Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > XM Studios

Old 10-26-2015, 12:13 PM   #21
Bmutha
I like to make what's yours mine.

I'm not sure about this one...will wait to see the sculpt.

If I was going to make a sitting Kingpin statue, I would have had him at a large, luxurious wooden office desk in his NY penthouse office, leaning back in his chair with a cigar (or since Marvel would never approve a cigar, maybe a jewel or his cane or something).
Bmutha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 12:14 PM   #22
Bmutha

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexus View Post
I really like the concept, but prefer him to be leaning back and more in command rather than craning over the chessboard. I think it should be designed in such a way that the chessboard is an ancillary piece and not the focus. That will likely happen once they get into it. I absolutely love the idea of a playable chess set. That's going to make it an awesome must have.
Yes, leaning forward all hunched like that makes him look weak and desperate to me. Kingpin is all about power...he's untouchable and he knows it. He should be leaning back, I agree.
Old 10-26-2015, 12:19 PM   #23
built2shred
Phoenix

If the chess pieces were carved heroes and villains, it would symbolized him trying to out think them with strategy.
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 01:02 PM   #24
StringKeyRhythm
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmutha View Post
Yes, leaning forward all hunched like that makes him look weak and desperate to me. Kingpin is all about power...he's untouchable and he knows it. He should be leaning back, I agree.
That's one way of looking at it. In defense of the leaning forward pose, perhaps Spidey has foiled Kingpin's plans once again and is now starting to display frustration. This point of view has more story behind it.
StringKeyRhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 01:15 PM   #25
Bmutha

Quote:
Originally Posted by StringKeyRhythm View Post
That's one way of looking at it. In defense of the leaning forward pose, perhaps Spidey has foiled Kingpin's plans once again and is now starting to display frustration. This point of view has more story behind it.
meh...if Kingpin is taking out his frustrations, I imagine it would be by smashing his desk in two, tossing some lackey out a window, or beating someone to a pulp with his cane. He doesn't cry in the dark all by himself with his chess board. Just my take on the character, though.
Old 10-26-2015, 01:25 PM   #26
loricstone
Kang

Location: Don't come at me stupid or I'll Sammamish your candy ass!!
Quote:
Really KB? It sure looked like he has character flaws and weaknesses. One of the reasons I enjoyed the DD show so much on Netflix. His main power was his ability to control and influence what was going on in Hell's Kitchen...in addition to setting all his allies and opposition against one another.

This Kingpin setting all the characters on his chess board is the best representation of how he commands and influences pieces in his elaborate schemes in Hell's Kitchen and NY.

How else would you pull off his ability to influence those in a statue? I can't think of another way. Him leaning back in his chair holding his cane (which he is doing now) would represent what? That he's chillin'? Confident maybe? I don't see a better way to make Kingpin in a seated position.
loricstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 01:27 PM   #27
Dirt Torpedo
The Thunderbolts

Waited a very long time for Kingpin. Might be my first XM.
Dirt Torpedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 01:29 PM   #28
rhy
I was trying to daydream, but my mind kept wandering.

Quote:
If I was going to make a sitting Kingpin statue, I would have had him at a large, luxurious wooden office desk in his NY penthouse office, leaning back in his chair with a cigar (or since Marvel would never approve a cigar, maybe a jewel or his cane or something).
Agree, a cigar room-ish pose where Fisk is lounging would better solidify his status as the boss.

While there's nothing wrong w/ the current pose per se, it give the impression that the Kingpin is just another character attempting to plan a scheme. As opposed to, the main villian scheming.
rhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 01:32 PM   #29
GrumpyBear
Scarlet Witch

Cigar or a drink, Marvel will say no.
GrumpyBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 01:33 PM   #30
loricstone
Kang

Location: Don't come at me stupid or I'll Sammamish your candy ass!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbr3bagshotrow View Post
Seems sitting in a chair/throne is the next Captain Morgan look.
Out of 100 statues across all companies...I only think there are 6 (maybe more) seated statues:

1) Magneto
2) Medusa
3) Kingpin
4) Galactus
5) Aquaman
6) Kratos on Throne

Even if you can think of say 3 more....that is only about 6% - 10% of statues in seated positions...hardly the next Captain Morgan pose.

What's most important is does a pose fit a character being done in statue form. Surely, Kingpin fits the bill. I can think of a few more:

1) Odin
2) Loki
3) Hela
4) Ultron
loricstone is offline   Reply With Quote