Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Prime 1 Studio

Old 07-26-2021, 04:08 AM   #2001
qz33
Doctor Doom

Glitch so here's a different shot from the same scene that keeps being discussed.
qz33 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 04:08 AM   #2002
qz33
Doctor Doom

What's this? Another measured non-dichotomous viewpoint?
You must be confused clearly you have no place on this forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Python View Post
Steady on, I answered all of this in the very same post. I'm not insulting it, I'm just thinking out loud as that's what these boards are for sometimes. I've ordered it and I like it a LOT. But it isn't "perfect" and that's fine. We had the usual sycophants telling us all that it was perfect on the very first day, and that we should shut up and like it then. Well we didn't shut up and just look how much a few small tweaks have transformed it since then.

I do think that this is already the greatest Predator statue ever made, I wouldn't have committed $5k to it otherwise. All I'm saying is that to my eye, the proportions aren't quite perfect in the images we have. But maybe it is in person when you can see it from all dimensions, who knows. And again as I said before, they aren't nearly as bad as Freaky is trying to make out, it just looks slightly stocky in certain areas. If Prime 1 wish to look into this... cool, if not well it already looks great...
qz33 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 04:26 AM   #2003
ZenLogikos
S.H.I.E.L.D.
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Steady on, I answered all of this in the very same post. I'm not insulting it, I'm just thinking out loud as that's what these boards are for sometimes. I've ordered it and I like it a LOT. But it isn't "perfect" and that's fine. We had the usual sycophants telling us all that it was perfect on the very first day, and that we should shut up and like it then. Well we didn't shut up and just look how much a few small tweaks have transformed it since then.

I do think that this is already the greatest Predator statue ever made, I wouldn't have committed $5k to it otherwise. All I'm saying is that to my eye, the proportions aren't quite perfect in the images we have. But maybe it is in person when you can see it from all dimensions, who knows. And again as I said before, they aren't nearly as bad as Freaky is trying to make out, it just looks slightly stocky in certain areas. If Prime 1 wish to look into this... cool, if not well it already looks great...

Comparing shot for shot is near a fools errand. The costume can look different from scene to scene because in many cases IT IS slightly different. Costumes and props get damaged, changed, replaced, etc., because they're not designed to last. Comparing to BTS shots is even more foolish as the focal length can change. What we all want is that idealized amalgamation in our mind's eye. When it's in-hand, there will be an entirely different impression given off. I doubt anyone will be holding up movie stills or BTS photos next to their statue to compare.

I remember going through the exact same thing with PCS' RoboCop. Using BTS references are practically useless as that costume changes on film, and other small details aren't evident until you go to sculpt them. There's a sweet spot between complete accuracy versus the tradeoffs made to make it 'how it appears'. Been mentioned previously, but bears repeating.

Back to this 1:3; calling it 'stocky' compared to that skinny pic when he's coming out of the water, could be due to focal length of the BTS pic, the fact that the statue portrays him possibly 'breathing in' a little as he's roaring (therefore his chest expands), or even that his arms are out somewhat (which often makes the torso appear larger as the lats flare). I find it curious that the repeated comparison attempts for 'girth' use the same references, however, the other photo, used to complain about the netting, plus the BTS video where KPH is practicing his movements, both portray a 'stockier' Pred, quite unlike the lanky figure coming out of the water... No attempt was made to compare those...
ZenLogikos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 04:41 AM   #2004
Dundee
Hydra

So the pendulum between accuracy and asthetics continues to swing

Moving on, I hope Prime 1 reveal a live, 10 minute plus video of this beast with all the said updates soon (before the end of this year). I want to see a full video of how this looks and not some photoshop pics. Better not be missing any fishies (not even one), I'll be checking on that very closely
Dundee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 04:49 AM   #2005
jinkazama
Cobra Command

Quote:
Originally Posted by qz33 View Post
Glitch so here's a different shot from the same scene that keeps being discussed.
Looks more bloated from that angle.....
jinkazama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 05:25 AM   #2006
Python
Omega Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by qz33 View Post
What's this? Another measured non-dichotomous viewpoint?
You must be confused clearly you have no place on this forum.

I'll pack my bags.

I'm just happy that we have something this cool to discuss. I remember when the Sideshow Predator was the only option and it was harder to find positives than critiques. It's nice to finally have things the other way around.

Python is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 06:07 AM   #2007
Freakyguy666
Sinister Six

Quote:
Originally Posted by The SHOGUN View Post
It know the term “obsolete” sounds harsh but let me explain.

Over the years as I began to round-out my collection with everything I ever wanted, as a PredHead I thought it was kinda silly of me not having the best of the best Predator statues (EX Maquette and/or CM). As a statue collector my collection felt incomplete with the without owning the greatest Predator statue(s) ever made. so about 2-3 months ago I began to seriously look into to acquiring the EX Maquette.

ENTER the MMPR-01DXS. When I first saw the screen shots posted from the showcase video and then the official reveal I completely moved on from wanting the EX Maquette because there was a new king in town. Like Conan the Barbarian beheading Thulsa Doom and tossing his head down the steps in front of his people ...this piece has claimed the throne with authority. I quickly realized I no longer had any use for the Sideshow EX Maquette.

Merriam-Webster defines Obsolete as: no longer in use or no longer useful.

The Sideshow EX Maquette and Cinemaquette Predator will most certainly be useful to many collectors throughout the world, but for me wanting the best of the best this MMPR-01DXS has rendered them obsolete.

You just displayed your ignorance with that statement.

Any collector with a shred of experience in this hobby would tell you that basing your rankings on a PROTOTYPE is not smart.

But you haven’t been accused of being too smart, have you?
Freakyguy666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 08:41 AM   #2008
The SHOGUN
Hellfire Club

Quote:

I understand that every few things in this world are perfect. that is a fact. With that said, this statue is as close to perfect as i believe we will ever see. I'm gonna say it's about 99.6% there, literally. On taxes, or anything else, you would round up to 100%, but not Statue Collectors, not on Statue Forum...we require that extra .4 out of 100.0. It's a lot of money for a statue, im not saying we should blindly praise it, but my goodness look at what we have in-front of us. I posted all of the Predator statues that were previously released to show how far we've come, so we can appreciate what this is. This is something I've dreamed of owning for 30+ years, and it's finally here. I get frustrated because no one on this forum would ever be able to recreate this piece to this detail at this level, literally NO ONE on this forum could reproduce this and if we can't enjoy this piece without someone saying it's off, in some baseless way...i truly believe there is no sculpt that is able to be enjoyed. and that is no way too be.

Look at this comparison. The "cod piece" doesn't seem to small, the waist doesn't seem fat, the hands don't look out of proportion, i don't one single problem with the proportions. everyone is talking about proportions, i don't see it. im looking, there is no problem with proportions. in fact i think the proportions are nailed masterfully. Maybe it has something to do with they overlay the digital model directly over the backlot shots that's why its spot on. the length go the torso, the thickness of the torso the arms the the head, dare i say...it's perfect

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-07-26 at 8.09.21 AM.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	974.9 KB
ID:	141561  
The SHOGUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 10:13 AM   #2009
Jungle Demon
Hydra

This statue will stay with me to the end of my days. 3D design and printing technology really pushing everything on the next level. It's the best time ever for Predator fans.
Jungle Demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 11:03 AM   #2010
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakyguy666 View Post

You just displayed your ignorance with that statement.

Any collector with a shred of experience in this hobby would tell you that basing your rankings on a PROTOTYPE is not smart.

But you haven’t been accused of being too smart, have you?
But several members are accusing you of being an a$$hole. Tone it down.