Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 12-19-2016, 02:15 PM   #1091
OrangeCrush
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
Fargo S2 - 9.5/10

Wow! I was completely blind sided by how brilliant this season was. After S1, which was good and IIRC I rated it an 8/10, I had serious doubts about the decision to continue with another season as they're self contained stories for the most part. That said S2 is simply on another level. This season hits it out of the park on every level. Acting, narrative, cinematography, costume & set design. Just an amazing, violent period piece that truly delivers something completely unique to television. One of the best series I've seen in years. I'm embarrassed it took me almost a year to jump into it, but once I did I was hooked and binge watched the hell out of it.

Fargo is another one I have heard a lot of great things about and have yet to see. Just so much amazing content out there these days that its hard keeping up with all of it. With Netflix, Amazon and even Hulu now making thier own original content on top of all of the older networks like HBO, Showtime, etc.....well, there is just a slew of high quality content out there with more being made all the time. Amazon just announced that they are doubling down on thier original content and plan to increase thier spending to roughly 6 billion a year thus matching Netflix's spending when it comes to original content. Amazon is basically going head to head with Netflix and Netflix says they are increasing what they are spending as well. If you look at the original content those companies have planned over the next few years, its pretty staggering.

Honestly, Netflix's transformation from a company that basically leased Hollywood and network content to a company that creates a large amount of thier own content on top of the content they lease has been one of the most impressive transformations in the entire history of cable/tv/Hollywood. Netflix's first self-commissioned original content was House of Cards, which started back in 2013. Its only been around 3-4 years and they have arguably become as quality of a producer as channels like HBO, Showtime, etc. Its pretty staggering what they have achived in such a short period of time and Amazon is now following suit and they have been pretty successful thus far as well. The cost of leasing Hollywood content has increased dramatically over the last few years, which is why there is significantly less quality leased content on Netflix at any given time. It wouldn't surprise me to see Netflix go 100% original content like 5-10 years down the road and just get rid of the leasing model entirely. By that time they will have a pretty impressive catalog of shows from years past and that would allow them to spend significantly more on thier original content.

Its literally gotten to the point where all the great writers want to work on network shows as opposed to working on movies, which is a pretty dramatic shift from the aspirations most great script writers had just 5 or so years back. The advantages to having your own show over writing scripts for films is pretty obvious. Anyways, Fargo is definitely on my list of shows to watch as I have heard nothing but great things about it, especially season 2. Will definitely get through that before were through winter.
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 02:20 PM   #1092
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Post your ratings/thoughts once you do get through Fargo. Would love to hear what you thought.
Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 12:27 AM   #1093
Babytoxie
Ghost

People of Earth, S1 - 8/10

I wasn't expecting much, but this is a surprisingly solid and funny series about a support group for alien abductees. I'm definitely looking forward to next season.
Babytoxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 02:26 AM   #1094
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Just finished season one of Designated Survivor. 8/10. Good political conspiracy drama.
Old 12-26-2016, 05:17 PM   #1095
Babytoxie
Ghost

Good Behavior, first 6 episodes of S1 - 4/10

The first episode of this TNT crime drama was very interesting; however, it rapidly descended into a bunch of nonsense. It's nice to see Michelle Dockery back on TV, but I don't see this show developing the rabid following of Downton Abbey.
Babytoxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 11:10 PM   #1096
joefixit2
Baron Zemo

Wayward Pines S1 S2 8/10 The two season were very different in tone and story but they were both a fun watch. Only 10 episodes each season so worth taking the time to watch.
joefixit2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 02:49 PM   #1097
ParisDean
Kiss my shiny metal arse!

Daredevil - Season 1

I finally got around to watching this on disc. It may be the best comic-based TV series I've ever seen. 9/10
ParisDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 03:07 PM   #1098
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

We have been binge viewing the Netflix series Longmire. Just finished season 4. Netflix is producing it's last season of Longmire season 6. Great show. Different kind of cop show.
Old 01-05-2017, 08:59 AM   #1099
joefixit2
Baron Zemo

The OA 7/10 Didn't like it as much as Stranger Things but had a similar weird vibe to it. Have no idea what the ending meant.
joefixit2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 03:32 PM   #1100
Portugueezer
Hellboy

Dirk Gently's holistic detective agency 8.5\10

Very diferente and.... fun! Loved it!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	p13210841_b_v8_aa.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	272.6 KB
ID:	100834