Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 01-15-2018, 05:57 PM   #51
Fremen
Birds of Prey

The only thing I worry about in my garage is mice.
Fremen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 05:58 PM   #52
Gothamite
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fremen View Post
The only thing I worry about in my garage is mice.
Doesn't seem like it should be a problem.

Gothamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 05:59 PM   #53
GaryTonge
Kingpin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothamite View Post
Doesn't seem like it should be a problem.

Good one!
GaryTonge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 06:53 PM   #54
ZenLogikos
S.H.I.E.L.D.
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by napski View Post
Good day everyone!

I just started collecting, so I have about 6 boxes out in the garage since I do not have room in my house for them.

I live in Maine, so the temps can get extremely cold and it is cold out in my garage. In the summer, it can get a bit warm and humid sometimes.

Are they safe out there or are they going to get ruined over time. I have a feeling that they are.

I would hate to rent out a storage space just to keep the boxes in there...

Any thoughts or suggestions?

-Napski
What is "ruined" to you? Mold? Insects? Fading?
Extreme heat and cold (colder than ~50F and warmer than ~80F, and/or temperature swings greater than 20F in a 24 hour period) will absolutely damage paper products, every minute it's exposed. Moisture/humidity will only worsen things.

Keeping it in perspective - these aren't art prints. I personally don't care about the brown shipper. They're easily replaced. If you value the art box, bag it to prevent moisture/mold. It will still fade some, but probably too slowly to notice much, if at all. Keep it out of direct sunlight, and/or put it in an opaque bag (typical black trash bag).
ZenLogikos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 07:17 PM   #55
French Cancan
Deadman

BURN IT ALL
French Cancan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 07:29 PM   #56
mmk123
3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

I definitely would say to keep everything. I think every collector does experience the space issue of "where to store the boxes" but somehow we do manage.

about 4 years ago, I went to my LCBS to get my weekly stash of comics and when I got there on the one counter were about 50 Bowen mini busts and statues. The mini busts were between $15 and $30 and the statues ran about $60. They told me that a longtime customer brought all of them in but why they were so cheap was because even though everything was in a box this customer threw away the styrofoam inserts and every statue and even though they were in their boxes, there were packing peanuts protecting the merchandise. The manager said that this person got a fraction of what he normally would have gotten because there were no inserts. I am sure that this person did not expect to ever sell his stuff but I am sure he was disappointed when he saw that he got quite a bit less than what he anticipated. (it was also on that day that I purchased my first Full Size Bowen statue which was the first Black Widow statue he did for a mere $60).
mmk123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 10:09 AM   #57
Valderen
The Spirit

Well I am officially out of room for boxes. I still have a lot of room for more statues, but not for boxes.

I'm going to have to throw away boxes for any new statue I get, so I'm actually thinking of just getting rid of all of them and reclaiming some space in the process. I mean, if I'm not going to keep them all, why keep any at all.

I'm not planning on selling any of them anyways, and not going to move at this point in my life.

I made the decision a few weeks ago, but still haven't thrown any away...why is this so difficult?
Valderen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 11:09 AM   #58
qz33
Doctor Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valderen View Post
Well I am officially out of room for boxes. I still have a lot of room for more statues, but not for boxes.

I'm going to have to throw away boxes for any new statue I get, so I'm actually thinking of just getting rid of all of them and reclaiming some space in the process. I mean, if I'm not going to keep them all, why keep any at all.

I'm not planning on selling any of them anyways, and not going to move at this point in my life.

I made the decision a few weeks ago, but still haven't thrown any away...why is this so difficult?
Because things change.
qz33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 11:09 AM   #59
Eky
Cross country skiing is great if you live in a small country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valderen View Post

there might be a road in the middle :

keep the box and make them flat, store them in flat pile.
throw the styrofaom away.

best compromise maybe,
i just thought of it and i think i ll do that myself.
Eky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 11:10 AM   #60
qz33
Doctor Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eky View Post
there might be a road in the middle :

keep the box and make them flat, store them in flat pile.
throw the styrofaom away.

best compromise maybe,
i just thought of it and i think i ll do that myself.
Better than nothing. I started that and just finally realized I had to have more space.
qz33 is offline   Reply With Quote