Sithlord32
New Republic

Gethsemoni ~ Queen of the Dead ~ PF by Sideshow Collectibles

"THIS IS MY DOMAIN.
EVERYTHING WITHIN IT -
FROM THE LOWEST OF THE LOST SOULS,
TO THE MOST POWERFUL LORDS -
SERVES ME."

Death’s first creation, the Spirit borne Gethsemoni, was fashioned from raw Flesh, her mind coalesced from the collective subconscious of humanity, and as such, her form echoes the expectations of the living. Beautiful and flawless to behold, this resident of the shadow realm glimmers like a jewel in the darkness. But be warned – the Queen of the Dead’s countenance is naught but a distraction. Her mercurial mood and unfettered ambitions make her a dangerous and volatile player in Death’s Court, one whose loyalty to her king is often questioned… but only in the most terrified of whispers...

Gethsemoni, Sideshows second release in their The Dead/Court of the Dead line of characters has been long awaited by many in anticipation. With this release might be the rise or fall of this line as scrutiny in quality and cost has also been anticipated with a fervor in her arrival. So at long last fans and foes here we go.

Product Details
Title: Queen Of The Dead Premium Format™ Figure
License: Court of the Dead
ES/EX (edition size): 3,000 (exclusive edition size): N/A
Scale: 1:4
Composition: Polytone
Dimensions: 21.5" H (546.1mm) x 8" W (203.2mm) x 5" L (127mm)
Product Weight: 15.00 lbs (6.8 kg)
Manufacturer: Sideshow Collectibles
MSRP (USD): $379.99
Design: Tom Gilliland, Ian MacDonald, Walter O'Neal, Tim Hanson (Costume Fabrication)
Sculpt: Mark Newman
Paint: Tom Gilliland, Kat Sapene

I captured two sets of pictures here. This first set was taken under average florescent lighting to show the difference in the appearance of skin tone. After thoroughly selecting the best images I had taken I feel she displays well in both types of lighting. Whether in direct or indirect light both natural and otherwise the subtle hues of shadow in her pale flesh appear to display well as do most of the details in the sculpt. This was something i was weary of in debate before her arrival. I will say I am pleasantly surprised that lighting with this piece should not be an issue for anyone as I feel both forms of light capture the paint application.

The application and appearance of her tattoos or henna if you will was also a cause for concern and debate. Upon her arriving in the hands of collectors it has been hit and miss. Some are marred and crooked while others are aligned as they should be.

One might say that the piece I have here and am using for this review is not perfect I would take that with a grain of salt in aspect. Her body is contorted in such a way that her back has an arch and a twist to it and her shoulders that in reality would not display a tattoo in an absolute perfect alignment. It is symmetrical enough on her shoulder area and the bottom of the design lines up perfectly with the center of her spine though the center of it does not follow the spinal indent in the sculpt. Aesthetically I don't feel the slight deviation the design takes from her spine affects the statue in a negative way but rather helps in displaying the curvature of her position and stance. There are other instances I have seen where this alignment and placement can be considered unacceptable or undesirable at least.

A quick shot for size comaprision

Sithlord32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 06:15 AM   #2
Sithlord32
New Republic

There are mixed images from here to the end though I dont feel I need to explain which are taken under the florescent lighting and those in the daylight its obvious enough. The detail of the sculpt is really pretty amazing. Her jewelry and adornments are very ornate and detailed for their size. Taking this all in I have yet to find anything I would consider as sloppy lines. Around her eyes the "mascara" lines are a little bit wobbly but nothing very noticeable and can be excepted in a factory piece with such small detail.

I was really surprised at the small detail added to her hair line. There is not just a line separating her hair color from her skin tone but each small hair is painted. Its a very meticulous amount of detail and adds a generous amount of realism. Her eyes are straight on with the direction and positioning of her head as well as having a small amount of gloss to them that was missing from the Red Sonja PF. Her lips also have a nice glossy finish to them.

These amorous details are a fitting design to the statue. Some speculation as to Gesthsemoni being undead and not looking the part of an undead queen have been discussed as well. I have to interject with my opinion in the matter which would be the overlooked part of her title. A "QUEEN" is royalty and a dominate forceful female in a position of power so for her part I cant help but feel she should look the part as well. As I said her having a somewhat glamours appeal is fitting for her story and design as a character. Though not overall an important aspect of the statue for a review I felt it had enough importance at least to myself to address that discussion in determent and in lieu of keeping an open mind in taking things at their own value.

