Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 05-24-2017, 02:50 PM   #341
Philintheblank
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vracula View Post
Yes that would be cool. The colonists are alien incubators, I think they are beyond saving.
Yeah, that's what I got from it. It takes, according to David, over a year for the message to make it back. They'll be gone by then.
Philintheblank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 06:35 PM   #342
Luminous
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf View Post
A different opinion isn't necessarily "hate." It's just a different and equally legitimate opinion.
A reviewer literally said "I hated this movie". If that isn't hate then what is?

Oh and just because everyone has an opinion it doesn't make them all correct.
Luminous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 06:48 PM   #343
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminous View Post
A reviewer literally said "I hated this movie". If that isn't hate then what is?

I'd say your last statement is true about social issues, in many cases, but when we're talking about preferences for art then a different opinion is correct for that person based on his or her tastes and preferences.

As to defining "hate," I think we're using different definitions. Hating a film, to me, is opinion about art and isn't the same thing as being "a hater" such as despising something because it's DC vs Marvel, for example, without even giving the film a chance.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 07:03 PM   #344
Luminous
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf View Post
I'd say your last statement is true about social issues, in many cases, but when we're talking about preferences for art then a different opinion is correct for that person based on his or her tastes and preferences.
I understand what you're saying but I am also of the mind that even subjective opinions can be flat out wrong. I know, I know that goes against the very concept of an opinion, but so many opinions are so flat out dumb that I can't give them any credence even by the strictest definition of the term. Just my opinion.

Quote:
As to defining "hate," I think we're using different definitions. Hating a film, to me, is opinion about art and isn't the same thing as being "a hater" such as despising something because it's DC vs Marvel, for example, without even giving the film a chance.
And I am saying both versions of the term "hate" are being demonstrated here. By it's very definition of the word hate and the predisposition of those whom have used exaggerating verbiage to describe their negative feelings towards the film.
Old 05-24-2017, 07:34 PM   #345
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vracula View Post
Yes that would be cool. The colonists are alien incubators, I think they are beyond saving.
Hard to say if they'd all be beyond saving. It would depend on whether David is able to produce a queen I'd think, given he only had the two Xenomorph specimens. It would take some time to incubate all 2000 colonists even if he did and I don't think he has the material to create the eggs like he did planet side.
Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 07:38 PM   #346
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
I understand what you're saying but I am also of the mind that even subjective opinions can be flat out wrong. I know, I know that goes against the very concept of an opinion, but so many opinions are so flat out dumb that I can't give them any credence even by the strictest definition of the term. Just my opinion.
Seems like right here he is trying to prove his point.
Old 05-24-2017, 07:51 PM   #347
Luminous
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbr3bagshotrow View Post
Seems like right here he is trying to prove his point.
That I can't be "wrong" because I have expressed an opinion? Yeah, I guess I am proving his point.
Old 05-24-2017, 09:23 PM   #348
Vecchio1
I went to a general store. They wouldn't let me buy anything specifically.

Most of us just expected too much. Box office wise it has done ok so far. The word "hate" is a bit strong tho. It left so much unexplained. These prequels so far have been average. Anyone hear what James Cameron had to say? Just curious.
Vecchio1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 11:09 PM   #349
Vracula
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
Hard to say if they'd all be beyond saving. It would depend on whether David is able to produce a queen I'd think, given he only had the two Xenomorph specimens. It would take some time to incubate all 2000 colonists even if he did and I don't think he has the material to create the eggs like he did planet side.
Well you're not an android now are you hellboy....or are you?
Vracula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 04:25 AM   #350
RichBamf
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Quote:
I'd actually say that NO opinion can be correct, it's an opinion. If it was true it would be a statement of fact.
RichBamf is offline   Reply With Quote