Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 01-17-2014, 01:11 AM   #1
morgs
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

Commissions: Pencil vs Ink

I dont know whether this kind of thread has ever been done before, but i thought i would get you guys to give me your experiences and thought on this topic.......

Pencil or Pencil/Inked Commissions????

I personally prefer to get inked commissions as i feel they look better, and i dont mind spending the extra cash to get the extra mile done.
When i have spoken to other art collectors (more experienced ones) they have said that not all artists will ink or even colour as part of the commission.

Are there some artists that you shouldnt get ink as it takes away from the fantastic pencils???

Thoughts please guys?????
morgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 01:31 AM   #2
lordrycon
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

very interesting topic.

I have both inked and pencil commissions and I have come to appreciate the beauty of both.

Some artists do very highly rendered pencils and sometimes inking can cause a piece to lose a bit of detail.

If the artist gives the option to have a piece inked I always prefer it, but some just don't give that option.
lordrycon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 01:42 AM   #3
morgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordrycon View Post
very interesting topic.

I have both inked and pencil commissions and I have come to appreciate the beauty of both.

Some artists do very highly rendered pencils and sometimes inking can cause a piece to lose a bit of detail.

If the artist gives the option to have a piece inked I always prefer it, but some just don't give that option.
who were the artists that you have penciled commissions by that you wouldnt have inked if you were offered it???
Old 01-17-2014, 02:17 AM   #4
Royd
Producer
Producer

Hmmm, while I like the idea of inked commissions, as you and Ryan said, sometimes the artist may not offer inked versions.

Of course, if you get a pencil piece, you can always have it inked over a blueline at a later date as I did with the Dave Gibbons Rorschach commission which can be seen here -
http://www.comicartfans.com/galleryroom.asp?gsub=84288

I've recently requested and paid for another ink over blueline piece from Gary Martin over an Adam Hughes pencil piece of Barb Wire.

Using this option means you preserve the pencil original which some prefer.
Royd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 02:38 AM   #5
rjs1162
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

I prefer to have my penciled art blue line inked to preserve the original. What's nice about that( as with the aforementioned Gary Martin),is you get two separate pieces. In some cases the original penciler will charge more for their inks than that of a second ink commission from another artist. Most I have worked with offered both.
rjs1162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 02:40 AM   #6
morgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royd View Post
Hmmm, while I like the idea of inked commissions, as you and Ryan said, sometimes the artist may not offer inked versions.

Of course, if you get a pencil piece, you can always have it inked over a blueline at a later date as I did with the Dave Gibbons Rorschach commission which can be seen here -
http://www.comicartfans.com/galleryroom.asp?gsub=84288

I've recently requested and paid for another ink over blueline piece from Gary Martin over an Adam Hughes pencil piece of Barb Wire.

Using this option means you preserve the pencil original which some prefer.
Thanks heaps for your thoughts Royd, as I know you are a very experienced art collector it gives me a lot of food for thought
Looking forward to Supanova Melbourne
Maybe you could help me with a Colin Wilson commission????
Old 01-17-2014, 02:44 AM   #7
J-M-T
I was arrested for selling illegal-sized paper.

Depends on the artist. If you're getting something from Jay Anacleto for example, you do not want to get it inked.
J-M-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 03:48 AM   #8
lordrycon
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgs View Post
Thanks heaps for your thoughts Royd, as I know you are a very experienced art collector it gives me a lot of food for thought
Looking forward to Supanova Melbourne
Maybe you could help me with a Colin Wilson commission????
lol, once you get a piece from Colin you won't be able to stop at one.
lordrycon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 09:30 AM   #9
aric
Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

Some artists work shine in pencil. Take the late great Gene Colan. It was a crime inking over those glorious pencils. Other artists work come to life in ink. Take ed mcguiness. Add some dex inks and wowzers! It's really a matter of personal taste. I do try to pair a penciller with an inker that's associated with him. So when I recently got Reis to draw a piece for me I had Prado ink since they work together on actual books
aric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 10:02 AM   #10
Bishop40
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-M-T View Post
Depends on the artist. If you're getting something from Jay Anacleto for example, you do not want to get it inked.
agreed, but most of the time his pencil work doesn't even look like pencil it's just amazing.
Bishop40 is offline   Reply With Quote