Old 02-15-2015, 06:16 AM   #3
Sithlord32
New Republic

The base of the statue is solid in its design. With the two minions lurking at her feet it has just enough complexity and simplicity to complement the statue nicely. I first glance it seems sort of bland and was seeming to be in need of a more detailed paint application but in hindsight its simplicity fits and the demon minions are plenty to give it that extra flavor without over doing it. The minions themselves look outstanding. Plenty of detail to found here in their sculpt and paint application. There has been some talk of something rattling around inside the base and the piece I have is not devoid of this issue. At best guess when the holes were drilled there was some small piece of the inside of the mold that came loose or its just part of the piece of the hole. Its not a deterrent to me in anyway as I don't pick up and shake my statues for any reason but if that's something you do like to do for whatever reason then I guess it might be bothersome.

Summary

Sculpt: 10/10

From conception to execution the sculpt here is just about flawless. Muscle tone and proportions are all on point. Detail is outstanding from top to bottom. Facial features are realistic and fluid. When I first saw this statue there was a wow effect and that was at the time of pre-order and i have to admit it carried through to the production piece. An absolutely stunning presentation of the female from and character.

Paint & Mixed Media: 9.5/10/10

Going over the paint application with a fine tooth comb I cannot discern a complaint. Though not absolutely perfect on every line there is no sloppiness to be had. I feel the final product here is at its best. There will never be a production piece that is as well done as a prototype and that is just the reality of it and the only reason its losing half a point here. I feel this has been given dedication and the scrutiny of producing a quality statue that lives up to its price tag. Not every piece is going to be without flaws of some sort but judging y the one I have in my hands Sideshow is capable of putting out a statue of superior caliber.

The sarong is very beautiful in its own right. The embroidery design is very detailed and double stitched. The fabric inside and out has a very soft silky feel to it with a nice sheen that can be seen in low light. Its a putsy endeavor to get it to sit right and stay in her hand but ultimately is of top quality with wire inserted on the top and bottom seams for pliability.

Design: 10/10

She is stout in her presence and intriguing as a character. She is sexy with an attitude and carries a regalness in her poise. Her minions add an aspect that keeps her in line with her namesake and have character all their own to behold. The base is simple but detailed and not overly large or too small and does not distract from the statue itself but gives her just the right amount of added height and flair. With most statues i think a large majority of us can find something we would like to alter to fit our own personal tastes even in the most excellently executed statues but with this one I really cannot think of anything I could add nor subtract from it to improve it in such a manner.

It does take some caution with the one minion on her right leg so as not to scratch her leg because his hand is so close but I think aesthetically it looks perfect once in place.

Production & Build Quality:9.5/10

The statue is well balanced and easy to put together. No problems inserting her into the base or the two minions though i have seen issues in others where the pegs are not molded in properly and do not allow either her or the one minion on her right leg to sit flush with the base. The one I have has no issues with this however. All pieces fit easily and seamlessly together. I cannot foresee any future issues with leaning as when inserted she sits quite firmly in place. I carried her from one room to another just by the base and she did not wobble or falter at all.

The small loose piece of polystone inside the base is a flaw I guess and is not just a single occurrence but does nothing to the outwards appearance or displability. Paint and seams are all as they should be. Though my piece seems to be free of any flaws there has been some with issues in the sculpt itself with nicks or air pockets in the polystone. It cannot be determined what the exact cause of these are but I mention it here because it could be a production or handling issue. Overall from the piece I have I cannot complain about the quality of this singular piece in any of its aspects though there are some out there with flaws.

OVERALL: 9.75/10

In the end I am very pleased with the statue I received. I am aware of others that have their flaws but overall its obvious by the single piece I was able to acquire that this statue can be obtained with next to zero defects and will most likely remain in the collections of many as a prized and appreciated collectible.

Old 02-15-2015, 08:26 AM   #4
Force of Nature
Marshal Law

WOW! What an absolutely amazing review this is!
I love the format, the review itself, the pictures.. it's all equally good and impressive.

Keep up the good work Sithlord; the Force is definitely with you!

Rainer

Nothing can stop The Juggernaut... NOTHING!
Force of Nature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 08:59 AM   #5
Vallos
Jubilee

Excellent review. The critiques were valid, and the praise was not over the top. Well balanced and objectionable.
Vallos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 09:42 AM   #6
Bmutha
I like to make what's yours mine.

Great pics! Glad you are happy with the piece!
Bmutha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 12:39 PM   #7
Eky
Cross country skiing is great if you live in a small country.

Wow what a review!

