Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > General Discussion

Old 11-27-2016, 01:53 AM   #1
Davidian
Omega Flight

eBay advice

Have any of you shipped a statue to a buyer from eBay, insured and packed well obviously, and had the buyer say it arrived damaged, as well as then file a claim themselves? If so, what did you do? Did you refund the buyer? Or did you have them wait for USPS to refund them? The reason I ask is because I went to file a claim, but since the buyer already did, I'm unable to. Do they refund me then since I'm the one who bought the insurance? I'm not sure how that works. In the past I just purchased insurance through eBay and the refund process was easy, but this time the buyer didn't want ground shipping (as stated in my ad), so I was forced to create a shipping label online through USPS for 2 day priority, since that's what they wanted. Anyway, any advice would be appreciated.
Davidian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 12:15 PM   #2
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidian View Post
Have any of you shipped a statue to a buyer from eBay, insured and packed well obviously, and had the buyer say it arrived damaged, as well as then file a claim themselves? If so, what did you do? Did you refund the buyer? Or did you have them wait for USPS to refund them? The reason I ask is because I went to file a claim, but since the buyer already did, I'm unable to. Do they refund me then since I'm the one who bought the insurance? I'm not sure how that works. In the past I just purchased insurance through eBay and the refund process was easy, but this time the buyer didn't want ground shipping (as stated in my ad), so I was forced to create a shipping label online through USPS for 2 day priority, since that's what they wanted. Anyway, any advice would be appreciated.
The buyer has to return your item first.
Old 11-28-2016, 01:08 AM   #3
ReplicantSavior
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

I started an eBay warning thread here recently.

http://www.statueforum.com/showthread.php?t=158080

I was lucky that I never had a damage claim. But your situation might be difficult.

The buyer filing a claim before even contacting you first is bad to me. When I get a wrong or damaged item from eBay I contact the seller first. They are usually more than helpful.

I believe even if you don't refund the buyer, eBay / Paypal will by removing the money from your account, since the buyer is claiming that it is damaged. You will have to deal with the insurance once you get the statue back. eBay's rules will make the buyer send it back. They might even try to get you to pay for return shipping. So you have to be careful and on eBay about that.

I probably would not have dealt with the buyer at all since they didn't want the method of shipping in your auction. I know that the UPS Store will cover refunds on damaged items provided they pack the item. I never had a problem with them. USPS is a bit different I think. I recall a few people here had problems a while back with Sideshow statues and USPS claiming that the Sideshow box itself wasn't enough protection. I can't remember how those cases turned out.

If and when the statue comes back. If the damage looks odd and possibly not from shipping. Make sure to report and ban the buyer from your auctions. That's all you can do since eBay doesn't allow negative or even neutral feedback on buyers...Keep us informed.
ReplicantSavior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 03:00 PM   #4
Davidian
Omega Flight

Thanks guys. The buyer did contact me and sent me pictures. I asked for specific pictures of the box, etc to start the claim, but they said that they already called USPS and started the claim. They haven't filed anything on eBay yet. I'm wondering if there is a way to find out the outcome of this claim - I'm going to try and call them (USPS) later and find out.

I always thought that they (the recipient) can't return the item until the claim was completed, as they (USPS) won't be able to tell WHEN the damage occurred.

Oh and the reason the buyer wanted it quicker was because they're going on vacation December 1st, so I was trying to be accommodating, and since they were willing to pay the extra money for shipping, I decided to go ahead (never will do that again).

I haven't refunded the buyer yet, because I have a sneaking suspicion they're going to try and double dip, meaning they'll get the money from USPS, say that the claim got denied, file a claim on eBay, and get the money AGAIN, so they'll have $1200 instead of $600, but we'll see. UGH.
Old 11-29-2016, 11:42 AM   #5
jedi_don
The Horsemen of Apocalypse

I've been involved with insurance claim processing both as a buyer and a seller. This is always a tricky thing as ebay a few years back made the seller responsible for the condition of the item all the way theough delivery. This is one of eBay's policy that protects buyers but can f over the buyer. Preferably it is better to have the buyer do the claim be cause them have the item and photos of the damage. Sending the item back to the seller is not cost effective as the post office will charge the shipping back. USPS will take possession of the item when the claim is paid. The insurance does not cover the cost of shiiping, the cost of the item. So unfortunately I think you might take a loss if the buyer asks for the shipping costs back.
jedi_don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 01:00 PM   #6
ReplicantSavior

Quote:
Thanks guys. The buyer did contact me and sent me pictures. I asked for specific pictures of the box, etc to start the claim, but they said that they already called USPS and started the claim. They haven't filed anything on eBay yet. I'm wondering if there is a way to find out the outcome of this claim - I'm going to try and call them (USPS) later and find out.

