Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 03-29-2008, 05:46 PM   #11
William Paquet
Sculptor
Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by snappahead View Post
Yeah, I've learned to set my expectations a bit lower for zombie films, so I think I'll be ok. I hear that the Italian films..at least in the 80's were always a step ahead in terms of horror.
Fulci's stuff is and is cool film making at the same time. Back in the day it was a badge of honor in the exploitation world to release a film "unrated" and advertise it as such. We gorehounds back then would salivate in anticipation of the next zombie or cannibal flick.

Some really sicko stuff came out back then, and much of it was beyond edgy.

Fulci's Zombi is a super fantastico gore-fest.
Old 03-29-2008, 05:48 PM   #12
MONSTER
Modzilla
Super Moderator

Zombi is the one with the shark scene, right? If so that's a great flick.

Fido is fantastic!!! Its so strange and goofy that it just works. I've recommended it a few times and everyone that saw it thought it was great.

I would definitely recommend that you give it a shot.
Old 03-29-2008, 05:49 PM   #13
William Paquet
Sculptor
Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by snappahead View Post
I found some of these on Amazon. Do any of you guys know these?

House by the Cemetery
Flesh Eater
After Death
Zombie Holocaust
City of the Living Dead
I know these-

House by the Cemetery
Zombie Holocaust
City of the Living Dead

HOUSE and CITY are both good Fulci flicks.

ZOMBIE HOLOCAUST might be best viewed at a later date once you get your Euro-trash baptism. It has it's moments, but it is recommended only for die hard Italia-Zombie-philles.
Old 03-29-2008, 05:53 PM   #14
snappahead
Producer
Producer

Good stuff...thanks guys.

So the Italian films are gory...do they even attempt a story or is it blood and guts without the content?
snappahead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 08:11 PM   #15
Tommy Allison
Sculptor
Sculptor

I think I have in my personal collection about 150 or so zombie movies.

In all honesty though, 99.9 percent of them are pure dreck.

There are some stand outs.

The original Night Of The Living Dead, ORIGINAL RELEASE. Has no music, and has the air of being a real documentary. Dawn Of The Dead, the original, for its message.

FIDO, is probably one of my favorite Zombie Comedies. Think Pleasantville meets Lassie, and any zombie flick.

Children Shouldn't Play With Dead Things, is a classic, because it's truly crap, but... has some interesting stuff happening.

Lucio Fulci's Zombi, and Zombi 3, The Beyond, and a whole host of others make the grade. Night Of The Creeps, which is funny, but again utter crap. The most recent installment of the Resident Evil franchise is watchable, but not exactly a zombie movie.

When it comes right down to it, Zombies are a nihilistic construct, and the inevitability of becoming one is essentially about the loss of one's identity. Everyone fears that. It's why the Alien movies work so well.

I just watched an absolutely wonderful horror film from France called "Them". It's not a zombie flick. It does have some fantastic suspense in it.

There are so many bad Zombie movies it's not even funny, but when you find one that makes you actually feel something other than contempt, you've found something good.

Check Out My Blog at....

http://madrobotstudios.blogspot.com

My portfolio is...

http://www.comicspace.com/madrobotommy
Tommy Allison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 09:21 PM   #16
risingstar
Jedi Order

Fido is a dark comedy which hits the right balance between twisted and campy. It's worth seeing.

risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 10:20 PM   #17
AsOneDead
You got red on you

Dead Alive is one of best zombie flicks out. It's funny and there's so much gore and effects in it.
AsOneDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 07:02 AM   #18
snappahead
Producer
Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Allison View Post
I think I have in my personal collection about 150 or so zombie movies.

In all honesty though, 99.9 percent of them are pure dreck.

There are some stand outs.

The original Night Of The Living Dead, ORIGINAL RELEASE. Has no music, and has the air of being a real documentary. Dawn Of The Dead, the original, for its message.

FIDO, is probably one of my favorite Zombie Comedies. Think Pleasantville meets Lassie, and any zombie flick.

Children Shouldn't Play With Dead Things, is a classic, because it's truly crap, but... has some interesting stuff happening.

Lucio Fulci's Zombi, and Zombi 3, The Beyond, and a whole host of others make the grade. Night Of The Creeps, which is funny, but again utter crap. The most recent installment of the Resident Evil franchise is watchable, but not exactly a zombie movie.

When it comes right down to it, Zombies are a nihilistic construct, and the inevitability of becoming one is essentially about the loss of one's identity. Everyone fears that. It's why the Alien movies work so well.

I just watched an absolutely wonderful horror film from France called "Them". It's not a zombie flick. It does have some fantastic suspense in it.

There are so many bad Zombie movies it's not even funny, but when you find one that makes you actually feel something other than contempt, you've found something good.
Wow, 150 zombie movies. You've been through more suffering than I can imagine. As much as I love zombies, you're so right. To love them is to know pain. For every "good" one, there's 20 terrible ones.

I'll definitely take these recommendations to heart and order a few to see what I think. Zombie fiction is great, but I've all but run out of books to read on the subject..decent ones anyways.
Old 03-30-2008, 07:03 AM   #19
snappahead
Producer
Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsOneDead View Post
Dead Alive is one of best zombie flicks out. It's funny and there's so much gore and effects in it.
Dead Alive is certainly a wacky flick. There's something so cool about wonky old school special effects and make up though. They use it all in Dead Alive.
Old 03-30-2008, 07:27 AM   #20
Zurbaran1
Mod Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNovak View Post
One of the great unknown and underrated zombie films of all time IMO is "Dead and Buried", it is a fantastic movie with a sort of a twist ending that you don't see coming. I don't know where a person could even get it, but see it if you can

That's easy, go to Amazon.com, they have it in stock.
Zurbaran1 is offline   Reply With Quote