Thanks for this and all the pictures and info.

Where does the first b&w drawing come from plz?
Eky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 01:59 PM   #8
Sithlord32
New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eky View Post
Wow what a review!

Thanks for this and all the pictures and info.

Where does the first b&w drawing come from plz?
Thanks everyone. Eky the drawing is from the concept sketches on the Court of the Dead page which can be found here--->
http://courtofthedead.com/
Old 02-15-2015, 02:02 PM   #9
amyroxs
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

Very detailed review! I love to see more of these!
amyroxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 11:30 AM   #10
gamegod2x
Madness takes its toll. Please have exact change

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sithlord32 View Post
The base of the statue is solid in its design. With the two minions lurking at her feet it has just enough complexity and simplicity to complement the statue nicely. I first glance it seems sort of bland and was seeming to be in need of a more detailed paint application but in hindsight its simplicity fits and the demon minions are plenty to give it that extra flavor without over doing it. The minions themselves look outstanding. Plenty of detail to found here in their sculpt and paint application. There has been some talk of something rattling around inside the base and the piece I have is not devoid of this issue. At best guess when the holes were drilled there was some small piece of the inside of the mold that came loose or its just part of the piece of the hole. Its not a deterrent to me in anyway as I don't pick up and shake my statues for any reason but if that's something you do like to do for whatever reason then I guess it might be bothersome.

Summary

Sculpt: 10/10

From conception to execution the sculpt here is just about flawless. Muscle tone and proportions are all on point. Detail is outstanding from top to bottom. Facial features are realistic and fluid. When I first saw this statue there was a wow effect and that was at the time of pre-order and i have to admit it carried through to the production piece. An absolutely stunning presentation of the female from and character.

Paint & Mixed Media: 9.5/10/10

Going over the paint application with a fine tooth comb I cannot discern a complaint. Though not absolutely perfect on every line there is no sloppiness to be had. I feel the final product here is at its best. There will never be a production piece that is as well done as a prototype and that is just the reality of it and the only reason its losing half a point here. I feel this has been given dedication and the scrutiny of producing a quality statue that lives up to its price tag. Not every piece is going to be without flaws of some sort but judging y the one I have in my hands Sideshow is capable of putting out a statue of superior caliber.

The sarong is very beautiful in its own right. The embroidery design is very detailed and double stitched. The fabric inside and out has a very soft silky feel to it with a nice sheen that can be seen in low light. Its a putsy endeavor to get it to sit right and stay in her hand but ultimately is of top quality with wire inserted on the top and bottom seams for pliability.

Design: 10/10

She is stout in her presence and intriguing as a character. She is sexy with an attitude and carries a regalness in her poise. Her minions add an aspect that keeps her in line with her namesake and have character all their own to behold. The base is simple but detailed and not overly large or too small and does not distract from the statue itself but gives her just the right amount of added height and flair. With most statues i think a large majority of us can find something we would like to alter to fit our own personal tastes even in the most excellently executed statues but with this one I really cannot think of anything I could add nor subtract from it to improve it in such a manner.

It does take some caution with the one minion on her right leg so as not to scratch her leg because his hand is so close but I think aesthetically it looks perfect once in place.

Production & Build Quality:9.5/10

The statue is well balanced and easy to put together. No problems inserting her into the base or the two minions though i have seen issues in others where the pegs are not molded in properly and do not allow either her or the one minion on her right leg to sit flush with the base. The one I have has no issues with this however. All pieces fit easily and seamlessly together. I cannot foresee any future issues with leaning as when inserted she sits quite firmly in place. I carried her from one room to another just by the base and she did not wobble or falter at all.

The small loose piece of polystone inside the base is a flaw I guess and is not just a single occurrence but does nothing to the outwards appearance or displability. Paint and seams are all as they should be. Though my piece seems to be free of any flaws there has been some with issues in the sculpt itself with nicks or air pockets in the polystone. It cannot be determined what the exact cause of these are but I mention it here because it could be a production or handling issue. Overall from the piece I have I cannot complain about the quality of this singular piece in any of its aspects though there are some out there with flaws.

OVERALL: 9.75/10

In the end I am very pleased with the statue I received. I am aware of others that have their flaws but overall its obvious by the single piece I was able to acquire that this statue can be obtained with next to zero defects and will most likely remain in the collections of many as a prized and appreciated collectible.

Wow, I love the review, great job!

I would love to see your written review done with video, I think it would be great. Thanks for sharing!
gamegod2x is offline   Reply With Quote