Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Home Grown > Sculptor's Pit Stop

Old 02-08-2014, 12:25 PM   #1
lchunleo
Fantastic Four

A curious question, is it possible to sculpt a robot

Hi all

I am curious, is it possible to use clay to sculpt robot face and body? how is it different from our more organic form? i have this impression that clay because it is malleable and flexible has been good for organic and flowing lines compare to more structured and straight lines. i wonder item such as transformer done by Sideshow are made from sculpting or from "3d printing"? even for amour wearing character such as the
http://www.sideshowtoy.com/collectib...tibles-100181/

what is your view of 3d printing vs sculpting ? given the ease and precision of 3d printing, will would you think will be for sculpting by hand have to have an edge over 3d printing?
lchunleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 07:28 AM   #2
afreeman
Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity.

You can sculpt very structured and strait lines, well some can, I am still learning, 3D printing vs sculpting, just depends on if you want to express yourself artistically, or make a zerox copy of something.
afreeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 11:21 AM   #3
barneyjoseph
Mephisto

That depends on the clay medium and the size of the statue. It is possible to get it done in terracotta too (if you can manage the drying and shrinkage). For terracotta the size has to be bigger.

Then there's Super Sculpey mixed with Sculpey Firm, or just Sculpey Firm. You can get it done in any hard oil-based clays. There's Cx5 and monster clay too.

It all depends on how you use your tools and what techniques that you use when modelling.
barneyjoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 02:10 PM   #4
lchunleo
Fantastic Four

have been trying to sculpt a sample one but of no result..is it because i using super sculpey only or my techniques? waiting for super scupley firm to stock up in my local store...

one of the difficulties i faced is getting the right shape and not changing the shape while sculpting other parts. not to mention to get crisp nice shape which even difficult...
Old 06-29-2014, 02:22 PM   #5
Sithlord32
New Republic

http://www.statueforum.com/showthread.php?t=144289
Sithlord32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 06:33 AM   #6
barneyjoseph
Mephisto

The sculpt by Nimanjeb is proof enough that sculpting robots in sculpey is possible.

How you handle it is up to you.You could build up your armature and bulk it up with epoxy paste. Mark out your lines and sand out the surfaces. Put sculpey on top of it and it should be fairly straight. Use the thin line tapes that automobile modelers use to make sure they sculpt a proper line to demarcate planes.

http://www.audi.com/content/com/bran...4429570227.jpg

http://www.audi.com/content/com/bran...4429539232.jpg

Go over the sculpey with a rake that has the shape of the plane that you want. You may not be able to get it down perfectly and that is based on practice. This can be sanded to perfection after baking

Also consider baking in parts so that you don't end up damaging one side while working on the other.

Hope this helps
Old 11-14-2015, 02:05 PM   #7
lchunleo
Fantastic Four

thank barneyjoseph, sorry for taking this long to reply to this thread as something crops up in my life..

ok back to the thread, i am trying to build mechanical scupley parts (tubes, geometric, ) which i am facing issue, as i go to the level to do so, it is getting harder to control the clay as they turn ugly..this is what i am trying to build

i have been thinking to cook them first then add on other parts gradually..(is it possible?)..have been hesitating as i am trying to get the proportion correct that i don't dare to do so (perfectionist..haha)
Old 11-15-2015, 03:23 AM   #8
barneyjoseph
Mephisto

Yes, you can bake and add sculpey later. Once baked you can sand down your piece, add a little petroleum jelly and put sculpey on top.

Please look into the forum about baking sculpey and adding more. I think it is a sticky now. Go through all the posts.

Nice to see some progress.
Old 11-27-2015, 09:34 AM   #9
lchunleo
Fantastic Four

Quote:
Originally Posted by barneyjoseph View Post
Yes, you can bake and add sculpey later. Once baked you can sand down your piece, add a little petroleum jelly and put sculpey on top.

Please look into the forum about baking sculpey and adding more. I think it is a sticky now. Go through all the posts.

Nice to see some progress.
thank you for your helpful suggestion hope to post some more in the future