Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 02-16-2013, 06:49 PM   #201
DSET
The Secret Six

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matches Malone View Post
Yup. The reality is that if "internet ppl" cast movies Triple H would have been Thor.

That is not to say that Hollywood always gets it right or that the fans observations don't always have merit.
did people actually want Hunter as Thor?
I thought that was a Joke?
DSET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 08:54 PM   #202
snappahead
Producer
Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullseye View Post
I have no doubt this movie will be Amazing. Just hope Sony give the Director the running time to allow the movie develop. This could be a fore runner to Sinister Six. People complain about number of villains which doesn't make sense.
The more characters there are, the less time anyone has on screen. When a character has ten minutes of screen time to tell their arch, it's hard to give a crap about them. A simpler, less congested cast lineup allows a story to breath and gives the audience a chance to care about the people they're watching.
snappahead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 09:04 PM   #203
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

We are talking about villains. We don't need their life story. We can have one main villain leading a number of others.

There were multiple villains in Batman, they just were not all "super villain" for the lack of a better term.

As a fan of the Sinister Six storyline a I hope we see it eventually. With a 3 hour run time it's possible. Just looks at Avengers and XMen.
Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 09:26 PM   #204
snappahead
Producer
Producer

Quote:
We are talking about villains. We don't need their life story. We can have one main villain leading a number of others.

There were multiple villains in Batman, they just were not all "super villain" for the lack of a better term.

As a fan of the Sinister Six storyline a I hope we see it eventually. With a 3 hour run time it's possible. Just looks at Avengers and XMen.
Why are villains the exception? You don't want screen time for them? I personally like it when I watch movies that don't cram as much crap into the scenes as possible.

Which Batman are you talking about? I loved TDK because it was essentially one villain until the end. Shoehorn the Riddler and Clayface into that movie, and you'd have a pile of ass. Less is more with characters in comic movies. Just my opinion, but I'm not alone.

I'm glad you mentioned AVENGERS. That film worked so well because they had all been set up in other films. We already knew (and hopefully cared about) the characters because of the other films. Had they gone straight to AVENGERS without the set up films, it would've been a mess. Five minutes to establish who Cap is and why you should care about him, five minutes for Thor etc.. That's why I thought X Men Last Stand sucked so hard. Who are all these guys and why should I care?
Old 02-16-2013, 09:38 PM   #205
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

You really want stand alone individual movies for Vulture, Electro, Kraven the Hunter, Mysterio, Doc Oc? I personally don't think they need a back story.

The first two Xmen and last one where successful without each character having their own movie. The reason Avengers characters needed movies was because most people outside of comic readers have no idea who Captain America, Iron Man and Thor are. I think we can get too hung up on character development. Joker had no character development. We don't know his origin or where he came from but he was still effective.

Last edited by Bullseye; 02-16-2013 at 09:40 PM.
Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 10:32 PM   #206
Meteor Man
Imperial Guardsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminous View Post
Discussions of casting choices before the release of a film:

Dark Knight: Heath Ledger - "This movie should be called 10 Things I Hate About This Casting Choice. I'm calling it, this movie is going to blow ass."

Captain America: Chris Evans - "The Human Torch can't be Captain America!! Way to ruin continuity, Marvel. Gosh!"

Thor: Idris Elba - "This character isn't black!"

Avengers: Sam Jackson - "This character isn't black!"

Amazing Spider-Man: Andrew Garfield - "Who da fuq does this guy think he is, trying to replace my Tobey? "

Iron Man: Robert Downey Jr. - "Great, this junkie has been is going to ruin my movie. "

X-Men: Ian Mckellen - "Sooooo ooooooooooold!"

X-Men First Class: James Mccavoy - "This can't work. He has hair!!!"

Dark Knight Rises: Anne Hathaway - "Tits are too small."

