Old 05-02-2017, 01:44 PM   #11
Davidian
Omega Flight

Glad to hear he's ok, pretty scary!
Davidian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 02:50 PM   #12
JP Sarri
Retired Reviewer

Best wishes to George and his family. Praying for him.
JP Sarri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 04:38 PM   #13
whd
Suicide Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar View Post
Perhaps the best fellow you'll meet at a convention. I sure hope this isn't anything serious. We were lucky enough to meet him in Montreal 5 years ago. He once did a sketch of my daughter Selina... It's hanging in her room. I realize we had the choice to ask him to draw whatever we wanted but we went with this instead just to make it more personal.

Too cute!
whd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 04:42 PM   #14
risingstar
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by whd View Post
Too cute!
That's what he said.
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 12:05 PM   #15
MONSTER
Modzilla
Super Moderator

Love that picture Charles.

I know that they say you should never meet your heroes or your bound to be disappointed but George Perez is definitely the exception to that rule. I met him for the first time at the 1997 San Diego Comic Con. He is so genuine and nice and engages with all of the people that line up for him. I hope he makes a full and speedy recovery.

Last edited by MONSTER; 05-07-2017 at 01:10 PM.
MONSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 02:09 PM   #16
risingstar
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by MONSTER View Post
Love that picture Charles.

I know that say that you should never meet your heroes or your bound to be disappointed but George Perez is definitely the exception to that rule. I met him for the first time at the 1997 San Diego Comic Con. He is so genuine and nice and engages with all of the people that line up for him. I hope he makes a full and speedy recovery.
I completely agree!

You're right. I did say that about artists and celebrities. However, there certainly are some exceptions to this rule. George is definitely one of them, as is Gates McFadden, as odd as that might sound. We were lucky enough to spend some time with her as well. She came off as smart, sweet, a total mom, and did not at all appear about the fame and money. However, I also tend to think that when Selina (my daughter) is around, she tends to bring out the best in people.
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 12:25 PM   #17
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

George is one of the most genuine, sweet guys anyone will ever meet. I met him back around 1998 at the Kansas City Planet ComicCon and I brought my copy of Avengers #141, his first issue on the title. He held my comic up over his head and yelled with a huge smile on his face, "My first time! No one forgets their first time!" The man is a jewel among men!
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 01:09 PM   #18
MONSTER
Modzilla
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf View Post
George is one of the most genuine, sweet guys anyone will ever meet. I met him back around 1998 at the Kansas City Planet ComicCon and I brought my copy of Avengers #141, his first issue on the title. He held my comic up over his head and yelled with a huge smile on his face, "My first time! No one forgets their first time!" The man is a jewel among men!
That's great!
Old 05-07-2017, 01:43 PM   #19
JadeGiant
Angry Green Rage Monster Mod. SMASH!
Super Moderator

I so agree about meeting your favorite artists. When Sal Buscema was to receive a Harvey lifetime achievement award at Baltimore in 2013 I did everything I could do to make sure I would be there, including driving to the show, staying all day/night (award show was in the evening) and then driving back with no sleep. All the while I was wondering what he would be like in person. I would have been devastated to have a bad experience but it was a chance I decided to make and I was not disappointed.

I have been waiting to meet George in person for a few years. He just hasn't been at a show I have attended in a long time. I can't wait to the show where our schedules align. I can't wait to show him a favorite piece in my collection and see his response. He is also the last I need to sign my original Infinity Gauntlet LCS posters (already have Joe R and Starlin). I am SO glad his health condition appears to be moving in the right direction.

CAF
JadeGiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 03:02 PM   #20
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MONSTER View Post
That's great!
One of my absolute fondest memories from any Con I've attended.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote