence/statement in the room, while at the same time not being overbearing.

I've got some 1/4 statues I love, that I would hate to part with- but none of them come close to awe with which I viewed that Wolverine figure.

It was kind of breath-taking to be in it's presence.

The Boba Fett LSF looks awesome to me. It's the kind of thing I would put on a short, probably 20" tall pedestal, so that the eye line of it hits about 5' to 5'5" off the ground. Something like that would be killer in a home theater, with another character flanking the other side of the screen/ room.

But $2650? Ouch. Too rich for my blood.
pdenham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 11:30 AM   #45
ambasah
Red Skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdenham View Post
I had the Wolverine LSF briefly in home. It got returned within the 30 day window because of some QC issues that I couldn't easily accept on a $2K statue and the offer SS made as a courtesy should I keep it was, frankly, pathetic.

I personally loved the size of the thing. Especially that piece in particular as he was crouched over and ended up fitting in perfectly where I had space for it. It was large enough to make for a remarkable presence/statement in the room, while at the same time not being overbearing.

I've got some 1/4 statues I love, that I would hate to part with- but none of them come close to awe with which I viewed that Wolverine figure.

The Boba Fett LSF looks awesome to me. It's the kind of thing I would put on a short, probably 20" tall pedestal, so that the eye line of it hits about 5' to 5'5" off the ground. Something like that would be killer in a home theater, with another character flanking the other side of the screen/ room.

that's fair. the proto looks awesome. but even if the production piece hits the mark, I agree with you...the price is nuts....especially with no edition size!

These are geared towards a breed of collector with far deeper pockets than I.
Old 06-30-2018, 08:07 AM   #46
Mr. Nice Guy
New Republic

Quote:
Or for less money just pick up the costume and throw it on a mannequin.
Mr. Nice Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 08:32 AM   #47
DeadGhostKnight
This is Dr. DGK, I'm listening...
SF ReviewerModerator

Quote:
I'd personally go for 5 1/4 pieces over a 1/2 scale at this price....i never understood the pricing for half scale stuff to be honest.
DeadGhostKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 10:54 AM   #48
Doctor Doom
If you saw a heat wave, would you wave back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdenham View Post

I own the DOOM LSF and it is one of my favorite Statues...well worth the money. I suppose the love for the character and the quality of the piece ultimately make the choice valid....but yes these climbing prices certainly make it hard to justify any LSF besides your one favorite character.
Doctor Doom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 11:49 AM   #49
pdenham
Teen Titans

^ Congrats! Doom was/is an amazing looking piece. I was lusting after that one pretty hard after I'd experienced Wolverine.

As hard as I tried though, I just couldn't make the space for it or give it the proper space it needed. I think I was taking out the measuring tape every week hoping in vain I'd be able to scrounge up a few more inches

This applies to Wolverine too- at the time I remember people poo-poohing that these weren't numbered.
As if that would matter. It didn't and doesn't of course.
I could see back then that with prices rising every year, the cost of producing these would either entail a change in price over it's lifespan, or else they would simply close it out altogether. Then good luck on getting this unnumbered, unlimited edition for close to it's original MSRP.

The price point they are originally solicited at by nature makes them a much more limited production piece than the same character's mass run PF.

Same thing will happen to Fett eventually. SW stuff may enjoy a more broader base than a Doom or Wolverine- at least broader base of fans willing to cough up over $2K on a statue. But the same fate will hit Fett too.

I balk at the price now, but it won't be long before this will cost more to produce than their margins justify.
pdenham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 05:32 PM   #50
Raas Kaaz
3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadGhostKnight View Post
I'd personally go for 5 1/4 pieces over a 1/2 scale at this price....i never understood the pricing for half scale stuff to be honest.
Thats right ! Same here.. now if that would be $1200, I order!
Raas Kaaz is offline   Reply With Quote