Old 01-04-2014, 01:00 AM   #21
Spazzy
Hercules

edible statues??
Spazzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 01:45 PM   #22
fdileague
Fantastic Four

Any possibilities with licencing ties ins to personal 3d printed projects maybe? Who wouldn't want their head on a stormtrooper, or as one of the cast of walking dead.

hmmmmmm.
fdileague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 02:01 PM   #23
Darth Madden
Luke Cage

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdileague View Post
Any possibilities with licencing ties ins to personal 3d printed projects maybe? Who wouldn't want their head on a stormtrooper, or as one of the cast of walking dead.

hmmmmmm.
Oh.... I'm in.
Darth Madden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 02:50 PM   #24
built2shred
Phoenix

IMO, it's never a good thing when big companies buy smaller ones... Customer Service will probably nose dive followed by cheaper made statues in order to maximize profits...

I hope I'm wrong..
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 03:44 PM   #25
VS1976
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

When is Lucky going to ready for preorder? I hope with the new acquisition, it would speed up the process.
VS1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 03:59 PM   #26
Sithlord32
New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazzy View Post
edible statues??
I shot milk outta my nose. Thanks
Sithlord32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 10:32 PM   #27
Meteor Man
Imperial Guardsman

Fascinating news. When I worked for a rapid prototyping company, all of our 3D printers were made by 3D Systems...
Meteor Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 08:49 AM   #28
JP Sarri
Retired Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by built2shred View Post
IMO, it's never a good thing when big companies buy smaller ones... Customer Service will probably nose dive followed by cheaper made statues in order to maximize profits...

I hope I'm wrong..
That is my concern.

We can all agree that 3D Systems has the tools and can provide the funding for future GG projects but they lack the experience necessary in this field. I am not talking about the technology but the management expertise. After all, this is a tricky and ever changing business, if they do not know it from the inside out, they can stumble at every step and suffer costly setbacks. Many companies have closed their doors in the past because of the same type of mistakes.

My point is this, as long as 3D Systems give the people at GG free realm of operation while they provide the technology and the financial backing, everything is going to run smoothly with great dividends for both parties. After all, GG is at crossroads right now and it has the momentum to keep pushing forward.

Sideshow -you better watch out!
JP Sarri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 09:19 AM   #29
Silas Loki
Jubilee

Perhaps......perhaps that's the point of this event, from Gentle Giants perspective. I don't know the figures / facts, but my gut tells me that GG is a smaller company than Sideshow. In order to aggressively compete at the same level as SS, GG may need the backing of a larger organisation.
Silas Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 10:06 AM   #30
JP Sarri
Retired Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silas Loki View Post
Perhaps......perhaps that's the point of this event, from Gentle Giants perspective. I don't know the figures / facts, but my gut tells me that GG is a smaller company than Sideshow. In order to aggressively compete at the same level as SS, GG may need the backing of a larger organisation.
Of course. In order to compete with Sideshow, GG needs wider exposure and free access to state of the art technology. All of this requires big investment. Something that small companies do not have. 3D systems can provide that and a secure environment for the development of new ideas. But you also have to be prepared to get the other side of the coin.

There are not proper statistics that can determine how the market is going to react with certain products and certain changes, specially in high end collectibles. Companies tend to make adjustments to maximize profits, even at the cost of quality. After all, they are on this for the money. Big companies buy small companies as an investment, not because they are in love with the hobby. If they are unfamiliar with the field of operation, they can cause harm instead of good. Trying to run a high end collectible company as a cheap toy manufacturer can kill people's desire to buy your products and therefore your business. Many small companies have suffered this fate in the hands of uncroupolous investors.

This is nothing new so there is no reason to be alarmed for now. In the financial markets, big fish always swallows small fish. As they say, "it is business as usual". Some companies can handle the changes well but others are unprepared to tackle the challenge. As in every buyout, people get hurt, regardless of the good intentions. Removal, relocation, lay offs, etc. are common occurrences while companies restructure themselves to accommodate the new management. After all, the big fish is the king of the pond; what he says goes.
JP Sarri is offline   Reply With Quote