Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > XM Studios

Old 05-12-2022, 07:27 PM   #191
SDguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenLogikos View Post
I was too pre-occupied with his 'bashed-in brain' to notice initially, but yeah, he has psoriasis patches all over his body. Some areas smooth, veiny; others rough, scaly. wtf

Apoc changed my mind somewhat from render to production; we'll see if this can do the same...
Yeah, now that you mention it I'm not liking that either.
SDguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 07:42 PM   #192
Peedi
The Secret Six

When someone makes this guy then I’ll buy it. I really want a 1/4 Venom but I’m going to skip all the skin disease monsters these statue companies substitute with. How they interpret wild tentacle strands on top of rough, dry textures from such a sleek design is beyond me.

Peedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 08:24 PM   #193
ZenLogikos
Black Panther
Adamantium Member

I think sometimes these digital sculptors fall in love with the tools at their disposal, and get carried away/lose sight of character-specific design elements.
ZenLogikos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 12:49 AM   #194
azurepred
Zot

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadAsGhoul View Post
Well, one could argue that Larsen is classic, since he predates Bagley's work. But i know what you mean. I do love McFarlane's less teeth, but Larsen's Venom is my fave.

fair point, Larsen made a great venom too. I agree with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernLadMSP View Post
According to Ang, this will have a bunch of tendrils. Ugh.
$1k + saved!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peedi View Post
THIS!

He?s such a basic looking character. Every indication in the comics lets us know he?s smooth and often liquidy. Yet statues consistently give us burnt and crispy. It makes no sense at all.
I gotta say, I'm still a fan of the og Venom comiquette. I still want to get that piece back one day. The weird thing to me is, the original sculptor of the XM 1/3 Venom bust is the same sculptor of this new Venom. I think we all assumed we would get something close to that in 1/4 scale. So far, I have basically hated all the new XM pieces coming after Swamp Thing. I don't like their art direction.
azurepred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 03:36 AM   #195
Peedi
The Secret Six

Quote:
I think sometimes these digital sculptors fall in love with the tools at their disposal, and get carried away/lose sight of character-specific design elements.
Yup that makes perfect sense. I think so too. And ultimately there are enough people who like and will buy texture for the sake of texture, tendril tentacles, rough dry skin on alien ooze, etc.
Peedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 06:14 AM   #196
Halcyon
Loki

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC_808 View Post
I immediately thought Clayface.

But let's see how it looks painted. The black paint app might hide most of that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDguy View Post
Ha! It does have a Clayface vibe with all the texture, plus the pose reminds me of this one...

If you imagine a longer upper lip , You have a classic Lizard statue (including claw and pose).
Will prob be too expensive anyway..
Halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 08:57 AM   #197
SONICobra
Batman

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernLadMSP View Post
According to Ang, this will have a bunch of tendrils. Ugh.
of coarse! any long time comic book reader would know venom is known for having symbiote tendrils flying all over the place no one has the balls to make a clean venom with a true mcfarlane portrait

Quote:
I was too pre-occupied with his 'bashed-in brain' to notice initially
yeah i thought his head looked like a squished piece of fruit as well
SONICobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 09:06 AM   #198
Mister H
Youngblood

Every time a new Venom statue comes out whoever makes it tries to "out-Venom" the previous Venom. They should just send the buyer a bunch of black slime and say "here just throw this against the wall and you'll have the ultimate Venom".
Mister H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 09:12 AM   #199
SONICobra
Batman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister H View Post
Every time a new Venom statue comes out whoever makes it tries to "out-Venom" the previous Venom. They should just send the buyer a bunch of black slime and say "here just throw this against the wall and you'll have the ultimate Venom".
this literally made me laugh out loud

just the arrogance of these companies telling long time fans what a iconic character should look like. "we know what you want, we know how he should look but we think thats boring so heres our original take - dont like it dont buy it"
SONICobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 09:40 AM   #200
SDguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SONICobra View Post
this literally made me laugh out loud

just the arrogance of these companies telling long time fans what a iconic character should look like. "we know what you want, we know how he should look but we think thats boring so heres our original take - dont like it dont buy it"
Yet, they get made because people buy them. You can drown a person in all the venom statues available, between licensed and customs. So who exactly is at fault here.
SDguy is online now   Reply With Quote