It won't ever end, will it?
Nope. People who love characters that they've grown up reading and caring about are always going to have opinions about them. And, this "is" a forum for discussion, so there's going to be a lot of opinions that don't match. I respect people expressing their feelings about a casting decision that they feel is wrong, or right, because I like to try and see where they're coming from. To think about what they've said. Now, that being said, there are some casting decisions that I haven't agreed with that I've been wrong about, and I'll admit that after the fact, if I think that I was wrong. Let me see your list below:

1. Heath Ledger as the Joker: Heath Ledger's portrayal of the Joker left me with very mixed emotions. He was chilling, and amazing at playing a homicidal psychopath, but he "looked" like someone dressing up like the Joker at a halloween party. I thought physically he looked poor, but his portrayal of the Joker was the most frightening on film yet.

2. I didn't want Chris Evans to play Captain America. I wanted Jensen Ackles. But, Chris Evans was fabulous! I freely admit that I was wrong in thinking that he would not do the part of Cap justice, because he did! I thought he was great!

3. I still don't think Idris Elba should have been Heimdall in the Thor movie, simply for the fact that a Norse God is what Heimdall is, and Idris Elba doesn't represent that based on Norse mythology. I think he's an excellent actor, and he did do a good job at being imposing and cool.

4. Nick Fury. I generally like Samuel L. Jackson's films. I never had a problem with him playing Nick Fury, and enjoyed his portrayal in Avengers.

5. I definitely liked Andrew Garfield better as Peter Parker/Spidey than Tobey McGuire. There were a few scenes with Tobey that were good, but I never thought he was the guy to play Pete/Spidey.

6. I never had a problem with RDJ playing Tony Stark, other than the fact that he has to wear elevator shoes to be at eye level with Gwynth Paltrow when she's bare footed. RDJ is amazing as Stark/Iron Man. He will have incredibly big elevator shoes to fill when he is too old to play this part any longer...

7. Ian McCellan as Magneto. I never liked this casting, and I still don't. He's all wrong for this character as far as I'm concerned, in personality and physical appearance. He's not nearly imposing enough "physically" to play this character. I always wanted Rutger Hauer to play Magneto when he was younger. Even though he's old now, Rutger is still four years younger than Ian McCellan.

8. Never had a problem with Mr. Tumnus....err, James McAvoy playing a young Charles, and I enjoyed his performance, other than his totally unconvincing lack of emotion when his adopted "sister" goes over to the dark side to join Magneto.

9. I thought Anne Hathaway was great as Catwoman, and never thought otherwise.

Obviously, these are just my opinions, nothing more. And, I know if Paul Giamatti does a great job with his acting ability playing the part of the Rhino, I'll still think he was a poor casting choice for one of my favorite Spidey villains.
Meteor Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 10:35 PM   #207
Meteor Man
Imperial Guardsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbr3bagshotrow View Post
So many people, including here on SF, think they are better at casting than those who do it for a living and the directors who see/listen to the actors reading for the part.
That's not completely true. But, I do think that I could have done a better job on some of them...
Meteor Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 11:07 PM   #208
snappahead
Producer
Producer

Quote:
You really want stand alone individual movies for Vulture, Electro, Kraven the Hunter, Mysterio, Doc Oc? I personally don't think they need a back story.

The first two Xmen and last one where successful without each character having their own movie. The reason Avengers characters needed movies was because most people outside of comic readers have no idea who Captain America, Iron Man and Thor are. I think we can get too hung up on character development. Joker had no character development. We don't know his origin or where he came from but he was still effective.
No, I don't. But I do want to care at least a little about characters in a story. Its not necessary to know the life story to care about them in any way. Joker was effective because he had a lot of screen time. Joker's character was given the time needed to make you invested on some level. I didn't know everything about him, but I knew enough to know I wanted to know more. I wasn't too concerned about the fate of any of the new generic villains in Last Stand or even what happened to Eddie Brock in SM3. They were just mushed into a story that didnt have room for them.

I'm at the point where the story matters to me. If the story sucks, it's boring to watch. Even in a super hero movie. If the story isn't important to the movie, then it sure isn't going to be important to me. And stories live and die by the characters in them.
Old 02-19-2013, 08:20 PM   #209
stormshadow75x
Kiss my shiny metal arse!

I just don't see how Webb (the Director) can handle more than one villain when he did such a bad job with the Lizard.
stormshadow75x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:48 PM   #210
DynamicMenace
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

he is more honed in on his Powers now. plus he is smart.
he will be using his brains a lot more in this next one.
DynamicMenace is offline   Reply With Quote