Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Hot Toys

Old 01-06-2015, 08:30 PM   #31
spider-man
Knife to the Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silas Loki View Post
I get that there are collectors that agonise over the slightest details, but for me the whole thing gets so tiresome and needlessly critical that I wonder if those people actually draw any satisfaction from the hobby.

I, like many others out there, enjoy the Star Wars franchise, I recognise characters and key costumes. I have no idea (nor want to) of the minute differences in Vader's costume from one film to the next. Is there any fluff that specifically charts (and gives reasons) why Vader would have changed his suit over that period? Or are people getting hung up on something that was actually a wardrobe issue within the filming studio and not intended to be intregal to the character or the story?

Well , that's just the problem then isn't it. You just enjoy the franchise, where some of us love it. Over the years you get to know the different details of the movies. Those details then become glaring , and as far as I'm concerned deal breakers. If your going to do an epIV vader then do it right. Im not saying it's not a good vader it's just that coming from hot toys I expect more as their attention to detail is top notch. The one thing on an EpIV vader is the helmet, the helmet on the epIV vader is very unique to the trilogy and this helmet looks to be a mix of a few helmets.

Would you like if someone did a bad sculpt of harrison ford and called it han solo? Then why would you like a bad sculpt of vaders helmet? I was wondering if I was alone on this and went to the freak boards and found that I was far from alone and there are people who know tons more there about the differences between the helmets than me.
spider-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 10:25 AM   #32
DynamicMenace
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silas Loki View Post
I get that there are collectors that agonise over the slightest details, but for me the whole thing gets so tiresome and needlessly critical that I wonder if those people actually draw any satisfaction from the hobby.

I, like many others out there, enjoy the Star Wars franchise, I recognise characters and key costumes. I have no idea (nor want to) of the minute differences in Vader's costume from one film to the next. Is there any fluff that specifically charts (and gives reasons) why Vader would have changed his suit over that period? Or are people getting hung up on something that was actually a wardrobe issue within the filming studio and not intended to be intregal to the character or the story?

well as you know im one of those people whio want to see Vader film accurate. but i can tell you YES. i still get enjoyment out of this hobby regardless of how the design is on a particular charter. or one of my favorites, Darth Vader. i have and had several Darth Vader pieces (GG's "whats thy bidding my master", "hasbro cinematic", "Applause Vader standing on rebel helmet" and i had "SS ANH PF" and the "Kenner cinima cast" along with the Hasbro Unleashed Vaders, and others) that are inaccurate to whats seen on film. but i still enjoy(ed) them for what they are.

even though disappointments of inaccuracies are mentioned when a favorite character is revealed. i think what it boils down to is the nostalgic connection those collectors have (including myself) to their favorite character or charters that remind them of their childhood. and what they would really like to see come to fruition on a piece they want to collect.

as far as Vader changing his costume from film to film. no there was not any specific reasons given why his suit changed from film to film. but there were changes non the less that are clearly noticeable. and with the slight modifications to the suits in the OT. and him being shown in the isolation chamber in the ESB and then his brand new (and younger looking design) for ROTS. its purely logical to realize that he would in fact have had things change over a period of time even though they were not in the spot light. like wear and tear of his suit and upgrades to the suit to make it better or repaired after battle or a significant amount of time of usage.

this is a nice looking figure, its just that some of us would like to see something that represents what was seen on film as accurately as possible. like for example the Mythos Vader. even though that was a mash up between the ANH and ROTS suits, i think thats the best we have seen of a close to film accurate Vader (design and proportions wise) in a collectible.
and as i said before. with HT's reputation of accuracy and likeness. something that they are renowned for. i (like many others im sure) am a bit surprised that this one isn't a spot on likeness of what was seen on film. its an extremely nice stylized version dont get me wrong. but not spot on film accurate which i would expect HT to produce. maybe its in the licensing agreement that they cant do that? i dont know. but that could be a possibility.

and as much as the complaints of some collectors who want to see film accuracy is tiresome to you. it is just as tiresome to the collectors for the constant inaccuracies of the pieces that are made by companies that those certain collectors want to see made film accurate. and thats all I want to see one day. is a film accurate Vader statue. does this mean i wont purchase a somewhat inaccurate Vader piece? NO, not at all.
DynamicMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 10:30 AM   #33
rykerw1701
Justice League

We are an anal group, aren't we? I know I wouldn't want to try to make something to sell to us.

Having said that, I turned up my nose at the "Temple of Doom" Indy Hot Toy because I didn't think it looked enough like Ford, so I certainly can't fault anyone for not loving the upcoming Vader.
rykerw1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 10:33 AM   #34
DynamicMenace

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider-man View Post
Well , that's just the problem then isn't it. You just enjoy the franchise, where some of us love it. Over the years you get to know the different details of the movies. Those details then become glaring , and as far as I'm concerned deal breakers. If your going to do an epIV vader then do it right. Im not saying it's not a good vader it's just that coming from hot toys I expect more as their attention to detail is top notch. The one thing on an EpIV vader is the helmet, the helmet on the epIV vader is very unique to the trilogy and this helmet looks to be a mix of a few helmets.

Would you like if someone did a bad sculpt of harrison ford and called it han solo? Then why would you like a bad sculpt of vaders helmet? I was wondering if I was alone on this and went to the freak boards and found that I was far from alone and there are people who know tons more there about the differences between the helmets than me.
good post man, you beat me to it.. and kept it shorter.lol

but i wanted to give him a bit more insight on why people like you and i want to see a film accurate Vader. as i stated, not every inaccuracy is a deal breaker for me. but a film accurate Vader , especially ANH Vader is what i want to see happen one day.

and thats exactly what im talking about. HT's reputation for accuracy. it should be expected to see that in these SW pieces they are making. would have liked to have seen the accuracy in the stormtroopers as well.

the reasons of the inaccuracy is not what kept me from purchasing this figure. it is the scale. and knwoung that they have the 1/4 scale licnese for SW, im going to hold out and pary they do a 1/4 scale veriosn of an ANH Vader. and hope that the film accuracy (or as close as possible) will be present on that one. if its somewhat close ill be getting it.
Old 01-07-2015, 10:36 AM   #35
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

I think the reason movie people change these costumes movie to movie is because the merchandisers know there are many who will buy the many different types of toys/collectibles. So you guys are succumbing to their marketing hype and strategies. Suckers!
Old 01-07-2015, 11:18 AM   #36
DynamicMenace

just as you do for the Disney items you purchase
Old 01-28-2015, 08:48 AM   #37
Kylo Ren
Doh!

Quote:
Hey Star Wars fans, we have a great news to share with you all! We are delighted to reveal the latest prototype of the Interrogator Droid, the “frightening” accessory for the Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope: 1/6th scale Darth Vader Collectible Figure.
"And now, your Highness, we will discuss the location of your hidden Rebel base."
Kylo Ren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 09:58 AM   #38
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Broke down and ordered this.
Old 01-28-2015, 11:50 AM   #39
DynamicMenace

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbr3bagshotrow View Post
Broke down and ordered this.
HAHA suckah!!

im holding off hoping they will be making a 1/4 scale version thats more film accurate.
Old 01-28-2015, 12:03 PM   #40
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamicMenace View Post
HAHA suckah!!

im holding off hoping they will be making a 1/4 scale version thats more film accurate.
If they (HT or SS) put out a new 1/4 scale I'll be getting that too.