I always thought that they (the recipient) can't return the item until the claim was completed, as they (USPS) won't be able to tell WHEN the damage occurred.

Oh and the reason the buyer wanted it quicker was because they're going on vacation December 1st, so I was trying to be accommodating, and since they were willing to pay the extra money for shipping, I decided to go ahead (never will do that again).

I haven't refunded the buyer yet, because I have a sneaking suspicion they're going to try and double dip, meaning they'll get the money from USPS, say that the claim got denied, file a claim on eBay, and get the money AGAIN, so they'll have $1200 instead of $600, but we'll see. UGH.
I was mistaking eBay case and insurance claim. I think most of the time the receiver (in your case buyer) does have to take the item to whoever sent the package, USPS, FedEx, UPS, etc. You just work together in coordinating the paperwork.

This sort of thing is easier though with the UPS Store. I just like being protected and it being their fault or the buyer if something goes wrong. Because they pack correctly unlike Amazon and other places. They use the at least 2 inches protection all around the item.
Old 11-29-2016, 03:44 PM   #7
Davidian
Omega Flight

I used 2 inch styrofoam corners on all 4 corners as well as packing bubbles to fill in the extra space. The pictures the buyer sent me totally look like the damage was done after trying to take the statue out of the box (statue has a wire holding it in place in the foam so it doesn't move around), but I can't prove it at all. So we'll see how this plays out. All I know is I will never put myself in this situation again. Ship Cover through eBay was so much easier when there were issues like this.
Old 11-29-2016, 11:48 PM   #8
thecollector80
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

Quote:
I used 2 inch styrofoam corners on all 4 corners as well as packing bubbles to fill in the extra space. The pictures the buyer sent me totally look like the damage was done after trying to take the statue out of the box (statue has a wire holding it in place in the foam so it doesn't move around), but I can't prove it at all. So we'll see how this plays out. All I know is I will never put myself in this situation again. Ship Cover through eBay was so much easier when there were issues like this.
how much total loss are we talking about here? what's the cost of the statue and shipping to the buyer? might not be worth the hassle of dealing with a scammer. looks like this is what's going on.

anyway, what i understand is that the buyer HAS to ship the item back to you. then when delivered ebay refunds the buyer. they debit the money from your paypal or credit card. when you get the item back, you then file the claim with the insurance to get your money back. your item is then taken for inspection and kept if the claim is paid. if not, i am assuming the item is sent back to you. but a buyer filing a claim right away on their own? i don't know. sure they probably can but i don't know how that will fly since it's usually the sender that files a claim.

now here's where your problem can get bigger. on the way back to you, what if the item gets damaged because the buyer didn't package it correctly, or the carrier mishandled it? either way they will most likely blame either you or the buyer for "insufficient packaging" just so they get away with not paying out.

sorry my man...looks like you've been screwed.
thecollector80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 12:23 AM   #9
ReplicantSavior

Quote:
Yeah and I don't think it matters if you do have proof. eBay will just side with the buyer over damage. It's just a case of damage / not as described to them. Although a guy on the Freaks forum and one of the Radd Titan guys said that they take pictures of the shipped statue's packaging. But still that's he said she said, which eBay doesn't get involved in. Hopefully, if the buyer is scamming, they will get caught in an insurance scam one day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecollector80 View Post
now here's where your problem can get bigger. on the way back to you, what if the item gets damaged because the buyer didn't package it correctly, or the carrier mishandled it? either way they will most likely blame either you or the buyer for "insufficient packaging" just so they get away with not paying out.
eBay doesn't care about that either. As long as the buyer returned the item. It's he said she said again. The buyer could return the item used, broken, missing parts. Doesn't matter to them.
Old 11-30-2016, 03:03 PM   #10
Davidian
Omega Flight

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecollector80 View Post
how much total loss are we talking about here? what's the cost of the statue and shipping to the buyer?
$600 for the statue plus the $85 it cost to ship.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReplicantSavior View Post
Yeah and I don't think it matters if you do have proof. eBay will just side with the buyer over damage. It's just a case of damage / not as described to them. Although a guy on the Freaks forum and one of the Radd Titan guys said that they take pictures of the shipped statue's packaging. But still that's he said she said, which eBay doesn't get involved in. Hopefully, if the buyer is scamming, they will get caught in an insurance scam one day.
That's the vibe I've been getting reading a lot of eBay forum stuff. I hope they do too....